New legislation- TARC still needed for NWOHR?

What do you mean by this? Can Australian nationals live in Taiwan permanently, and enjoy the same privileges as Taiwan citizens?

I imagine the reason Satelite’s son didn’t get his HHR is because he doesn’t want to live in Taiwan, and has nothing to do with his Australian citizenship.

1 Like

They can’t, but OP’s son, from what I recollect, does not live and does not intend to live in TW, so Australian passport more convenient to use abroad, when he will need he can just swing by here and get his HHR and ID.

My assertion was based on the current situation of the person, in his instance he does not need TW passport with National ID, NWOHR works.

1 Like

My son would qualify for a Gold Card if he wanted to get one he could. Also if the new law changes and he can het HHR and ID then he could avail himself of that.

1 Like

Actually he was not sure where he would live. However given the fact he did not get citizenship at birth gave him certain advantages of living in Taiwan as a foreigner. Like access to foreign international schools. Like not being required to do military service. Being able to finish high school in June and start University in February the following year. He stayed in Taiwan having a nice break. In first year of university he met and started dating his future Australian wife. That was not planned but as he tells me, he is just living the life the cards he got dealt. Also getting good grades in his undergraduate degree and making the Deans list in his final year of JD law opened employment opportunities for him and he was interviewed in his last semester of JD law for employment by Commonwealth Bank. So knowing he was employed before he graduated was especially nice. However if the law changes and he could get his HHR and ID card with needing to live in Taiwan then he would. Four more years he passes conscription ages. Planning for the future always a nice option.

3 Likes

It also depends if he wants to work in china. Herring household registration gives unlimited access to china, a lot easier than trying to get work visas in china.

1 Like

would rather be a foreigner in China than considered a “national”, would like to keep my consular assistance there, very useful these days.

Why? Do you lose consular assistance if you’re a dual citizen? Note you do not have to give up any citizenship if you gain hhr as a nwohr.

well, if u enter china as TWnese, u r considered a national, a compatriot, so China will treat u as a Chinese and won’t let u seek for consular assistance even if u hold another citizenship. Master Citizenship rule, since China does not allow multiple nationality as per their nationality law.

So if u enter on ur taiwan compatriot permit, u r a chinese national per Chinese law in China, and will be treated as such. It comes with some advantages like ease to apply to services, but too many (too many) liabilities too.

1 Like

Depends on what nationality you are. American, not very useful consular assistance.

That’s not completely true. Taiwanese in China enjoy special privileges similar to foreigners, that Chinese don’t enjoy.

For example, they have freedom of religion (they are free to attend the same religious services as foreigners), they can have as many children as they want, and they can send their kids to international schools. Taiwanese in China are considered expats for most intents and purposes.

until u got “problems”, then u r very much chinese.

2 Likes

If they committed a serious crime like murder or espionage, then yes, but that applies to foreigners too. For smaller crimes like petty theft involving Taiwanese, don’t they usually just deport them like they do with foreigners?

nono, not those crimes ofc.

THE REAL DANGEROUS CRIMES FOR THE STATE AND PEOPLE. like maybe saying something against a policy or saying tw is not china or other amenable things.

1 Like

I think a foreigner would also be sent to prison if they were caught doing that in China, not just Taiwanese. According to the Chinese National Security Law, doing something like that is on par with espionage.

In any case, most foreigners (and Taiwanese) in China are smart enough not to do that, so it shouldn’t be a problem to live in China as a Taiwanese.

yes, but at least you could be afforded the “noise” of a foreigner being arrested for political reasons, right?

I am still not sure what we r discussing here though… In Italy we would say we r talking about the sex of angels…

1 Like

True.

1 Like

It passed legislative reading on May 30, and was promulgated into law by the President on June 28. However, it is not in effect yet (and I’m not sure there is an effective date yet): 移民署法規查詢系統

1 Like

You still get the noise as seen by some. Also not to be racist… but also having the white skin retains a big part of that noise

1 Like

Above, does “parent with hhr at your birth” mean “parent with active hhr at your birth?” Or, does an inactive hhr at birth still work in this case?

The above Chinese text, condition 3, specifies as a requirement for the father or mother that 居住臺灣地區設有戶籍國民, which seems to imply that an active hhr at the time of birth is needed for this case, once the amendment becomes effective. Is this correct?

There is no such thing as “active” or “inactive” HHR. If you are living in Taiwan, then your HHR is simply updated to reflect the address of your local HHR office. When you return, you must update the address again to your residence address.

How can a parent who is abroad have a HHR with a Taiwan address? (Or as you say, “active HHR”). Of course it will be the address of their local HHR office (or as you say “inactive”).

Your hhr becomes inactive if you left Taiwan more than 2 years. It means you lose stuff like nhi as well. This is one reason why taiwanese must return every year or so.