New Macbook

I stopped by the Apple reseller near Nova and asked them when they expect to have the new Macbook.
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
They expect the new Macbooks after July 15.

13 inch with retina is expected to be out in fall I think too. I think that’s when I’ll pick-up my first ever Mac. 15 inch is a bit too big. Might as well build my own pc if it’s that big.

the thing is that the 15" macbook pro isn’t much bigger than the 13" version due to smaller display frames. So if you have a little bit cash over, go for the 15" one with dedicated GPU.

Any word on pricing in Taiwan? I believe it starts off at like $2200 USD.

Apple’s pricing schemes are universal,
so prices are pretty much the same whether you’re in one country or another.
Just convert US prices.to you local currency, and that should do.
I always recommend 15 inch models when you can afford it.
The extra display can make all the difference when you’re multi-tasking.

On the other hand, more compact models take up less space, and are much lighter.

For some reason I didn’t notice that the 13" didn’t have a dedicated GPU. So yeah it is worth the minor convenience of the larger size. Although that’s still pretty big to fit into a backpack.

I also forgot that the new one with Retina is way thinner too…

I had a 17 inch laptop for the first couple years of my undergrad and it was a chore to lug around. But that was a DELL and probably weighed 15lbs more than this new MacBook.

[quote=“Nam”]Apple’s pricing schemes are universal,
so prices are pretty much the same whether you’re in one country or another.[/quote]
That’s not correct. The entry-level iMac is $1,199 in the US, £999 in the UK ($1,550). Entry-level iPad 3 is $499 in the US, NZ$729 ($575) in New Zealand. Substantially different.

I stopped by the Apple resellers near Nova, and they said that the new Macbooks are sold out with a 2-week waiting list.
So they don’t even have a display model, and probably don’t expect to have a display model until August because of the back order.

[quote=“Taffy”][quote=“Nam”]Apple’s pricing schemes are universal,
so prices are pretty much the same whether you’re in one country or another.[/quote]
That’s not correct. The entry-level iMac is $1,199 in the US, £999 in the UK ($1,550). Entry-level iPad 3 is $499 in the US, NZ$729 ($575) in New Zealand. Substantially different.[/quote]

Not sure about NZ, but UK price includes 20% sales tax (VAT). The US price is always quoted without sales tax (it’ll be added on at point of sale - amount depends upon the state).

Think UK also add extra duty to computers/electronics, hence the slightly greater price difference.