Negative Propaganda towards Foreigners having an effect on Locals - BE CAREFUL

Be thankful that it’s not at Korea’s level of xenophobia. Let’s hope the video is fake but even if so…bad choices were made.

busanhaps.com/article/video- … ht-be-fake

The other thing I discovered is the average Korean got about 10% longer Summer break this year…from 4 to 4.3 days :roflmao: . But Korea POWER-UP!

4.3 days vacation a year and half of them take it at the end of July. Sounds like fun. Not. The only thing is at least pay there isn’t at poverty levels like Taiwan.

On the topic of the interaction of foreign men and local women, I am starting to notice an increase in the opinion people have of me when I tell them that

1. I have been in a stable relationship for 99% of my time in Taiwan (I was single for about 2 months)
  2. my fiance and soon to be wife is not Taiwanese

Point (2) in particular brings about great surprise and increased friendliness. Kind of messed up and a tad racist, if yoy ask me.

[quote=“Novaspes”]On the topic of the interaction of foreign men and local women, I am starting to notice an increase in the opinion people have of me when I tell them that

1. I have been in a stable relationship for 99% of my time in Taiwan (I was single for about 2 months)

Point (2) in particular brings about great surprise and increased friendliness. Kind of messed up and a tad racist, if yoy ask me.[/quote]

Oh racism is the correct term. For people who can’t stop explaining the distinction between “Taiwanese” and “Mainlanders” when abroad, to the point that so called foreigners want to throw up, making no distinction between and being totally ignorant of the diverse backgrounds of foreigners within Taiwan seems ridiculous.

Oh right, Taiwanese abroad call the local people “foreigners”. This island definitely has a problem of racism in people’s heads. And while racism is no longer institutionalized in most cases, people here really need to revise the way in which they group people. Otherwise they will look like backwards tribal peasants who never heard of globalization. The irony here is that for many decades Taiwanese have emigrated, i.e. to the United States and boldly demanded equal rights and recognition as normal US citizens. Only imagine the outrage if Americans with APRC or JFRV on their path to ROC citizenship were to establish a Western Heritage Citizens Alliance in Taiwan. There’d be more than just a few demanding to “strip the foreigners of their Taiwan passports amd send them back home to America”.

During the past few weeks, people have been asking me this:
“So do you go to nightclubs? I heard that foreigners like to go to nightclubs and bars a lot”.
I get it at least a couple of times a week. Before the recent incidents in the news, I never got asked at all. This is really starting to grind my gears.

I was asked those questions regularly over a decade ago, same ole stuff…how many girlfriends do you have, how about one-night stands etc etc.

But what troubles me the most is the sweeping assumptions that people make based on appearance, and the fact they themselves nor anyone else notices it or owns up to it as racial stereotyping.
I remember a couple of my Taiwanese friends got really riled up about the ‘chink in the armour’ incident on ESPN. Then I pointed out the “taiwan girls are easy” video from the Apple Daily as evidence of racism in Taiwan’s media too.
They told me “But that’s not racist. Foreigners in Taiwan actually do that! So it’s not racist.”
That made me angry for days. The ignorance is just… Overwhelming.

No need to get angry or upset. It is a waste of your time. when people i have just met ask me if i like going to bars and nightclub ( which I Don’t) i just answer, " do you practice Kung Fu"? :bow:
at the end they get it, trust me :slight_smile:

lol @brobonek! i can relate, i have had to pull the old gong fu card many a time. what is worse is questions about my physical appearance that would definitely be considered rude back home. i didn’t really want to drop to their level but i am getting pretty tired of it now. next person who does it i am not gonna hold back on their disgusting 1 foot long ear hairs, 2 feet long wart hair or whatever else is easy pickings for the person in question.

But those are for good luck!!! :sick: :laughing:

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Novaspes”]On the topic of the interaction of foreign men and local women, I am starting to notice an increase in the opinion people have of me when I tell them that

Point (2) in particular brings about great surprise and increased friendliness. Kind of messed up and a tad racist, if yoy ask me.[/quote]

Oh racism is the correct term. For people who can’t stop explaining the distinction between “Taiwanese” and “Mainlanders” when abroad, to the point that so called foreigners want to throw up, making no distinction between and being totally ignorant of the diverse backgrounds of foreigners within Taiwan seems ridiculous.

Oh right, Taiwanese abroad call the local people “foreigners”. This island definitely has a problem of racism in people’s heads. And while racism is no longer institutionalized in most cases, people here really need to revise the way in which they group people. Otherwise they will look like backwards tribal peasants who never heard of globalization. The irony here is that for many decades Taiwanese have emigrated, i.e. to the United States and boldly demanded equal rights and recognition as normal US citizens. Only imagine the outrage if Americans with APRC or JFRV on their path to ROC citizenship were to establish a Western Heritage Citizens Alliance in Taiwan. There’d be more than just a few demanding to “strip the foreigners of their Taiwan passports amd send them back home to America”.[/quote]

I doubt that very much. Chinese housewives have formed a 20,000 strong political party which should be a lot more threatening but it seems to be accepted.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Novaspes”]On the topic of the interaction of foreign men and local women, I am starting to notice an increase in the opinion people have of me when I tell them that

Oh right, Taiwanese abroad call the local people “foreigners”. This island definitely has a problem of racism in people’s heads. And while racism is no longer institutionalized in most cases, people here really need to revise the way in which they group people. Otherwise they will look like backwards tribal peasants who never heard of globalization. The irony here is that for many decades Taiwanese have emigrated, i.e. to the United States and boldly demanded equal rights and recognition as normal US citizens. Only imagine the outrage if Americans with APRC or JFRV on their path to ROC citizenship were to establish a Western Heritage Citizens Alliance in Taiwan. There’d be more than just a few demanding to “strip the foreigners of their Taiwan passports amd send them back home to America”.[/quote]

I doubt that very much. Chinese housewives have formed a 20,000 strong political party which should be a lot more threatening but it seems to be accepted.[/quote]

I don’t think people know all that much about it, tbh. I think there are a couple of Fili organizations around too, but they’re not widely-acknowledged.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

I doubt that very much. Chinese housewives have formed a 20,000 strong political party which should be a lot more threatening but it seems to be accepted.[/quote]

These housewives from the Mainland are not perceived as foreigners by the average Taiwanese. Neither are Mainland Chinese in general. Ask a sample of 10 Taiwanese friends if someone from Shanghai is a foreigner in Taiwan as compared to a white Canadian. The answers will most likely vary from “not a foreigner” to a very reluctant “not really a foreigner like the Canadian” and that’s already the end of the spectrum.

You will see that when it comes down to it, Chines people will stick together and all that Taiwanese “we are different” talk is revealed to be a sham for some naive foreigners who think otherwise.

Just read that one thread about Poagao going to the bank to ask for a loan adjustment…

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

These housewives from the Mainland are not perceived as foreigners by the average Taiwanese. Neither are Mainland Chinese in general. Ask a sample of 10 Taiwanese friends if someone from Shanghai is a foreigner in Taiwan as compared to a white Canadian. The answers will most likely vary from “not a foreigner” to a very reluctant “not really a foreigner like the Canadian” and that’s already the end of the spectrum.

You will see that when it comes down to it, Chines people will stick together and all that Taiwanese “we are different” talk is revealed to be a sham for some naive foreigners who think otherwise.

Just read that one thread about Poagao going to the bank to ask for a loan adjustment…[/quote]

What thread was that? I don’t recall any threads on that here. If you’re talking about that post I made several years ago about poor customer service at a particular bank branch here, I solved that by going to one of the many other banks we have here, where I’ve been receiving excellent and mostly professional service ever since.

[quote=“Poagao”]

What thread was that? I don’t recall any threads on that here. If you’re talking about that post I made several years ago about poor customer service at a particular bank branch here, I solved that by going to one of the many other banks we have here, where I’ve been receiving excellent and mostly professional service ever since.[/quote]

I meant the one where they asked you how long you’ll stay in Taiwan as if you were a foreigner.
That shows a lot about how some people see non-Han ROC nationals.
The worst I know of is “the foreigner who is a citizen”…

It shows that that particular woman was an idiot. And there are idiots in every society, but I haven’t found her to be representative.

Wait, link? You mean you showed her your ID and she still asked how long where you planning to stay?! :astonished: :roflmao: :cry: :fume: :blush: :noway: