Negative aspects of quarantine in Taiwan

Only when the majority has been imprisoned this may end?

Now travelers arriving have no say, but what about people in Quarantine being a close contact wanting to drink a beer?

But yeah, keep the propaganda machine rollin rollin rollin and people will continue to support this and shout out that this is right!
(alcohol is forbidden in Taiwan qurantine facilities and hotels, it’s not only about illegal drugs, much more saying a big F**K you, you should not have been a contact).

Sorry but whoever is saying Taiwan won’t become a second Hong Kong seems to have pink glasses on…
This is how media zero covid is played.

8 Likes

I’m willing to bet against that Taiwan is going to be a ‘second hong kong’.

So when it never materialises, I can say, I told you so.

3 Likes

BTW - they must be really scared of those prisoners, or of those prisoners comittting suicide. As I am pretty sure another policy is no knives.
When I asked them how to eat my pineapple without a knife, the quarantine facility said they cannot provide knifes…

But yeah explains even more why it takes ages to get your food in the prison cells. They need to search everything now.
This is just in your best interest, right?

Next they take your chairs away, cause you could smash the windows and jump out? Other ideas for Zero Media Covid in Zerocovidstan?

1 Like

“Alcohol is forbidden in Taiwan qurantine facilities and hotels.”
My friends both spent 14 days in Q and had no problem with their SOs bringing alcohol to their hotel lobby for staff to deliver to their rooms.

4 Likes

I’ll be starting quarantine soon and am smuggling two bottles of wine in which they’ll have to pry from my cold, dead hands.

6 Likes

Don’t get banned from Forumosa then , or you will get bad cold turkey.

I have a theory about the alcohol ban: a bottle of vodka can be used for suicide. They’ve already had four, IIRC, and any more will look like bad PR.

EDIT: oops, I see topofan already said that.

Likely private hotels, the state run “prisons” don’t allow it

"Chen Shih-chung, said that there had been “many cases” of contraband and drugs being seized before, so inspections were necessary. Management of the quarantine facilities are relatively strict, Chen explained. “The strictness brings safety, but the price is a bit of privacy that may feel violated,” Chen said.’

Wow very police state of them
Not surprised at all though

6 Likes

Yes many cases of alcohol likely and some others. Chen sees you as a prisoner, that is very clear. And Zero media covid works better that way

1 Like

I can kinda see where he is coming from. While they didn’t check my luggage despite the fact that all of my luggage was booze and chocolate, when you have to manage a drunk person that could try to leave the hotel room or someone that could get violent or having to care for someone that is in need of medical attention because they drank too much too fast… There are a lot of issues with irresponsibility that I can see why the government doesn’t want to deal with.

This is a strawman.

1 Like

This is really a horrible. A deterrent to visiting Taiwan?

If I read this right they trashed a college girls care package given by her family. I’d say that is a step too far personally.

Edit. That quarantine facility would have a lawsuit and an administrative appeal filed so fast if they ever tried that with me.

I totally agree. But I can see the other side too. I think there can be better handling by the government though.

1 Like

If they force you into quarantine for being one of those thousands of close contacts, they should make those prison rooms liveable. Needing such rules as no knives, no alcohol and so shoes what your Quarantine room really is.

2 Likes

I did quarantine. Did you forget?

The zealous enthusiasm with which a significant number of people enforce new ‘rules’ such as these is sad to see.

3 Likes

Me too, twice actually in Taiwan. Second time they opened my bags looking for alcohol. Didn’t allow me a knife so I can cut a pineapple but otherwise I knew what I can expect.
But I see this as a personal choice, it’s different if you have to quarantine because being in the same room as someone who may habe been positive, or same class/school whatever. If you force people into quarantine for that make sure it’s not a prison but be sure to offer high living standards. Provide proper food not crappy one and offer a menu choice since people can order. Offer sports possibilities and so on. Taiwan however throws you into a decent room (of lucky) but the rest is sometimes worse than prison. Hence already 4 suicides.

Look at Thailand. It was only really nice 5 star hotels for quarantine. If Thailand had pulled a Taiwan, tourism would be damaged for decades. And they know it so once they offered quarantine hotels/bubbles it was a really different level… (Well of course Taiwan actually doesn’t have that many nice hotels but proper food would be a start).

3 Likes

The obvious solution would be to provide free alcohol, up to a certain limit. It wouldn’t cost them much and it might make the “we only want what’s best for you” seem slightly less laughable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be against this.

1 Like