New Boeing 797

[quote]New Boeing 797

Boeing to take on Airbus with (1000 seat) giant 797 Blended Wing plane Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years.

The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Centre.

The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747’s 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide.
The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers.

Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works
research facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come.

There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it an
estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus’s $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft, It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile

range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach .88 or 654 mph (±1046km/h) cruising speed another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380’s 570 mph (912 km/h) The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy.[/quote]

I thought hat Boeing said there was no market for big capacity airplanes in the future, and waiting for 1,000 pax to board and unboard :ponder: :doh: Boeing is changing there mind radically last couple of year, Yes stretch 747 … no stretch 747 … yes stretch 747 … they seem starting to be in a state of panic … :wink:

If the real plane (if there really will be one) is like the picture, it seems like they’re stacking passengers on three levels to avoid giving people airsickness. Original proposals for a flying wing type passenger plane had people sitting as far out as the middle of the wings, which would put them so far away from the centerline that any sort of maneuvering would make them nauseous.

It’s a fake.

Nice try though.

As it is now, economy is inhumane and over priced, business class only slightly approaches decency. They need to improve those Greyhound buses of the sky. Give me some room to stretch, workout or something on that 18 hour + direct flight from Taipei to New York! I would just settle for a padded sound proof closet for my 2 year old or a even better a padded nursery where all the kids can play or scream together.

They have been thinking and shown the concept quite a while ago … this is the model they made, rendered by an artist in a fake skyline … but point is that they can’t make up their mind

hahahahaha. Looks like a 747 that got trodden on.

The blended wing design is nothing new but if it is suitable as a passenger aircraft remains to be seen. Haven’t heard any confirmation from Boeing themselves that they want to build a plane like that (note that there is no source mentioned nor an official quote by Boeing in the article).

The airlines keep telling us economy passengers don’t pay and they only take them out of the goodness of their hearts. Well then build all-business-class planes! China is in fact leading the way in this as travel by plane in or into and out of mainland China is so hideous in economy that the plane sells out from the front backwards.

Looks fake too me also, and as regualr visitor of airliners.net/ , i should have spotted it.
Imagine you sit on left or right side on such a “wing”, which gravity your body has to stands when the plane takes a sharp turn. No way, must be fake…

They change their mind according to the competition, not according to customers. Boeing and microsoft are notorious for trying to kill the competition at all costs in order to try to dominate the market, so it wouln’t surprise me if they did decide to go ahead and develop something like this in the future.

However, as people have stated before, you can only stretch aircraft capacity across a longitudnal axis, and not across it’s latitude, so whatever the outcome, the above pictured won’t be it.

The story is as fake as the LV handbag being sold at the local nightmarket.

ya think? Geez you guys, it’s friday.

Check out the buildings in the background. So many interconnecting walkways huh?

[quote=“Truant”]ya think? Geez you guys, it’s Friday.

Check out the buildings in the background. So many interconnecting walkways huh?[/quote]
Well, that the pic is fake was obvious but it could have been an artist’s impression of the future (including the buildings). :slight_smile:

Funny, I didn’t know the B2 was being commercialized.

I highly doubt those engines would be able to propel the plane very well with that positioning. They’re practially nestled up against the back of the fuselage. And the mountings look extremely fragile. The engines, if capable of producing as much as the article claims, would likely tear themselves right off the plane before lifting it off the ground.

Still, if some company did manage to make a feasible flying wing commercial plane, that would be enough to get me back into flying in a hearbeat.

[quote=“rob_the_canuck”]Funny, I didn’t know the B2 was being commercialized.

I highly doubt those engines would be able to propel the plane very well with that positioning. They’re practially nestled up against the back of the fuselage. And the mountings look extremely fragile. The engines, if capable of producing as much as the article claims, would likely tear themselves right off the plane before lifting it off the ground.

Still, if some company did manage to make a feasible flying wing commercial plane, that would be enough to get me back into flying in a hearbeat.[/quote]

This is a scale concept model they have build, I’ve seen it on TV a few times … but then it might have been a bit different

twitt.org/bldwing.htm#one

raphael.mit.edu/Markish2002-5612.pdf

physorg.com/news65971975.html

and this is Airbus’ blended wing :laughing:

flug-revue.rotor.com/frheft/ … R0101e.htm

Thanks for those links BP. Some of those designs were pretty wacky. Some, however, look like they could be pretty feasible. One advantage of the flying wing design is it produces much more lift and gets better range due to the fact that entire craft is one giant wing. If memory serves, they’re also much more strong in terms of structure. I’d love to have the chance to fly one of those big boys!