Needing recommendations on a Turntable! And source!

I was thinking about pairing my records with a turntable… otherwise they’re just decorative. Any recommendations for my first turntable in like 40 years?

1 Like

A budget would be a good start :sweat_smile: fuckin expensive, they can be

1 Like

No budget, no problem.

I just got a Bluetooth turntable from Eslite. Cost me 10k. Easy to set up, works great.

Audio Technica.

The next level AT, really nice one, is about 16k.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s probably similar to the one I have back at home, although I don’t think mine has any bluetooth capabilities. AT-LP-120?

I have this one, now appearing in three threads!

1 Like

price, any desired features (automatic, upgradeable tonearm, etc), what you’re hooking it to?

ah, upon second review (looking at the price on Shopee) it seems that I’ve got the 16,000 one back in the states… although it didn’t cost that much there.

1 Like

That’s a nice set up. If it has BT it would be in my living room.

Goodness. My initial standards won’t be too high. I don’t know if this is something I want to collect or pursue. I’ve a feeling a BT speaker set up, not perfect, but it’s what I already got might be the way to go. We also have a bunch of tapes (not played in years) and CDs. LOL! But after the recent shenanigans… cutting music & video content… Well, streaming will only be for new content that I test out, I guess.

Technics SL1200 seems to be pretty good. It’s more of a DJ turntable. One in working order is like about 15,000nt or so. I remember reading someone here bought them from Japan for like 1500nt or so.

It’s nice and heavy for one…

If you get these vintage turntables, you WILL need a phono preamp if you want to use it on any old speaker, or it will sound scratchy and bad (not to mention tinny and all that). Photo cartridge simply doesn’t have enough output to work on a standard preamp…

Get something simple and if you like it, can jump up to a more modular one. Just don’t get a super shit turntable. Sth like JD recommend is probably pretty good – AT makes decent audio equipment, mostly, and their tables are better than most of their headphone offerings. If you want even simpler, could just get an ATH LP60. I’m sure there are other good offerings on a budget but I’d have to look into it, I had the LP60 and then upgraded to the 120 so I could have slightly higher fidelity. But if you’re working off BT speakers, a lossy BT connection, etc. I don’t think you need to go wild for sure. Not trying to shit on the BT stuff, btw, I get the appeal for sure, bit for my use case it wasn’t optimal. I suppose you could probably but oke of those “make wired headphones wireless” dongles and make anything BT, tbh, but a built in one is almost certainly better.

2 Likes

Not in the market, but I am curious. Why vinyl? Why not stream?

I realize that vinyl is niche thriving parts of the US, but in a place like Taiwan - where apartment sizes are pretty small … ?

Is it the ritual of it all?

1 Like

So, based on this, it doesn’t really matter. Get something, have fun. ;D Maybe a cheap suitcase guy w/ bluetooth like a crosley:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JT2H7CD

Some other cheap options:

1 Like

Because

A turntable is otherwise needed to play my vinyl record collection.

BTW, haven’t you heard the recent Sony Warner media debacle where it turns out you don’t actually own your ‘bought’ media’? That doesn’t bother me too much yet. But it is at the back of my mind.

1 Like

Andrew at Black Glue Records currently has about 4 Technics 1200s for sale. Very reasonably priced. About 13,000 each.

Black Glue is located inside 23 Public on Fuxing S Rd. Taipei. Very close to NTU

No. 332號, Section 2, Fuxing S Rd, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106

3 Likes

Zing! :grin:

Yeah, if you have a collection of albums you’ve kept for a long time then you would obviously need a turntable. Especially if the old one went on the blink. That makes good sense.

Do you buy new albums? For new music?

eta: I think vinyl is niche thriving in Japan, too, so the tech (turntable out to pre-amp or powered speakers or via bluetooth or wifi or whatever) to support vinyl is likely pretty accessible in Taiwan.

Also Vinyl Decision… owner got a bunch of Technic 1200 in various condition. I’m fixing one for him right now.

2 Likes

Buyer beware, there’s a lot of fakes/counterfeits of those, particularly the Technics SL1210 MK2 onwards. Genuine originals now sell for more than their original retail price, due to their iconic status in the garage and drum ‘n’ bass scenes. UK rave hardcore too.

stares off into the middle-distance, thinking of times past that I was too young to enjoy…

2 Likes

How do you know if one’s a fake?

Or actually buying parts for it, how do I know it’s a real part?

I mean they’re designed for DJ’s, so are good for scratching and such…

And yea, I love to scratch with really traditional sounding records… especially if it’s boring music.