🇳🇵 Nepal | Attempting to summit Cho Oyu

Attempting to Summit Cho Oyu via Nepal Lhasa this summer.

Although I know this is not a mountaineering forum and one is not a great sport. But I wanted to know if anyone has summited this mountain or a Himalayan one before. Any and all first hand experiences would be appreciated even from this forum.

Why you ask- One is not looking to break the body, one just looks upon the mountains to expel oneself of intelligence to gain humility. Not a great climber, previous summits included a couple of 5000”rs. Body build is thin and fit. This is my first time to be in Nepal and Tibet. One is also attaching my Taiwanese partner to me. This would be her first mountain to try in the range.( atleast to base camp)

3 Likes

I’m no expert, but I’ve done a couple of long treks in Nepal and wonder if you really mean summer. I think the monsoon season of June, July and August must be avoided.
I’ve been as close as Gokyo to Cho Oyu, and it’s a beautiful area.
Any 8,000 meter climb is going to be really tough. Good luck whatever you do.
From Lhasa or Nepal?

1 Like

Thank you.

April May attempt . I am piggybacking ( paying to be sacked up) off a summit company hopefully to the summit. ( Please don’t judge me)

A couple of days in Kathmandu then off to Lhasa to base camp.
I feel I have become an older herring in just 34. Judy thinks age is a figment of mind so the reverse must also to be true. One feels one may miss the beauty and tranquility of Himalayan peaks if one postpones such a summit to one’s old age.
Cho Mt is condemned by the alpinists to be fairly easy ,not to me though. And certainly not to my wife. Although my wife is excited to take part, I am concerned about her more.

Cho Oyu
https://maps.google.com?q=Cho%20Oyu&ftid=0x39e9bc97463db317:0x24922ef191c10fcf&hl=en-TW&gl=tw&entry=gps&lucs=47062720&g_st=ic

I don’t mean to judge, but I’m more worried about you trying to summit a 8,200 meter peak, than her trying to get to base camp at 5,160 meters.
Reaching the top of an 8,000 meter peak must be amazing. I would be happy to summit one of the trekking peaks in that area.
FYI- I’m risk averse and enjoy hiking more at lower elevations where people and plants live.

1 Like

Thanks. Am worried in many places. Truthfully , I would be elated to reach camp 3 /4 also. I have no summit fever. It is an investment to enjoy the beautiful earth, of course one could buy a luxury sedan. But one is not interested to et such a delicacy .
It is my first time in Taiwan for long so to ease the wife, and am appalled to observe that so many Taiwanese buy such expensive cars but no to try such treks or hiking. You have been to Nepal, I too long for such circuit treks. Happy to see you too, longing for such goals.

I hope you win a lottery in here, to vehemently pursue summits .

1 Like

Also you could give paragliding a try. If one could please anymore, that’s about the best and cheapest sport one could try. Although there is a higher risk, but if done safely and wisely, you would love it.

1 Like