🆔 New format for ARC/APRC number is not accepted--testing and reporting thread

This is the secret sly form of easily identifying foreigners as more and more asian foreigners come to Taiwan and blend in. If every foreigner is carrying a 1.3 metre long card, then they’ll be easier to identify. The telcos and banks were lobbying for this and thought they wouldn’t get past the Marco.

Looks like I’ll be calling the MP!

6 Likes

2 Likes

A900000016 is actually valid!

2 Likes

@Marco OMFG :exploding_head:
I hope this search is not public? Would suck if it can be exploited and all ID numbers get leaked.

1 Like

Well, there is already this:

so I assume it will be.

2 Likes

Tom (@fifieldt) and Ben collaborated already a bit.

Transparency Report

See how online service providers compare.

Service Category Updated Score Details
Taiwan Railways Transportation 12/29/2020 C Separate UI for citizen/non-citizen ID handling; Partial service restriction for non-citizens
Taiwan HSR Transportation 12/29/2020 C Separate UI for citizen/non-citizen ID handling; Partial service restriction for non-citizens
PCHome MyName Internet 12/09/2020 F Online service fully restricted to citizens; Resident ID numbers not accepted; After contacting support, residents are asked to fax photocopies of ID.
104.com.tw Registration Internet 12/09/2020 F * Resident ID numbers not accepted
New Taipei City Police Traffic Offense Report Government 12/09/2020 F Resident ID numbers not accepted; Residents are asked to provide a scan of their ID.
Highway Police Traffic Offense Report Government 12/09/2020 F Separate UI for citizen/non-citizen ID handling; Resident ID numbers not accepted; Residents have made repeated complaints, with no change.
Taipei City Police Traffic Offense Report Government 12/09/2020 D Old-format resident ID numbers accepted; New-format resident ID numbers not accepted.
6 Likes

For those wondering. This is what the new card looks like. Main difference being the old ID number on the back. They still haven’t fixed the error on the front.

3 Likes

Here’s the short version of the program in slide format.

Summary

1 Like

I’d kill for a contract to write their English and make it look beautiful.

3 Likes

What’s the error on the front? The missing space before the opening bracket?

1 Like

Yes, it bugs me a lot. I can’t be the only one.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it before too. Maybe it’s “house style”.

Also, check out the randomly italicized “Y” in “Y/M/D”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: wait, is that bold and in a different typeface as well? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Hadn’t noticed that one before.

In that case, you’re welcome. :grin:

1 Like

And the fact that it shows an issue date predating the start date for the new scheme!

I have been using GoShare for some time now with my old APRC ID number. It wasn’t completely seamless tho, I had to contact support to say this was an APRC instead of a Taiwanese ID and they approved it in like 5 mins.

Same.

Would be interesting to know if the process can be completed successfully with the new ARC ID format.

EDIT: moved to other thread

This situation is spectacularly bad:

The reason for changing the format was because computer systems were not programmed to handle the ARC ID format. Rather than demand everyone adapt their validation algorithms to understand both ARC and citizen formats, the NIA decided to reissue everyone’s ID numbers in similar format as Taiwanese citizens.

However, since ARC holders get a different letter, it’s still not handled by existing software validation, and clearly they never bothered to check their own standard. the net result is everyone has to update their software anyway, making the entire exercise pointless.

10 Likes