New Forum Admin... New Rules

Folks

I am very happy to announce that Tempo Gain is the new Forum Admin at Forumosa.com - he modestly declined to take on the titles Generallisimod, Mod Almighty, Grand Panjadra-Mod, Lord of Posts, or Mod Pantokrator.

Tempo Gain is the ideal admin. Careful, thoughtful, and balanced, he is as experienced a moderator as any on the site, and is actively interested in moving Forumosa forward as a community. Tempo Gain uses an approach to moderating that I genuinely admire – respectful of the decisions of fellow moderators, he has worked quietly to keep things in order.

Anything in the forums that concerns content, policy, moderating, becoming a moderator, the rules, and changes to the rules are his call. As the new Forumosa Admin, Tempo Gain is the Final Say about policy in the forums.

To Tempo Gain, many thanks! :bow:

New Suspension Policy and other highlights

The new policies are posted at policy.forumosa.com - you can login to this blog with your Forumosa ID and post comments at each rule’s respective page.

New Suspension Policy. Perhaps the biggest change is the empowerment of moderators. All moderators have the power to suspend a Forumosan as they see fit. Suspensions are indefinite by default. The end of suspensions whose lengths are not specified by the moderator will be decided by a panel of moderators.

Moderators Rules. Within their own forums, moderators are the ultimate authorities. They may have special rules just for their forums. They may exempt their forums from the general forum rules. Any special rules or exemptions will be indicated in the forums. We recognize that the character of each forum may differ from others, and we believe that the moderators of that forum are in the best position to decide what works the best.

Supermods. In forums that do not have an assigned moderator, there is a crew of moderators who have forum-wide moderating capabilities. We call them, “Supermods”. The vast majority of their work is to “clean up” forums - typically moving topics that should have been posted in other forums (tip: if you don’t see your post in the forum you thought you wrote it in, click the OWN link at the top - it could have been moved to a more appropriate forum, including the Temporary Forum :wink:) or splitting and merging topics into other forums.

As it has since 1998, Forumosa.com continues to grow and change – to evolve. Over the past 6 years, the traffic that visits Forumosa has doubled! What you post and how you post define this website. Thank you for all your attention and support :notworthy: I hope you will continue to help us - and Tempo Gain, in particular - build Forumosa into a valuable resource about Taiwan.

Keep well
gus.

Great stuff. Totally agree that TG is a great choice.

I know Tempo Gain will do a great job. It’s great that he is willing to take this on.

Goose Egg, I’m happy you’ve found somebody to help out. I hope you get to enjoy spending time with your young child.

I’ve been a Tempo Gain fan from Day 1. Congrats! :bravo:

Question: does admin@forumosa.com go to TG now?

I can’t think of a better choice for admin. :thumbsup:

Well, I thought that ‘gnome pit’ fellow might have been in with a shout :whistle:.

Congrats, Tempo, on such a heady promotion.

Good job, Tempo! :thumbsup:

Hat’s off to TG for his latest achievement! I think it is a wise move, and well reasoned.
:thumbsup:

[quote="Goose Egg"]
[b]New Suspension Policy.[/b] Perhaps the biggest change is the empowerment of moderators. All moderators have the power to suspend a Forumosan [url=http://policy.forumosa.com/spirit-of-the-rules]as they see fit[/url]. [url=http://policy.forumosa.com/suspensions/]Suspensions are indefinite by default[/url]. The end of suspensions whose lengths are not specified by the moderator will be decided by a panel of moderators.
[/quote]
Is this the biggest change? I had thought this was still in effect from prior. Was this policy withheld for a few of the last months?
I only ask in that my one and only suspension thus far (for all of something like 29 hours) was the direct result of this singular mod power. I have only this to say:
If mods are going to exercise this power, one would dearly hope they would advise by email, in a well lettered manner, explaining their position,  to the suspended poster. The great & actual details of their suspension.

As for the ubermods, roving style: I like it. One needs firm and resolute rovers to patrol the perimetre.
Nicely done!

Now, if you will excuse me, I must get back to making more work for the mods.
Think Buzz Lightyear:
Falling, with Style!
 :beatnik:

TG, eh?

You could do worse. :laughing: :thumbsup:

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Thanks Goose Egg, and all, particularly Maoman–it means a lot coming from you; as we all know this board wouldn’t be what it is today without you, nor would I likely have ever become a moderator here.

A little bit about myself, I’ve been here going on 23 years now, give or take a couple. At this point I doubt I’ll ever leave this island fully, even if I do physically one day :slight_smile: It’s my hope I can contribute to keeping this board the stellar information resource it has long been here, a place for interesting conversation and to get to know new people, a place to vent steam from time to time and solve problems, as well as the myriad other functions it serves.

Our team of moderators are a huge part of making all that happen, and the biggest reason I decided to take on this responsibility was to help ensure they have a positive and trouble-free environment for doing what they do. As has been true for the last year, and as is mentioned in the updated site policies, our mods have “paramount authority” in their own forums, and that’s not going to change. We will continue trying to improve the site and our policies, and we welcome your suggestions either in the Feedback forum, on the policy site, or through post reports or PMs.

I can be contacted by PM or at admin@forumosa.com if you need to talk about a site issue.

Yep, Tempo Gain (John) is a friend of mine, and many others in real life. He’s smart, fair, and very grounded. A very good choice indeed.

Great choice, and I’d also like to thank Tempo Gain for making me a Mod in the IP forum. Whodah thunk it? Me, a Mod. I obviously have the skill set and the even-handedness to do the job with great aplomb. The fact that I can dole out suspensions makes it all the more satisfying.

:laughing: :bravo: This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while!!

Deuce Dropper, TheGingerMan and Sandman are the true moderators of this site. Under-appreciated at best, maligned at worst, they keep the fragile fabric of this precarious garment stitched up to its strength, whilst maintaining a firm, defined perimeter. :thumbsup:

Deuce Dropper, TheGingerMan and Sandman are the true moderators of this site. Under-appreciated at best, maligned at worst, they keep the fragile fabric of this precarious garment stitched up to its strength, whilst maintaining a firm, defined perimeter. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Jimi, it is YOU who is the fine golden thread woven deep into the fabric of this forum keeping it not just from fraying, but from dying of dullness.

:laughing:

And back in MY day that poster was Blueface666, a guy ain’t NOBODY (maybe Doc McCoy is an exception) come close to quality-post-wise since. I think many of us old timers are immensely amused by you youngins’ and your squeals of “Me, me, it is I who is the white knight in these here parts!”

Y’all are still sweet in your f.com virginity, though. :thumbs up:

Thank you flike. You are an officer and a gentleman.

The only thing I was wondering is, when are we having the Tempo Gain welcome party?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Thank you flike. You are an officer and a gentleman.

The only thing I was wondering is, when are we having the Tempo Gain welcome party?[/quote]

Actually, according to tradition, he should treat all current and past mods to beers. That is, if he really is up to the task of being our leader. :laughing:

Congrats TG! A very good choice, Gus.