New Costco Cathay credit card

Regarding the new Cathay Costco credit card:

• Have not applied yet and won’t apply in the future (don’t need it, don’t want it, will use Amex card, etc.)
  • Have not applied yet but would like to (haven’t gotten to it yet)
  • Have not applied yet since have been told that do not qualify salary wise
  • Have applied but have not received a response yet
  • Have applied and received a negative response from Cathay bank -did not apply again
  • Have applied and received the Cathay card
  • Applied, was rejected and got it after fighting back

0 voters

Hi guys. Please answer the poll if applicable, much grateful for your cooperation. We’d like to have an overall idea of the situation.

Poll only applicable if you shop at Costco regularly and have Costco membership card.

May I point out you can vote anonymously? I mean, it doesn’t say who voted for what.

It is a shared impression among some of us that the rules have in fact been relaxed a little to get this card. This is great news for us furriners.

It was also my initial impression that the locals are not exactly rushing to change their cards. So that can be used to our advantage.

Don’t understand option one. You said “Have not applied yet and won’t apply in the future (don’t need it, don’t want it, will use Amex card, etc.)”.
This survey is geared to Costco Shoppers. The only, I thought, the only way to use a credit card at Coscto is to use the one backed by them. If you don’t, isn’t cash the only option?

I

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Don’t understand option one. You said “Have not applied yet and won’t apply in the future (don’t need it, don’t want it, will use Amex card, etc.)”.
This survey is geared to Costco Shoppers. The only, I thought, the only way to use a credit card at Coscto is to use the one backed by them. If you don’t, isn’t cash the only option?

I[/quote]

I think she means that some people don’t want a credit card as they are happy paying cash, or have an Amex card and will use that instead of the new Cathay card.

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Don’t understand option one. You said “Have not applied yet and won’t apply in the future (don’t need it, don’t want it, will use Amex card, etc.)”.

I[/quote]

I think she means that some people don’t want a credit card as they are happy paying cash, or have an Amex card and will use that instead of the new Cathay card.[/quote]
So… then is AMEX a secondary option? I think the only option is Cash.

Ive got two cards. The “We are Family” (sorry, I love that marketing gimmick) Costco Card and their AMEX card, The only use I found for the AMEX card here in Taiwan is to use it as my internet shopping card. I really can find no place here in Taiwan that takes it.

I’ve got the new card, and now I have to deal with two companies and billings. Them switching cards, and them switching to Pespi over coke. Two big mistakes. I want my Nestea Iced Tea.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Don’t understand option one. You said “Have not applied yet and won’t apply in the future (don’t need it, don’t want it, will use Amex card, etc.)”.

I[/quote]

I think she means that some people don’t want a credit card as they are happy paying cash, or have an Amex card and will use that instead of the new Cathay card.[/quote]
So… then is AMEX a secondary option? I think the only option is Cash.

Ive got two cards. The “We are Family” (sorry, I love that marketing gimmick) Costco Card and their AMEX card, The only use I found for the AMEX card here in Taiwan is to use it as my internet shopping card. I really can find no place here in Taiwan that takes it.

I’ve got the new card, and now I have to deal with two companies and billings. Them switching cards, and them switching to Pespi over coke. Two big mistakes. I want my Nestea Iced Tea.[/quote]

Yup, you can use an Amex as well as Costco international has a deal with amex to accept their cards.
They don’t advertise this in store.

I have a real amex from taiwan but as you noted, you can’t actually use it anywhere. I use it to fill my tank once a month to keep it active. I like their service but it seems no one wants to take it. Chinatrust has already swapped out my Costco one to the new super life card. I like Chinatrust for the cheap movie tickets at my local theater. Citibank is good for Vieshow but I find vieshows tickets to be quite overpriced, even for by one get one.

They made me replace my old credit card with two Chinatrust credit cards. One an AMEX to use in Costco and the other a normal VISA to use elsewhere. My wife got the same and someone managed to have her credit card bill combined with mine and sent to me. I’m feeling a bit had at the moment :laughing:

[quote=“dan2006”]
Yup, you can use an Amex as well as Costco international has a deal with amex to accept their cards.

I have a real amex from taiwan but as you noted, you can’t actually use it anywhere. I use it to fill my tank once a month to keep it active. I like their service but it seems no one wants to take it. Chinatrust has already swapped out my Costco one to the new super life card. I like Chinatrust for the cheap movie tickets at my local theater. Citibank is good for Vieshow but I find vieshows tickets to be quite overpriced, even for by one get one.[/quote]

OK… slowly trying to absorb this. 1. I can use my China Trust AMEX Card at Costco and I could have used it all along. 2. Guests from overseas can use whatever credit card thier local Costco currently backs or any AMEX Card.

OK… I must change my survey. Apperently the card that I got in the mail was not the new Coscto Card from Cathy. It was a new China Trust Super LifeVISA Card. I was not expecting any other cards so I just assumed it was the new Costco card.

I applied though our insurance agent and apparently she messed something up. The application went into the deep dark void. Reapplied again today at Costco.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“dan2006”]

I have a real amex from taiwan but as you noted, you can’t actually use it anywhere. I use it to fill my tank once a month to keep it active. I like their service but it seems no one wants to take it. Chinatrust has already swapped out my Costco one to the new super life card. I like Chinatrust for the cheap movie tickets at my local theater. Citibank is good for Vieshow but I find vieshows tickets to be quite overpriced, even for by one get one.[/quote]

OK… slowly trying to absorb this. 1. I can use my China Trust AMEX Card at Costco and I could have used it all along. 2. Guests from overseas can use whatever credit card their local Costco currently backs or any AMEX Card.

OK… I must change my survey. Apperently the card that I got in the mail was not the new Coscto Card from Cathy. It was a new China Trust Super LifeVISA Card. I was not expecting any other cards so I just assumed it was the new Costco card.

I applied though our insurance agent and apparently she messed something up. The application went into the deep dark void. Reapplied again today at Costco.[/quote]

Yes you can use the Chinatrust amex or any international amex at any Costco worldwide
However for example Korea Costco accepts a Samsung visa card but you can’t use it in Taiwan Costco. Only the amex is truly international for Costco use.

The Superlife one can not be used at Costco but the Chinatrust amex can.

Did the xiaojie at Costco give you a hard time applying?

They gave me a hard time, waving a 20k bill and 2 full carts under their noses -joint purchase with pals from work, but still under one card, MY card! They see whitie and go into Noooo! mode. sigh

I tried using my Chinatrust Costco card in Canada and they said Nope. Only Amex. Amex gives you good movie deals in Taiwan, but yeah, sometimes it is hard to find a place. Yet, many ages ago, they were the friendliest to us furriners. I keep on using out of gratitude for that fact alone. And the movie tickets.

Get Chinatrust Amex. I think all have like 5 Chinatrust co-cards. I like the Taipei 101 one, makes people abroad go Ooohh, that’s pretty… which is a different reaction from my Mega Bank Atom -Astro Boy- credit card. I know, I know…

Anyways, again, feel free to fill the options, remember itis completely anonymous, and just to know if we reach a critical mass of rejects due to foreigness.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“dan2006”]

OK… slowly trying to absorb this. 1. I can use my China Trust AMEX Card at Costco and I could have used it all along. 2. Guests from overseas can use whatever credit card their local Costco currently backs or any AMEX Card.

I applied though our insurance agent and apparently she messed something up. The application went into the deep dark void. Reapplied again today at Costco.[/quote]

People from abroad who want to purchase stuff in Costco would need Cistco card and Amex credit card or cash. Local cash, taibi. I do not think they can use their local Costco cobrand, unless it is Amex too.

That is how Chinatrust is keeping its foot in the Costco game. They hope people will just keep on using Chinatrust by default, and made a deal to issue a card that is actually an Amex card, but backed by Chinatrust bank. It is not same card, different clothes, but a whole new deal. You can use it in Costco because it reads kike Amex but not because it is the official new Costco card.

OTOH, we have the official card by Cathay, which is plain ol VISA -not Mastercard or Jwhatever, Dinners Ckub if it still exists, etc.

I see there is one option missing from your poll.
“Expressed interest in a card but was outright refused because of having the wrong skin color and too big a nose.”
To be fair, I didn’t really want a card anyway, but wasn’t even asked about salary or credit history. Just told no by the folks aggravating all customers as they enter and exit Costco.

[quote=“navillus”]I see there is one option missing from your poll.
“Expressed interest in a card but was outright refused because of having the wrong skin color and too big a nose.”
To be fair, I didn’t really want a card anyway, but wasn’t even asked about salary or credit history. Just told no by the folks aggravating all customers as they enter and exit Costco.[/quote]

Which of the two Kaohsiung locations denied you?

The xiaogang location women had no problem if i wanted to apply. I was even approached by one.

Strange

[quote=“navillus”]I see there is one option missing from your poll.
To be fair, I didn’t really want a card anyway, but wasn’t even asked about salary or credit history. Just told no by the folks aggravating all customers as they enter and exit Costco.[/quote]

How do I edit the poll?

Have patience with the sales agents. They do not know any better. I mean, logically, you are a foreigner, do not qualify, right? That is what they have been told, that is what they know. They do not know you personally, they do not know that atoga in flip flops and shorts is a CEO or an ambassador who earns six figure salary. They just see white face and freak. Be kind.

That said, if you have the time, please do complain. One call, one written opinion in one of their forms. That’ll learn them. Slowly, one at a time.

That is why we ask people to apply for cards, maybe you won’t use them, maybe you won’t need them, it is a right. Our contribution to future generations and the further economic development of the ROC. :soapbox:

They were not too keen with me either, in spite of me waving the Chinatrust card in their noses. Logic would say if I had one I would have the other. Logic, smogic!

You can always apply directly at the bank. :wink:

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“navillus”]I see there is one option missing from your poll.

Which of the two Kaohsiung locations denied you?

The xiaogang location women had no problem if i wanted to apply. I was even approached by one.

Strange[/quote]

It was the one on Dashun.

I was leaving with my wife and they pounced on her. She told them she wasn’t interested, and then I said I’d be interested in applying. 不行 不行!(No Way!) Maybe they just didn’t know any better.

I think in future trips to Costco, if I have a little time to kill, I’ll just hand them my debit card and stand around looking confused as to why they won’t accept it.

So the picture I am getting is people are actually spooked out of applying, even though they may qualify, by the service agents who go berserk when they see atoga wanting credit card. You don’t apply because they make you feel unwelcome.

So I assume most of you pay cash? Don’t go to Costco that often? Do not purchase enough to need to fight to apply for a credit card?

I go about twice a month and usually spend a minimum of 5000NT a visit, not including any major purchases, just food and booze.

I’m not terribly upset about not having a card, but a little by the way I was refused. There is an ATM at the entrance so it’s not that big a deal. I’d probably end up spending more if I had a card because I’d know I wouldn’t have to run back to the ATM. So I suppose they are doing me a favor.

But you would say it does prevent you from buying one of the large items, say, TV or sofa or freezer?

[quote=“navillus”]

I think in future trips to Costco, if I have a little time to kill, I’ll just hand them my debit card and stand around looking confused as to why they won’t accept it.[/quote]

If you want to have fun, after Jan 1 hand them your old card if you have one or a debit card if not and when the cashier says you cant use it, tell them you want to see a Costco manager.
Then tell him that they won’t allow you to apply. A card will be in your hands shortly I would guess.

Anyway, all I have to say is if you want one, just go into the bank, they are aware of the procedures.

That is another question: has anyone actually handed in their application to Cathay and been told no -for salary or ARC reasons or whatever? Or is it that you cannot or have been prevented/discouraged from even presenting the application because of the salespeople’s attitude?

And yes, as I said before, it is not like Taiwanese people are making a beeline nor that there are not other options…