Never been to ZhuiLu Trail? google did it for you

Someone at google took the street cam backpacking…

You can see the entire trail by clicking on the arrows… for some reason arrow keys on the keyboard won’t do it…

Hopefully I’ll get to go there sometime this march

That’s super awesome. So super awesome theTourism Bureau is going to have to work overtime to dampen the enthusiasm it will generate.

I’ve done the trail and it’s that great.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]That’s super awesome. So super awesome theTourism Bureau is going to have to work overtime to dampen the enthusiasm it will generate.

I’ve done the trail and it’s that great.[/quote]

by the way, the person wearing the cam pack is really risking his life. Any one of those protruding rocks could have knocked the cam pack and nudged the hiker off the path…

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Muzha Man”]That’s super awesome. So super awesome theTourism Bureau is going to have to work overtime to dampen the enthusiasm it will generate.

I’ve done the trail and it’s that great.[/quote]

by the way, the person wearing the cam pack is really risking his life. Any one of those protruding rocks could have knocked the cam pack and nudged the hiker off the path…[/quote]

Yep. I almost had that happen on the Batonguan Trail passed the Father & Son Cliffs.

my own photos at Zhuilu… it was a foggy day, i have a tiny camera, and i’m not very good at taking photos :stuck_out_tongue:

Japanese era bottle at one of the Aboriginal tribal village ruins

ruins

Place looks amazing.

Awesome streetview series… but looks like they stopped halfway. must have got late and they turned back.

I think they went at the time when the section of trail between Cimu Bride to Zhuilu cliff was still not opened to public due to typhoon damage. When I went last weekend, that section has many collapsed portions which involved trekking upwards around the collapse to get back to the original trail.

Stuff like this:

Probably why they turned back…

I just did this hike for the first time in February, partly because of this post. It’s simply gorgeous.
Here are some photos; the first one is the same spot as hansioux’s above. The woman in front was our hike leader…70 years old and she put us all to shame!

Wow - great pictures. And, um, I’m not entirely sure if I want to do this hike. Some of that looks a bit precipitous.

That roped section up the hillside has been there for several years now. Takes you over an old landslide zone.
But yes Zhuilu was half-closed recently, i.e. you had to access from Swallows Grotto and then turn around after the cliff section. That was because of trail damage in an area like Steve4n’s 3rd pic.

Steven’s photos are amazing.

precipitousness is part of the allure, but it’s not really that bad, as long as there’s no crazy people trying to pass you at the cliff.

On a related topic, does anyone here know how to apply for the permit to acces this trail?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Taroko Park HQ. Has to be done at least 2 days in advance, and probably more if you’re thinking of hiking it on a weekend or holiday.
It’s possible to apply on-line, but you used to have to enter a Taiwan Id number. That may have improved.

Although their service probably hasn’t. They’re a little slow, but they get there.

Nah. Now precarious, yes.

[quote=“Novaspes”]On a related topic, does anyone here know how to apply for the permit to acces this trail?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Nuit is right. I was told that non-Taiwanese can email their request for a permit, but will still need to provide local contact information in case of an emergency.

Well, as of last month you can do it all online, even if you are a foreign passport holder. You HAVE TO use internet explorer to do it, need a Taiwanese name, ID, birthday, address and phone number for the contact person, and some patience trying to get the right info in the right boxes. The ‘magic’ email no longer works. If you have any issues you can PM me and I can try to help you out. It took a while to figure it out, but I think I have a handle on it now.

Just a tip, you can use the same ‘contact person’ for everyone on the trip. Good luck!

This IE only thing has happened to me several times when using Taiwanese websites. It seems like US sites can be properly accessed using just about any browser. There must be Taiwanese tech people that can produce websites that work on all the major browsers… right?

2nd hiker in two months falling of the cliffs…

I expect the authorities to either close the trail soon or install a barrier along the way.

太魯閣國家公園知名的錐麓古道,2個月來發生2起墜崖意外。4月16日一名黃姓工程師失足墜崖,昨天一名李姓男子又不慎墜谷身亡,2人墜崖位置相差不到400公尺。消防人員表示,由於該處無路徑,救援難度高,當下無法完成吊掛作業,今早將再派遣人員配合空勤總隊,完成吊掛工作。

66歲李姓男子昨天上午與兒子同行,不慎在錐麓古道2.6公里往西500公尺處滑倒墜谷。救難人員上午11點39分接獲訊息後立即整裝出發搶救,縣消防局同時出動空勤直升機及空拍機搜尋,直至下午4時許,在失足者的兒子提供墜落地點附近,尋獲該名墜崖男子陳屍於一山坳處,今天將於中橫公路找尋架設點垂降。

李姓男子在錐麓古道2.6公里往西500公尺處滑倒墜谷,消防人員尋獲時已死亡。 圖/消防局提供
分享
據了解,李男墜落處與2個月前黃姓工程師的失足地點,距離相差不到400公尺,是整段古道中最驚險壯觀的路段之一。太魯閣國家公園管理處表示,古道路寬平均僅90公分,部分路段距離谷底高度更超過700公尺,稍有不慎就會發生墜谷意外,許多遊客為了拍照,不顧身子露在懸崖外,十分危險。

太魯閣國家公園管處提醒,在攀爬時務必穿著具有抓地力的鞋子,並提高警覺注意安全,切勿貪圖美景靠近崖邊。應單手緊握安置在岩壁上的確保繩,即便是替別人拍照也要留意步伐,謹記自己是站在數百公尺高的懸崖邊,務必要以安全走完全程路徑為優先考量。

http://udn.com/news/story/7316/1767378-%E5%A4%AA%E9%AD%AF%E9%96%A3%E9%8C%90%E9%BA%93%E5%8F%A4%E9%81%93-2%E5%80%8B%E6%9C%882%E5%A2%9C%E5%B4%96

I was up there yesterday and passed these two just before it happened. (We were eating lunch at the moment of the fall) Perfect weather day, no wind, no rockfall and this accident makes no sense at all. They were taking some risks with photos, but nothing extreme. I certainly doubt they will change anything, and there is no need. In the last 10 years there have been no deaths to my knowledge and now two flukes in the past 2 months. The first one was in a place that you would have to be very careless/unlucky to fall off and this one makes no sense. I guess at the details are not in yet but it is a little weird. We didn’t even know something had happened until we met the rescue crew coming up the trail an hour or two later. No one else on the trail. With care, that trail is no more dangerous than driving. Hope it doesn’t get ruined.

On a side note it was pretty neat to see the copter flying in that part of the gorge. I wonder if those pilots love it or hate it when they get that call…