Needing recommendations on a Turntable! And source!

No idea, beyond my expertise.

One protip based on what I saw in that rolling stone list: never NEVER, buy one with a built in speaker. It’s a waste. You’ll get better audio quality off a cheaper plug up or bt speaker. And that built in speaker is gonna take money off the top of the other parts. Just my 2c here but yeah. Miss that shit.

If I were you I’d probably go for this or that BT Audio Technica one.

That, and it’s mine. I don’t lose my entire collection because I don’t pay the terrorists every month.

Yes. Ten years ago, my kid and I got a Crosley because we wanted something NOW. We upgraded with a thirty-year-old TT from an estate sale.

I gave the Crosley to my Syrian kids so they could spin 78s during the holiday break and told them to keep it. lol

1 Like

Makes a lot of sense. I imagine that a turntable could boost the bonding opportunities over music since vinyl is so tactile and can sound really nice, especially to young ears. True story: in the gym the other day a young guy was astounded to learn that “stereo music” involves two speakers, not just the one. He’d always thought one speaker was the way to go. He had no idea.

This is also a strong argument the for “it’s mine” angle. :arrow_down:

I gave up on vinyl years ago and never really looked back. PITA to move, heavy, endless cleaning, dropping needles, the inevitable scratches. On the other hand: the album art, dropping a record into its sleeve slip then it’s cover slip then sliding it back into storage slip, that white magic tactile ritual. Six of one. I thought CDs were a godsend.

It’s interesting that vinyl seems so impervious to change, even though it doesn’t work for me.

Best of luck y’all.

1 Like

Technics 1200 is actually really good. The only gripe I have is it doesn’t play 78 rpm records (but supposedly those records are rare as hen’s teeth anyhow).

But I just found it fun to play a 33 rpm record at 78 rpm and get all the high pitched voices on it. But on the Technic 1200 you can spin the thing backward or whatever to get your interesting sound.

The tech and the wax itself have evolved. I just bought a 180-gram reissue of Bear’s Choice. It’s beautiful.

And Jack White’s Lazaretto album was a very high bar. The thing has a spinning hologram in it, among other things.

1 Like

it’s nice as an aesthetic thing but if you actually just want to listen, no reason to get one of them.

yeah it’s a legendary table, I’ve no doubts it’s good. And I do have a 78 back home, but yeah. It’s real old.

i definitely feel like Jack White’s heavy distortion style might not be best suited for vinyl, though, as it is a documented fact that heavy noises in the bass regions can skip the needle. But if it does that, well, that’s just cuz JW goes so hard :smiley:

this is definitely a huge part of the appeal. Durability better, generally less popping & other record noise, and increased dynamic range are among some of the improvements. Unfortunately for SOME older music, some of these 180g reissues have decided to use a 90s loudness war CD remaster as the basis for the pressing… Which is just sad. Just listening to a CD on the wrong medium :smiley: again, not to imply that the originals were always super well put together either.
That said, tonnes of new hi-fi being put out with good mastering on the 180s.

Lots of ups and downs. For me the main appeal is simply dedicating to album listening, and ofc there’s something fun about switching shit around.

Eh - sometimes you just wanna have fun. A built in speaker for an all in one (as long as you can connect externally as well - if you care) is good stuff. :wink:

Bought a record player because of the child. The album art, slowness, ritual, patience to listen to an album… it was worth spending a few hundred bucks. Otherwise, f’ that, streaming all the way. :wink:

1 Like

fair fair, i just don’t see why OP would want that if he could get like the ATH one and hook it up to his likely superior BT speakers.

A crime against humanity.

And I agree about the connection vinyl forges. Getting my teen age son into vinyl has given us a lifelong, so far!, hobby that we both value tremendously.

1 Like

Vinyls on the way out, cassettes are where it’s at. Mix tapes ftw!

2 Likes

Melters are a whole thing now in the States. Melter Dead bootlegs are golden!

1 Like

I found a shop near guanhua selling cheap vinyls. Most are Chinese stuff, but I found stuff by Arlo Guthrie (I think he’s woody Guthrie s son), all for 100nt.

I found a Jimi Hendrix album but that’s 650.

Name? Location? please

No idea the name but it’s on the corner of the street once you get out from exit 1 of zhongshao xinseng, get behind the school, and onto the restaurant alley, it’s at the corner of the alley leading to bade rd and to guanhua building. You can’t miss it because they are selling traditional music media, CD’s and such. Such shops are rarer than hen’s teeth now.

You get what you pay for. Cheap isn’t a euphemism for quality.

And seriously, take a picture next time. That would be so much more helpful than your directions.

I just needed records to make sure the turntables I’m fixing work. I don’t have money to go spending nearly 100USD on a damn record that I can listen to on spotify.

I don’t care if it’s some crap old tune, as long as it isn’t mandopop that’s fine. They got some good albums that are a bit more expensive, like a Jimi Hendrix one for 650.

1 Like

Can you simply drop a pin on a map? I just went through the area on google street view. No luck.

And Jimi Hendrix is probably the most overrated noise maker in rock history imo.

It’s the best I can do

It’s not going to be albums published in the west, it’s albums published in Taiwan, but they got some stuff. A lot cheaper than VD but it’s not going to have the selection.