🆔 New format for ARC/APRC number is not accepted--testing and reporting thread

Just say you’re a reincarnation of Madame Chiang, and then lay down the law on those mealy-mouthed bureaucrats. :grin:

2 Likes

They probably should unfix it.

Apple Daily is on the story.

9 Likes

Thanks, that was super helpful. I was able to fix the Cathay Bank login problem using your instructions. I’ll provide more details for others to follow :

Steps for those only using Cathay Costco Credit cards :

1. Go to this link : https://www.cathaybk.com.tw/MyBank/Outer/CPIN_Apply_Reset

1. Enter your ‘new’ ARC ID number, your cellphone and CAPTCHA, then submit.
  2. You will get an SMS code. Enter it on the next page and you will be asked to enter a new ‘User Code’ and ‘Password’. (I just used the old ones again)
  3. After the “confirmation” notification, you can sign in with your ‘new’ ARC ID number + User Code + Password.

If you are like me then only your ID number is now changed and all else remains the same.

I was finally able to login to check the latest amount of bill I owed. And I transferred the money from my CTBC bank (using their app) to my Cathay account, as I always do. Looks like the Cathay problem has been resolved without needing to go to the bank.

5 Likes

“ The Immigration Department also claimed that after replacing the new type of residence permit, it only needs to update the information at the post office and update the information of the natural person’s certificate. Any bank-side information and health insurance card do not need to be updated.”

I want to really really give them the benefit of doubt; but I hesitate. I think someone thought about doing this automatically, but completely screwed up the actual transmission of data to relevant partners.

The worst part is not coming out with it publicly and saying that hey we messed up. This is what we’re gonna do …

Btw: why do they assume that everyone has a bank account with the post office? Wonder why they can’t write it clearly “goto the post office if you have a bank account there.”

“ If the public has any doubts about the new system, they can report it through the director’s mailbox and the special line (0800-024-111 and 1996). The government will provide services with all its strength.”

5 Likes

Did you ever hear that in Taiwan? Losing face?

4 Likes

That’s an outright lie if that is what they said .

4 Likes

Is there a link to this offical statement

The highways police have updated their reporting website, it now contains the same workaround as (New)Taipei city, uploading a scan of ARC. Both new and original ARC numbers appear to be accepted. The have not, however, updated the character limit for the “name” field so names in English are not possible, pretty much need a Chinese name on your ARC to fully meet their reporting rules of including full real name.

1 Like

Yes. Click on that news article and translate

So are you expected to scan it every time ? Ridiculous.

1 Like

Or upload a saved photo, but yes it’s ridiculous. No reason why they can’t just take a number.

3 Likes

It’s connected to a change made several years ago, people were using fake ID numbers to upload reports, fake reports in some cases. The police system was modified to cross check ID numbers with names and addresses in the Hukou system as an attempt to reduce fraud. The vast majority of foreigners have no Hukou and hence were excluded from using most police reporting systems. After many complaints a work around was put in place in some police systems to use uploading of ID to verify identity. The highway police have finally implemented this, several years after (new) Taipei city. It’s a pain but better than nothing.

5 Likes

I requested to change my Chinese name recently, which meant re-issuing my Gold Card with the new number. I noticed that it starts with an “A”, which makes me guess that since the issuer (Gold Card Office) is in Taipei, we are all by default classified as Taipei “residents”. Missing my old “E”, though :cry:

Curiosity: did those who are not Gold Card holders get a new “A” number as well or was the initial letter still bound to the NIA office where you applied?

You might want to look into that. Changing your ID number in that way might make it appear your residence is not consecutive, which could cause issues when applying for permanent residence. There have been a small number of cases where mistakes were made by NIA here in the past…

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will drop the Gold Card Office an e-mail immediately.

Ministry of Labor told me I do not need to update my Work Permit as long as my passport number remains the same.

Others said you need:
https://www.translatingtaiwan.com/2021/02/04/afterthechange/

They might have changed it after complaints?

I just got APRC and was applying for the first time with new ID format.

No clue about that but I just changed to TARC so got a new UI number and was told I didn’t need to reapply for a new work permit as long as my passport number remained the same.

Just had a look at mine. There is passport number and ID number on it.
I guess you only need to update after 10 years when the old ID number becomes invalid. (transition period)
Basically the same they are saying at NHI, when you want to update NHI card.