New guy saying hi

Hello all,
Interesting forum you guys have here :wink:
I will be returning to Taiwan in a few days after. I am Taiwanese my self but only lived in taiwan from 3rd to 6th grade.

Just posting to say a quick hello and will be lurking around the forum for a while from now on. Love cars and bikes so I will mostly be looking in this section :smiley:

use to have a f4i and a 1988 mr2. But i doubt I will be having anything more than a scooter for a while in Taiwan. As far as car goes… I have my eye set on a impreza GC8 since they are kinda rare back in Cali and ive always wanted one

and… thats about it! cya guys around

Welcome to the board…

[quote=“spidersaurus”]
I have my eye set on a impreza GC8 since they are kinda rare back in Cali and ive always wanted one[/quote]

PM me when you start looking for a Subie. Redwagon (moderator for this section) and I are into the Subaru scene in Taiwan. You can go wrong in many ways with used GC8 or GF8 Impreza GTs around here. I’d glad to pass on any relevant buying info to you.

Cheers

[quote=“Captain Stag”]

[quote=“spidersaurus”]
I have my eye set on a impreza GC8 since they are kinda rare back in Cali and ive always wanted one[/quote]

PM me when you start looking for a Subie. Redwagon (moderator for this section) and I are into the Subaru scene in Taiwan. You can go wrong in many ways with used GC8 or GF8 Impreza GTs around here. I’d glad to pass on any relevant buying info to you.

Cheers[/quote]

sweet, will do. But prob wont be for a while :smiley: ill prob drive family’s camry initially or just commute on scooter till I settle down.
A very quick question regarding that though. are the GT’s equivalent of other place’s WRX? from memory the only GT badge they had anywhere else was only for automatic WRXs

Yep, The Impreza GT (GC) and GT5 (GF) are WRXs (with MTs). They were imported from Japan until 1998, then were locally made by TaChing until 2000. TaChing went bust and stock was sold in random parts bin specials until 2002 when Subaru of Taiwan was created. Everything then went back to Japan imports (mostly EDM spec models). Some years had a limited amount of WRX and STi imports and other years had none.

Brief history of turbo Subaru vehicles available here.

The GC8/GF8/GM8 models were sold in Japan, Australia and NZ as the WRX. In the EU and Taiwan they were known as the Impreza GT. Don’t ask me why. Second generation vehicles were known as the WRX in all markets AFAIK. The current (3rd) generation turbo Imprezas are given both handles but now they correspond to the transmission type and target market. WRX and WRX-S are all manual transmission vehicles. Impreza GT’s in the USDM are automatics. JDM models are known as the Impreza S-GT, even with a manual. Very confusing! The marketing guys have gotten too much of a free reign I think.

We are also lucky to have Sulavaca here, who was a Subaru master tech for IIRC ten years. His depth of knowledge about these vehicles is astounding.

Oh, and welcome to the flob.

arrived in Taiwan yesterday. Gonna go get my license tomorrow by exchanging it with the US license. Hopefully they can give me a big bike license too…

had a brief look around yahoo auctions, quite impossible to find a very clean stock impreza huh?
have my eyes set on 4door white GC and as little mod as possible…

but for now! i get the old family camry to drive around :smiley: