Netflix is here! and it no longer sucks

I do not have U.S. credit card so no access to that. And I do not have iPhone or its ilk.

Well, the very original stuff came from a book, so Manhunter, Hannibal, Red Dragon, all spawn from there.

Well guys, I will keep on Trekking. Never a big fan of Next Generation, but, it is the closest thing to get a fix. And I didn’t have the chance to see Deep Space nine properly, and funny enough, Babylon Five was available here in Taiwan.

https://youtu.be/-6Zc8Co2H3w

https://youtu.be/_QCZehG9G4g

1 Like

Amazon is VERY limited without a VPN. More so than Netflix. Even with a VPN, Amazon wants you to pay extra for channels. The cost adds up fast and it isn’t worth it.

No need for a US credit card. You can sign up for Amazon Prime Video with a foreign card and access regional content for your area. You’ll need a paid VPN to access channels though.

You can use the Taiwan iTunes / Apple / iMovie store with a Taiwanese credit card. Selection varies from country to country: Taiwan iTunes Store doesn’t have TV shows, but does have movies, and often cheaper rental prices I believe.

But you do need some kind of Apple device to view the movies: I think an Apple TV (their streaming box) connected to a TV is enough.

Amazon Prime’s catalog in Taiwan is very poor - Netflix’s is much better. Not that Netflix’s is good either! But you can sign up for Amazon Prime for I think USD$3 per month for the first six months, and there’s enough there to make it worthwhile for 1-2 months. (And The Expanse Season 4 will come out in December 2019.)

Deep Space Nine is probably the best Star Trek - like Babylon 5, it was very early in the now-dominant long-form storytelling trend - so you’re in for a treat watching it. But those first couple of seasons are a bit slow.

There’s also a big promotion still going on that started with the launch of Apple’s new “TV” app. HBO, EPIX, Showtime, Shudder, UMC, Mubi (international arthouse movies), STARZ, CineMax, Sundance Now all have limited-time free access. You could sign up for HBO and binge all their original content (I think) until you have to sleep or the free trial ends.

They’re adding new channels to TV all the time, too. The newest one is Arrow Video, which has content from Arrow Films. Arrow Films is newish a British company that has purchased distribution rights to a ton of 80s American horror titles, old Japanese horror titles, Italian giallo titles (including Fulci and Argento movies), British movies, and other international movies as well. Arrow Films is a new content provider and has got it going on, imo.

1 Like

Netflix spends to much time producing PC shows imo. There seems to be a heavy push in making shows with minorities, LGBT, and women. None of which I have a problem with if the content, plot, characters are strong. But they are not. Being a woman is not a plot and does not make a character good. Being Asian is not enough for me to want to watch it.

Are you accessing this with a VPN, or just with normal internet access through an Apple TV in Taiwan?

Just normal. It’s under the new TV app that showed up a couple months (?) back.

Thanks - cool. Kind of surprised by that; so many things are crippled overseas. Oh wait, my Apple TV is linked to a Canadian credit card … that could also be an issue.

Could be, mine is linked to a US one. What a shame if that’s it.

1 Like

I remember the British horror movies of my time, really scary stuff.

Will look for the app. Mostly for HBO. Did not see Chernobyl and of course, must binge on Sex and the City.

I am also a bit tired of looking for alternative methods to watch Supernatural. Anyone knows where I can find CW?

Do you need an apple TV or device to use the app?

tldr: I’m pretty sure the new app is exclusive to Apple devices (of course it also shows up with iPads and iPhones)

Apple also has a Movies app and another one called TV Shows. Movies and TV Shows apps have been around as long as the device has existed. The new app brings the two older ones into a single app that has the menu choices Watch Now, Movies, TV Shows, Kids, Library, Search. The channels I described, eg Arrow Video, are accessed under Watch Now.

1 Like

My sister works for Netflix. I asked her thoughts on what they’re doing. I’ll see if she has some interesting insights.

1 Like

@Gain was right . A friend kindly let me use their Netflix account a few days ago for as long as I like . I was going to watch John wick films . Not even one available . Such old films … so disappointed :pensive::cry: I found JW3 on YouTube and sat down to watch , popcorn in hand , only to find that the voices were all out of sync :face_with_monocle::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If you have a VPN, you could try Pluto TV. It’s free and has a lot of content.

There is also archive.org which doesn’t need a VPN. I was surprised at how much can be found there to stream.

Thanks @SuiGeneris but I find that most VPN’s are quite slow . Please bear in mind my one fingered typing and technophobic tendencies :pensive:will try archive

is true that workers can’t have to much contact? like is forbidden to hug or kiss someone to say hello? I heard once in joe rogan I think.

She says she isn’t aware and Netflix execs hugged her before. But she doesn’t work in the corporate office, she handles their casting office in a different location. But she says they can’t hug kids unless the kid initiates a hug with them.

But she says casting is super sensitive about diversity. Unspoken rule to avoid 2 white leads mostly. And they try to change male roles for women sometimes.

1 Like