Netflix is here! and it no longer sucks

Netflix sucks. I have kept it but not sure for how much longer, probably until I catch up on Better Call Saul new season (whenever it’s released).

They have one excellent tv show now, Last Chance U, but zero others (and you have to be a pretty hardcore fan of American football or American culture to like LCU). No movies I’m interested in watching. Their recommendation algorithm is a POS, all it does is make me browse through titles thinking “why am I paying for this crap?”

1 Like

They don’t have enough British or Irish or other English speaking countries content which is immensely annoying to me. Missing regional comedy shows.

I do not want to see twenty different American serial killer programs for example .

I enjoyed Line of Duty but they still havent added the latest series. Too slow.

Still I’m enjoying finishing sons of anarchy from the start to finish seven series .

Mindhunter new series starting in August, well looking forward to that !

Also agree their recommendation algo sucks.

It’s an American based company offering mostly American based programs. What were you expecting?

It’s like going to a French restaurant and complaining they don’t have enough Mexican food on their menu. :thinking:

Netflix is a whole lot better with a VPN. Then you can gain access to any region, unlocking their entire library if content.

2 Likes

This is true. That way you should be able to watch Netflix USA and Netflix UK, or any other region that your VPN can trick Netflix into.

Have you seen the original Manhunter film with William Petersen?

I insist: what Netflix needs is really cool old school stuff.

1 Like

I’m surprised someone with a Bojack Horseman avatar and handle is going to ditch Netflix. Season 6 is around the corner.

Plus, season 2 of Mindhunter is less than a week away. Be still my beating heart…

Don’t mean to cut in, but yes just a couple months ago. I love me some Michael Mann, but Manhunter is dated, badly imo. Heat is holding up much better imo.

1 Like

Netflix is highly regional. I’m on vacation in Australia right now and the shows on list in Oz are very different than the ones on list in Taiwan. Gone are the Korean dramas and Japanese romance animes . In are the wacky Brit comedies and Aussie soaps. They’re American, but they’re very much international in their business model and outlook.

Yeah it should be out before the new season of BCS, so I should be ok.

I tried to watch Mindhunter, and made it through about the first 30 minutes of Ep 1. I don’t even remember why I exited, but iirc it was an overcooked 1970s context (?). Guess I’m going to have to give it another go.

Getting old is hell, you know. No wonder my pa refused to watch new movies with me that took place in the 30s and 40s. He had zero interest in Polanski’s Chinatown, eg. I can now relate.

BCS?

Better Call Saul

2 Likes

AAAABTyl-hPMGyZLQ_BAz-L7WNiax9182bptgMp5X-dD-8wazDXs9tDZB_aztu9tmQMfy17vcrtnmg0IoHBIDB_tJwWZrxH90S92YvnJfZFbsFAjkrCbzFLhs5NPu3Bh

Check it out. Those are short films of 10-15 minutes.
Animated, Futuristic, NSFW, various stories.
Some are mediocre, but some are really good.

2 Likes

I saw it available but haven’t watched. Thanks for the recommendation!

Regional content: like 6 token Spanish series and about the same number of movies.

My heart almost busted when I realized they had Indian content. Ah, now that is some entertainment.

Needs more Taiwanese content though. Oh, BTW, I found the old classic 80s Chow Yun-fat’s comedies, highly recommended, a real blast.

I am finishing up Black Mirror this weekend and canceling until next year.
I watched most of the good stuff already. Need to wait for them to add more content.

Don’t know if you buy movies from Apple, but Apple Movies has been on a tear recently with Indian romance and comedy movies at US$4.99 each. All with (mostly) English subtitles.

Kambakkht Ishq (2009), Love Aaj Kal (2009), Ambikapathy (2015, Tamil), Bharaate (2014, Bengali), The Bright Day (2015) are all available there now. Not a Bollywood fan, so sorry but I have no idea if these are good or bad, they just are.

1 Like

I was not even aware of any film, I will check if out thanks ! Now I was referring to mind hunter so Not sure if same thing :grin:.

Netflix’s selection of stuff is really limited. Amazon Prime is far better.

Though nothing comes close to good ol’ torrent, lol.

You mean you cannot suspend reality because the 1970s vibe in Mind hunter doesn’t match with your recollection ?

Yes, pretty much. It’s distracting (to me).

It’s tricky, though. The David Fincher movie Zodiac was excellent. I didn’t find the 70s vibe at all distracting.

I also find the 80s vibe of Stranger Things distracting. I wasn’t able to finish even the first episode of season 2 because of it.

1 Like