šŸ‡³šŸ‡± Netherlands | Amsterdam Food Tips

The Hema is a department store and they charge a small fee. Other department stores like the Bijenkorf donā€™t but I havenā€™t been there in years. CafĆ©s, restaurants, museums, libraries generally donā€™t charge. In some areas you might also see the public urinals.

If youā€™re going to spend 50 euro or more to go to a club, the donā€™t complain about spending a bit for the bathroom.

Uhmā€¦ I will complain. But my point was that not nobody makes you pay extra if you are a customer. Some places do.

Fine, complain. Iā€™m sure the Forumosa community will be glad to listen to you.

In that situation I will and do and have. Now today on Forumosa I just wanted to call out that this type of thing happens. I do not feel like complaining to all of you :stuck_out_tongue:

They are used to pissing In public in London Street. They even put open urinals around the pub areas now. London and Paris is always full of piss on the streets.

Can we please not discuss urinating in a thread about food tips? Thank you!

1 Like

:rofl:

Speaking as a Dutchie: it is certainly not fried stuff, most people in the Netherlands eat dishes that originate from all over the world. Typicall traditional Dutch cuisine is heavy stuff though, lots of potato & veg with some kind of meat & gravy for example, and only eaten by some; however, we do have a sub cultural thing called a ā€œ snackbarā€ were you can buy deep fried-snack and all kind of fries. Not healthy, and mostly done on the go. If anything, I find Taiwan extremely poor as far as healthy cuisine . Almost every dish is either loaded with sugar, contains fast amounts of meat ( which for me as a flexitarian is hardship) , is restricted in the kind of vegetables used and the quantity of it, and lots and lots is pan fried. And I know ā€œ healthyā€ is subject for discussion on its own, but all this sugary stuffšŸ˜… wow.

1 Like

I see a lot of cheese wheels in Amsterdam and also those wooden shoes.

Yes !, let me take another opportunity to explain , as I have done my whole live, everywhere I go and the topic is raised:the wooden shoesā€¦are NOT something anybody, with the exception of some farmers, have ever or will ever wear. Please peopleā€¦WOODEN shoesā€¦ :upside_down_face: And no, we also do not run around in the clothing of a milkmaid or farmboy from the 18th century anymore :wink: :grimacing:

Ainā€™t taiwanese, so I do agree on the general swetness of the food here and the boringness of veggies. Fruits r plentiful at least.

Back in italy for a few days, man I miss my charcuterie and cheese (and cheap wine)

1 Like

The fruits are amazing here, I agree. Italy- love the wine, the cheese, pasta that taste great with the simplest of ingredients, fresh pizza, fresh icecream. And the coffee!

1 Like

There u go. Less is more. Fresh taste is plentiful with good ingredients. A foreign concept in chinese cookingā€¦

2 Likes

There is in fact an astonishing range of vegetables in Taiwan.

For proper sit-down places serving Chinese style cooking, finding out what they have involves chatting with the staff and ordering oneā€™s preferred choice (often off the menu).

If one is eating in night markets and at noodle shops, however, then yes I could see the limits here, as that stuff is not healthy!

Guy

Try getting vegetables from rechao shops. They really know how to do it.

Not arguing on the variety (still a far cry from Italy though), but how they cook it is veryā€¦ boring, unimpressive. Not their strength at all. My biased opinion though

The boiled veggies with industrial brown sauce and / or pork fat on top . . . maybe with chunks of uncooked garlic . . . yes I fully agree that go-to move is terrible here. No thanks!

When I praised the range of veggies, I am thinking more of the high heat cooking style similar to what @Taiwan_Luthiers had mentioned, especially if the kitchen knows what they are doing with chicken oil and ginger andā€”cruciallyā€”how to lay off the garlic.

Guy

Actually, growing up in Amsterdam, some of my friends and I used to wear wooden shoes. They were just practical. We were always running around construction sites and digging up mud so wooden shoes and boots were pretty much standard wear for us for a number of years until we grew out of rolling around in mud and breaking into construction sites. Theyā€™re great for keeping your feet warm (with woolen socks) and dry :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry I misread for a second and thought you wore wooden socksā€¦