New Guangzhou disease? Anybody heard of this one?

The following is my own English translation of an image file I received this morning via a Chinese classmate, which she had received via a Chinese friend of hers. The clipping appears to be from a Mainland newspaper (it is in simplified characters and has the normal formatting of a newspaper article). There is, however, no attribution as to the source of the clipping, apart from the claim in the article that the information was previously published in the “Guangzhou Daily” (guangZHOU RiBao).

I don’t know how reliable this is, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it, or if it can be confirmed from other sources. We can’t be afraid of everything, but it does kind of make you wonder. :frowning: I can forward the image file of the Chinese original if anybody wants it.

—TRANSLATED TEXT--------------
Another Strange New Lethal Disease Appears in Guangzhou

Guangzhou has seen yet another type of strange, lethal disease. A patient with a type of contagious hemorraghic fever thought he had a cold, and put off seeing a doctor, with the result that he later died. Physicians in Guangzhou say that compared with Atypical Pneumonia, this type of hemorrhagic fever is even more chilling, as it kills in a much shorter period of time from its onset.

The “Guangzhou Times” reported that the dead man was a young worker from Hubei who had been working in Guangzhou. He spiked a sudden fever recently, and had headaches and lack of appetite. He thought he had a cold, but his condition worsened steadily, and finally when he went to the hospital to be seen, it was already too late to save him.

Symptoms are Similar to the Common Cold

Physician Xiao Yang of the Guangzhou Military Region Hospital’s Hemological Department says that this type of hemorrhagic fever is similar to the common cold. Both begin with headache, sinus pain, pain in the eyes, face, neck and upper chest due to “collection of blood” and flushing. White blood cells and abnormal lymphocytes and red cells are at higher levels than in normal people, and after the fever goes away, the patient’s condition is worse than before.

Xiao Yang says that compared to atypical pneumonia (SARS), this type of hemorrhagic fever is even more frightening, because it kills in a very short time after onset.

Currently the means of transmission for this illness is still unknown.
[end of article]

BTW, I couldn’t come up with anything on the Internet in Chinese about this one, nor is there a DATE on the article…interesting…

The Guangzhou Daily’s web site is gzdaily.dayoo.com/

There is some news there today about the pneumonia associated with SARS being caused by more than one kind of antigen. Some of the pneumonia cases are caused by an kind of chlamydia (

[quote=“Juba”]There is some news there today about the pneumonia associated with SARS being caused by more than one kind of antigen. Some of the pneumonia cases are caused by an kind of chlamydia (

Chinese for mycoplasma is a similar word:

ironlady, without the proper attributions and credit line and bylines, i would say that is a HOAX. be careful.

Well, I don’t think there’s anything to be “careful” of, exactly – I’m not going to jump off a bridge or anything at this news, even if it were true. But I think that it probably comes from a tabloid newspaper, which would mean that it’s, well, probably a bit exaggerated. Perhaps the Nanyang Group is getting back at the CCP for re-organizing them into basically a tabloid, by becoming one…??

The first paragraph of the article is all in bold print, which reminds me (on further reflection) of the typographical style of the Enquirer, the Weekly World News, and other fine weeklies in the States. I doubt it’s much to worry about (yet).

ironlady, i meant: be careful about how you disseminate the text, since it’s likely a fraud. seems that you have been careful, though, in the way that you have framed the discussion. glad you see through it. But watch it take off on the Internet. it will be TRUE by tomorrow. SMILE.

Chlamydia pneumonia is the most common form of phneumonia. Many people are carriers or have had this infection. It is thought to be the most common cause of heart attacks outside of the usual suspects.

The text, by the way, appears to come from a free daily called “du1 shi4 ri4 bao4” (“Metro”), which is owned ultimately by a Swiss group which has launched free “commuter dailies” in a number of markets. I am NOT sure if this paper is actually one of those under the Swiss “Metro” group, however (might be a rip-off, although I can’t imagine Chinese playing so free with intellectual property as to steal the name, er, well, maybe…) So the source seems to be, possibly, fairly reliable. The only caveat is that this daily’s editorial profile features very short stories, so there are likely many more details which could have been reported (such as date, place, transmission, lots of other things) which, if reported thoroughly, might have made the disease seem less threatening than what this short text did.

According to Metro’s own spin, they are “encouraging” people to read regular, traditional newspapers by giving out this free paper in their markets, kind of like movie trailers: people would hear about something and then want more detailed information about it.

[url=http://www.metrohk.com.hk/]Metro/Dushi Ribao/