New biometric ARCs?

Strange, the search did not bring up meaningful results, so this has probably not been discussed here before: According to this news item, starting July, new ARCs with “biometric features” (fingerprint, face features…) and “other, altogether 30 measures to prevent forgery”, will be issued. Though, not just “issued”, the term used in that article suggests that also “old” ARCs have to be returned to be replaced with new ones.

They also mention “two chips” in the article, so I suppose one of them would be an RFID transponder.

Anyone else knowing more about this? This looks like some corporation sold them the idea of biometric features being “secure” and hip anyway, and of course none of those in charge read the news all that great biometry made so far…

I think that any ARC that expires between July 1 2007 and June 30 2008 can still be used until the expiration date. You’ll then get a new one whenever you renew. It’s only the ones that expire after June 30 2008 that need to be exchanged before the expiry.

I’ll have to check though. I have a 3 year ARC, but it expires in May 2008. Hopefully I won’t have to get a new biometric one to replace my current one, and then get another one again next May.

Well, mine wouldn’t expire - at least not easily… But I suppose they want them all…

Is there no getting away from Big brother? And who would forge an ARC anyway? It’s not like they’re worth anything.

I never carried my ARC in Taiwan. I only carried my Taiwan drivers license. And that was always sufficient I.D.

When do they finally get it, the foreigners are not cause of the “bad” on this island.

surprising news, considering how low tech proper 身分證 are / have been… I was always astounded how an official national identity card could be just a crappy piece of paper with some hand written notes on the back… as always though I’m sure these new ARC rules are not directly aimed at us big noses, but more likely the SE Asian foreign community, mainland wives etc. who are the traditionally preferred targets of the ample TW government xenophobia, the fact that Canadians will fall under the same system is just a bonus I’m sure… :wink:

Yeah, but it’s really fun to see someone’s photo on their Taiwan ID…most of them were taken at graduation. I used to have a blast when I’d get a copy of someone’s Taiwan ID for a visa application of mine and couldn’t even recognize the person on it with him sitting right in front of me.

Ironlady said:

Unfortunately, these new cards will not be as lenient as before.
“According to NIA rules, the photos should be taken within the last six months, sized at 4.5 X 3.5 cm, and covering the face and top edge of both shoulders.”

Rats, I was just too glad to use my “before I came to Taiwan” shot.

[quote=“Icon”]Ironlady said:
“According to NIA rules, the photos should be taken within the last six months, sized at 4.5 X 3.5 cm, and covering the face and top edge of both shoulders.”

Rats, I was just too glad to use my “before I came to Taiwan” shot.[/quote]

I just renewed, and I’m left with no ARC at all for 2 weeks while it is processed. I used the same photo as my last ARC from 3 years ago, but I look the same.

I just got a new one. No chips, but it wouldn’t matter much. If there was an RFID, it would say I’m always home…in the basket on my desk.

From Wikipedia, my other source for disinformation (besides Forumosa):

The only thing biometric about this new card is the photo, so the old one could have been considered biometric as well. The new cards do look like legitimate ID cards, complete with holograms and a second picture under the type face. It also eliminates the need for a re-entry permit in the passport.

Does that mean that you’ll have to get a new card every time you renew it? There’s no way to simply stamp a new expiration date on the card then, is there? If so, it sounds like more trouble every time you have to renew.

I will let you know in 2 years.

If these new ARCs are to be issued when the old one expires I am left wondering how that affects those of us with a permanent ARC that does not have an expiry date on it? I have not recieved any notice to change my APRC yet…

The implementation plan is that for new ARCs or renewals issued between July 1, 2007 and June 30, 2008 the smart-card ID cards will be issued at the normal time. Between January 1, 2008 and June 30, 2008 they will convert any of the old paper ARCs which expire July 1, 2008 or later to the smart card version. Presumably at that time they could upgrade the APRCs too.

[quote=“dumas”][quote=“Icon”]Ironlady said:

Rats, I was just too glad to use my “before I came to Taiwan” shot.[/quote]

I just renewed, and I’m left with no ARC at all for 2 weeks while it is processed. I used the same photo as my last ARC from 3 years ago, but I look the same.[/quote]

Its common to photoshop photos before bringing them for the ID processing here. And remove those freckels and marks. My sister in law had her head stretched a little bit on the photo cause her faced looked so “round”. Totally acceptable here.

Does that mean that you’ll have to get a new card every time you renew it? There’s no way to simply stamp a new expiration date on the card then, is there? If so, it sounds like more trouble every time you have to renew.[/quote]

That’s where the ‘IC’ comes in … it’s probably sandwiched between two layers, just put in a new expiry date …

Could someone who already got a new card perhaps shed some light on this?

According to the news article there should be two chips, so my guess is that one is an RFID chip, while the other is a “classic” smartcard controller, which needs contact pads on the card surface, just like an ATM card. Did anyone see those contact pads?

And did anyone applying for such a card get fingerprinted? Because… This whole thing smells a bit fishy… (Though fortunately so…) If this new ARC is supposed to store biometric features, then at least the photo must fulfill more requirements than being “recently taken”. (And even then automatic face recognition will not necessarily work…)

And how much does the application cost now? It used to be NT$1000/year, but that was for a piece of paper. These cards (and their infrastructure) should cost a bit more, and since I doubt that the ROC government will generously and smilingly pay for all that, one year on this island should become a little bit more expensive…

Or - all this is just show. We get a plastic card that may indeed contain two ICs, but they just hold the same information that is/was printed on the card, without any biometry, so only our name and address are easier to read for the immigration computers in Taoyuan…

So - enlightenment, anyone?

Does that mean that you’ll have to get a new card every time you renew it? There’s no way to simply stamp a new expiration date on the card then, is there? If so, it sounds like more trouble every time you have to renew.[/quote]

That’s where the ‘IC’ comes in … it’s probably sandwiched between two layers, just put in a new expiry date …[/quote]

Just got my IC card in the mail. If they can just update the chip (though I’m doubtful there’s really one inside) why do they actually print out the expiry date on the card itself?

I have a sneaky feeling that means next year (and every renewal thereafter) will result in a whole new card.

Progress, huh?