Negative aspects of quarantine in Taiwan

And this is why there is inspection of food and personal items at the government quarantine facilities.

1 Like

So it basically is a prison system… I don’t advocate drugs of any kind, but where’s the probable cause to this kind of search. Perhaps if someone has a record of drug use or dealing, or if there is something extremely suspicious about the package, then I’d say it’s ok to search.
If they do this to everyone’s stuff, it isn’t sanitary having everyone’s dirty fingers in your food.

When my spouse stayed at two different Q hotels (twice in 2021), I packed him a nice assortment of freshly prepared food and some craft beers. They never searched his goodie bags and even better, promptly delivered them so his meals were still hot.

When you’re in the quarantine hotel, people already feel sad, so I wouldn’t advocate going through people’s belongings as if they are criminals.

8 Likes

Is it though? I don’t know of any prison system that let me bring a laptop in and play video games. Have a cell phone, nice bed etc… Feels a little hyperbolic.

So you’re ok with searching your belongings without probable cause? Maybe they can just want into your house whenever they want?

4 Likes

Did you try opening your door and going for a stroll?

I’m sure when Klaus Schwab’s brave new world comes to pass, and we’re all sitting down for a meal of fried bug protein under the benevolent gaze of the security cameras in our living rooms, there will be certain people saying “well, it’s not really tyranny; after all, our ancestors were really under the boot, and had barely anything to eat. We should be grateful for our bug-meal”.

4 Likes

I did. I strolled all over my balcony.

When the boy cries wolf too many times, the people learn to not believe him.

English prisons?

Prison has many definitions. One of them is a state of captivity or confinement. Not everyone was fortunate enough to have a balcony. If we had been confined to our own homes, this would be a different story. Going through people’s belongings as if they have no privacy rights is how people who are confined are treated.

11 Likes

Exactly. Where are people heading with this? Anyone can have thenselves or their possessions searched without reason? For ‘contraband’ (nicely vague and actually incorrect).

This isn’t hyperbole. It’s really serious.

10 Likes

I think we should March on parliament.

They can try to take my gin away during quarantine. Good luck to 'em

No, no. Some people might lose their parking spots.

In a way, it must be nice to be able to misrepresent reality so completely to oneself that one is disturbed by nothing. In that state, one can be humiliated, abused, and have one’s agency taken away without even noticing that something is wrong. It’s almost a skill.

3 Likes

Where am I misrepresenting reality? I can look at a prison, I can look at a quarantine hotel. I can confidently say they are not the same.

I have trust in our democracy.

You just answered your own question.

2 Likes

Then I think you are the one misrepresenting reality if you’re not able to compare differences in two completely different things.

If you ignore the differences in everything, then everything looks the same.

And if you ignore the similarities…

1 Like

I have not ignored the similarities one bit.

But the differences are clear as day.

:slight_smile: I brought some much needed French vodka to pair with Netflix in the evenings. I kept to a schedule because I was working and I was afraid of turning into jello without any place to go to. Literally, work at the desk, have online meetings, exercise, study new things, then Netflix at night.
I had nightmares for a few weeks after. My real Q hotel had a high floor but in my nightmare, it was ground level, and there was an office right beside my window and I could see people working, having meetings…

4 Likes

Guilty until proven innocent it would seem!

Likely breaking quarantine rules in the process!

Until the quarantine people decide they don’t like the video games you’re playing and decide to confiscate your laptop!

How have they decided that drinking alcohol is verboten and that they have the power to search for and confiscate your alcohol?! They appear to have assigned themselves more search and seizure powers that the police have.

6 Likes