New Greetings function

I noticed that upon first opening the Forumosa site, I now see greetings from the likes of Maoman, RichardM, Gustav and Mordeth, and a link to add my own greeting. I clicked the link, but was merely asked for my password, and given no opportunity to add my own greeting. Am I missing something? :idunno:

On that note, I’ve got to say I don’t see the point. It’s just yet another piece of crap to load up before I get the forum index completed. Yes, I know the load is minimal, but still.

Yes.

First, are you logged in? Clicking that link takes you to your profile - so you would be presented with a log-in screen (which asks for your password)

If you are logged in, but you don’t see any tabs at the top, then you might not have a compatible browser (or you might need to make an adjustment to your browser regarding javascript).

Assuming you are using a standard uptodate browser: go to the Avatar tab. There are 3 sections here - avatar, profile photo, and profile message

I don’t think you have to say that - instead, look a bit harder :laughing:

But thanks for asking!

We’re phasing out the Forumosans For Hire forum, and want to beef up the member profiles (aka Forumosans.com). Some Taiwan-based websites allow their members to publicly present themselves (Tealit has over 2,000, ORIENTED plans to link to member blogs, etc.).

We already have a system that Forumosans are familiar with - the memberlist and the profiles. We’re still developing ways to present the information here so that Forumosan regulars can easily tell others about themselves and tell us useful things so we can understand them (I mean, you) better

For example, say someone says, “Forumosa is too slow” - and leaves it at that. Well, that doesn’t really tell me anything if Forumosa’s speed is fine for me and has been for a long time. There are many things on YOUR end that could be affecting the speed (like are you concurrently downloading episodes of Enterprise again when Forumosa slows down? :wink:) By having some basic member information available, someday, we can do a quick check whenever someone complains about speed problems that we don’t experience – aha! the two people who complained about speed this time are Opera users… (orsomethinglikethat)

Development on Forumosans.com is slow and subject to my work schedule, so there’s still plenty of time to receive ideas and suggestions that will help us build this into something useful. That said, this feature AIN’T for everyone - so, Tetsuo, please do not feel obligated to scrawl your words of wisdom on the front of our website. As you already said, there’s enough crap on there as it is :unamused:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I was already logged in. I see tabs at the top, including one that says avatar, but none that say or contain anything akin to “greeting message”.

The avatar tab leads to, among other things,
“Profile Message:
Something you would like other Forumosans to know about you”

But it is entirely unclear from this wording where the message would be displayed; under my avatar in each post? In my Profile if anyone opens it? The wording implies the latter. It certainly doesn’t sound like a public greeting. If this is the public greeting input line, then will what I write also show up in my profile?

If it only shows as a public greeting when Forumosa opens, then might I suggest renaming it thusly?
"Public Greeting
Optionally you may wish to write a public greeting to everyone; these will be displayed in rotation on the Forumosa front page when the site is first opened.

I have to agree with you. When I first learned Basic I would write a program and then change it a little and then look at it and then change it a little and then look at it and then change it a little. It’s a lot of fun.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yes, I was already logged in. I see tabs at the top, including one that says avatar, but none that say or contain anything akin to “greeting message”.

The avatar tab leads to, among other things,
“Profile Message:
Something you would like other Forumosans to know about you”

But it is entirely unclear from this wording where the message would be displayed; under my avatar in each post? In my Profile if anyone opens it? The wording implies the latter. It certainly doesn’t sound like a public greeting. If this is the public greeting input line, then will what I write also show up in my profile?

If it only shows as a public greeting when Forumosa opens, then might I suggest renaming it thusly?
"Public Greeting
Optionally you may wish to write a public greeting to everyone; these will be displayed in rotation on the Forumosa front page when the site is first opened.[/quote]
Sounds good. I’ll try to make it clearer based on what you have suggested. The public greeting appears both on the front page and on your profile. Ideally, what you write will interest people to click on it so that they will learn more about you

I think it’s cute, and a lot more meaningful than the Forumosa Friends ads. It’s only on the index page anyway. I usually skip it and go straight to the new posts.
What the “point” in sex if it’s not for reproduction ? but we still like it.

I also don’t understand why you need an image in your profile page. And the limit is 6KB for a 500 x 300 picture. That’s hard to do.

Rupert Pumpkins’ greeting is most egregious.

[quote=“aubrey”]Rupert Pumpkins’ greeting is most egregious.[/quote] Egregious: Being forced to use a dictionary after midnight.

I’ll give you twu more afore I go.

Who is the arenaceous one?

I’ll give you twu more afore I go.

Who is the arenaceous one?[/quote] Rhyme disestablishmentarism.

anti-disestablishmentarism

[quote=“aubrey”]anti-disestablishmentarism[/quote] I can’t get the Muppets ‘The Rhyming Song’ out of my head now.

I see Toe Save has the same Avatar as Rupert Pumpkin. Kama?

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Rhyme disestablishmentarism[/quote][quote=“aubrey”]anti-disestablishmentarism[/quote] I can’t get the Muppets ‘The Rhyming Song’ out of my head now.

thecapras.org/mcapra/muppets/rhyming.html