NeoCons Pushed Taiwan to Declare TI, CQ Says

Congressional Quarterly article says NeoCons pushed Taiwan to declare independence …

NeoCons are Stupid

[ul]The same top Bush administration neoconservatives who leap-frogged Washington’s foreign policy establishment to topple Saddam Hussein nearly pulled off a similar coup in U.S.-China relations—creating the potential of a nuclear war over Taiwan, a top aide to former Secretary of State Colin Powell says.

Lawrence B. Wilkerson, the U.S. Army colonel who was Powell’s chief of staff through two administrations, said in little-noted remarks early last month that “neocons” in the top rungs of the administration quietly encouraged Taiwanese politicians to move toward a declaration of independence from mainland China — an act that the communist regime has repeatedly warned would provoke a military strike.

The top U.S. diplomat in Taiwan at the time, Douglas Paal, backs up Wilkerson’s account, which is being hotly disputed by key former defense officials.[/ul]

It’s a long article, well worth reading, believable – chimes with what I know – and scares the living shit out of me. People complain that Chen isn’t communicating well with the US – but how can he, when the US has several identifiable and diametrically opposed China policies?

Michael

Michael, you’ve beat me in posting this article. I thought it was also quite interesting and deserves a read. So it was the neo-con network of U.S. officials working both in Taipei and close to the White House whose activities in hindsight explained the series of diplomatic misunderstandings back in 2004.

It must be an interesting feeling finding out that the TI camp has its share of strange (and dangerous) bedfellows.

I knew Taiwan gets lots of support from right-wingers who mainly see it in terms of getting back at China. But I guess I didn’t really understand the mind-numbing extent of their irresponsible stupidity.

Yes, the history of the last few years is now a lot clearer than it used to be. For example, there was that article by Adm (ret) McDevitt that claimed Taiwan was the tail that wags the dogs. He reported Taiwanese pols had told him that the US would come to their aid should they declare TI. Now we know why they thought that: not because they were whack, but because they had been told that by the NeoCons.

Really, the whole episode shows just how firmly Taipei is committed to the right path. What a temptation that must have been for the hotheads in the DPP…

Michael

I share your sentiments completely on this one. Chen and his supporters probably can afford to be cocky/confident in 2004 because he could expect backing from an influential circle of policymakers back in Washington through Therese Shaheen and others at the AIT. The question now is whether he can count on the same level of support now that there is so much public scrutiny on the neo-cons back in the U.S. over Iraq. Also, international support for the legitimacy of Taiwanese Independence may also wane given the current negative connotations of being associated with the neo-cons.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]I knew Taiwan gets lots of support from right-wingers who mainly see it in terms of getting back at China. But I guess I didn’t really understand the mind-numbing extent of their irresponsible stupidity.

Yes, the history of the last few years is now a lot clearer than it used to be. For example, there was that article by Adm (ret) McDevitt that claimed Taiwan was the tail that wags the dogs. He reported Taiwanese pols had told him that the US would come to their aid should they declare TI. Now we know why they thought that: not because they were whack, but because they had been told that by the NeoCons.

Really, the whole episode shows just how firmly Taipei is committed to the right path. What a temptation that must have been for the hotheads in the DPP…

Michael[/quote]

Well the last time USA had neo-con leadership, Taiwan all of a sudden got democracy and open society.

It depends how you view the relationship. If you subscribe to the belief that USA should lead the region, including the interest of Taiwan, then there really isn’t much criticism. However, if you believe that policies to Taiwan should be ROC centric, there is much to criticize. Since first and foremost USA doesn’t understand nor really care about the political development of Taiwan as the primary concern.

The key to the problem is not about neo-cons in the USA and the political development of Taiwan. But the how does the ROC administration leverage the various spheres of influence in the region to their advantage.

The KMT for better or worst is the only party on Taiwan with the experience in managing the USA and PRC relationship to the benefit of ROC. The KMT can draw upon their experience with the USA and CCP for the past 50 years.

ac - yeah but the KMT’s 50 years of experience was more about what benefits the KMT not what benefits Taiwan.

cfimages,

Besides a sound byte. What are trying to discuss?

After 8 years of DPP administration, one can plainly see that they are interested in improving their own personal lives, instead of improving the island the KMT left for them.

My sound bytes have more substance.

ac, they are trying to do their best when they don’t have “full power”. Even Ma already had a small “mea culpa” when he said that KMT needed to win the LY in order to ensure there will be no political deadlock (he is assuming he will win the Presidency, of course). This only reveals that having the Executive but not the Legislative Yuan creates a deadlock, in which no one rules. So, putting the 8 years of political deadlock into question, how do you measure the performance of Taiwan? I would say it is pretty good…

You mean “all of sudden” as in “all of a sudden, after forty-five years of pro-democracy activism by mainlanders and Taiwanese…”

Vorkosigan

45 years is all of a sudden in the great history of China…

LOL. I ran the CQ article past several insiders I know. The message is the same regardless of political commitment: Wilkerson has no clue. Ignore this article and its message.

Michael

Good to see your handlers have informed you not to discuss taboo subjects on a public forum or raise suspicion of this nature… :laughing: