New programs for bilingual instruction

Hey guys,

So I work for a public school in Taipei. I’ve been teaching subjects like history and geography in English at my public high school (along with a separate bilingual class that’s for taiwanese students). The class I teach is for either native speakers or for taiwanese with advanced levels of English (spent a lot of time abroad). Currently I only have two students which made me think that it’s likely not being advertised very well.

The requirements are not strict, you just need either a gold card or an arc with proof from your company. I have the full official list of requirements and I’d love to share it in more detail if anyone is interested.

My school also isn’t the only school with this program. I also know if at least one other Jr high school with this program. They also have a dual degree program (which is separate I don’t teach that one) with Canadian schools that makes it easier to attend Canadian schools after graduation.

Anyway, I just thought I’d try to get the word out since it seems like not too many people know about these programs?

3 Likes

though in chinese

2022-06-23

The National Education Department approved the 111th school year expansion plan for senior high school bilingual experimental classes-subsidy list
https://www.k12ea.gov.tw/Tw/News/NewsDetail?filter=35950C34-6713-4B14-AB90-2461920C0386&id=696c6e7a-2b21-43a3-9a95-ed309ab50bef

55 high schools

Sounds like heaven. Enjoy it while it lasts.

5 Likes

Well in these classes I mean. I have other classes with 30 students.

The high school students must have golden card or ARC? :thinking:

I think they are looking for more teachers and the requirements are mentioned.

I am interested. How can I get more info about it?

some articles in Chinese

and english

1 Like

Is so, why is the topic in “Parenting”?

You are right, didn’t notice that.

No their parents but I think an arc is ok

Sorry I put it here to let everyone with kids who want a public education to know there should be more options now.

International schools are really expensive and I’m sure not everyone can afford to send their kids to TAS or TES. Now that there are starting to be more options available I thought it’d be great to help people become more aware of it

2 Likes

some schools give priority to kids of parents who moved/are moving from overseas, are employed at certain companies, etc. some request certain grades for Comprehensive Assessment Program for Junior High School Students, TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS etc. some accept foreign students without taking an entrance exam local students take, and their tuition may be higher than tuition for locals.

1 Like

Oh , OK .
Care to share the other requirements? I’m sure it will be helpful for those interested in the topic.

Ok here’s the official wording

1. Children of foreign professionals (not including full-time teachers in short-term cram schools registered
    which are excluded in accordance with the Tutoring and Continuing Education Act), specified foreign
    professionals, and foreign senior professionals who meet the provisions of Article 4 of the "Foreign
    Professional Talent Acquisition and Employment Act”
    (1) Foreign professionals: refers to foreigners who are allowed to engage in professional work in
    our country.
    (2) Foreign specific professionals refer to foreign professionals in the preceding paragraph who
    have special expertise in science and technology, economics, education, culture, arts, sports, and
    other fields required by the country as announced by the central competent business authority.
    (3)Foreign high-level professionals: refer to the high-level professionals required by our country as
    specified in Article 25, Paragraph 3, Subparagraph 2 of the Immigration
    Act.( https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0080132)
    (4) Professional work: refers to the following work:
    a. The jobs specified in Article 46, Paragraph 1, Paragraphs 1 to 3, 5, and 6 of the Employment
    Services Act.( https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=N0090001)
    b. Work as specified in Article 48, Paragraph 1, paragraphs 1 and 3 of the Employment
    Services Act.
    c. The Ministry of Education has approved the establishment of special classes for foreign
    professionals, specific foreign professionals, and children of foreign senior professionals
    who are teachers of subjects other than foreign languages.
    d. Subjects stipulated in the Regulations for the Implementation of School-type Experimental
    Education, the Regulations on the Entrustment of Private Schools by Public Senior High
    Schools to Private Administering Experimental Education, and the Regulations for the
    Implementation of Non-School Type Experimental Education at the Higher and Lower
    Secondary Education Stages, Foreign Language Course Teaching, Teacher Training, Course
    Development, and Activities Promotion work.
  2. Children who are eligible for the “Regulations for Children of Outstanding Overseas Scientific and
    Technological Talents to Study in Taiwan.”
    (https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=H0060024)
  3. Children of international talents such as returning scholars or managers, when they and their children
    have stayed abroad for more than one year continuously.
  4. Students of bilingual education classes and language education classes in public national secondary
    schools set up in accordance with the “Implementation Plan for Improving my country’s Overseas
    Talent Acquisition Policy” by the National and Pre-school Education Administration of the Ministry of
    Education. Teachers at a public or registered private college/university or school established especially
    for foreign residents.
1 Like

I’m just curious, do your students in these classes actually have a high enough English proficiency to learn high school curriculum in English? It’s been my experience that many of the kids in programs like this are able to pass the exams necessary to get in, because the exams don’t actually test their language proficiency, but then you end up with what is essentially a “new arrival to America ESL class” but worse — you need to spend a lot of time unteaching them words that make no sense in that context and they fall back on writing zhuyin over English words because they don’t know phonics, they look to someone else to translate what you’re saying when you ask insanely basic questions, etc.

I know you just listed the requirements, but I’ve had quite a few tutees that meet those requirements but would need basically 1:1 support daily to do anything but totally fail in an English program at a native English speaker’s grade level. I know I come on here and complain about fake bilingual ed practically on a daily basis, but I obviously have reasons for such opinions…

@nz
There are only two students like I said but their English is up to par. It’s not native level, but it’s certainly fluent. They both are doing just fine with the material I’m teaching as far as language skills go.

This class they call “the international class”. I have another class called bilingual instruction which is only regular taiwanese students (no experience in immersion programs or significant time abroad although I know a few have spent a year or two on exchange in Jr high). That class couldn’t handle the material I teach in history, geography or language arts. They are definitely not at the fluent level yet and have really wide spread ability levels. So I’m thinking these types of classes are more what you might be thinking of?

1 Like

i now understand the courses you introduced are Special Classes for Children of Overseas Talented Personnel 海外攬才子女專班. they are different from the bilingual courses 雙語實驗班 of 55 high schools i posted.

here is a relevant law
Regulations for Studying in Taiwan for Children of Outstanding Overseas Scientific and Technological Personnel

builingual courses of high schools in Science Parks also have similar requiements, or priority.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry the different terminology gets really confusing sometimes

1 Like

There are two high schools with special classes for Expat Children and three high schools in Science Parks with bilingual courses.

EPEC(Education Platform for Expat Children) Class information

1. Dayuan International Senior High School
  2. Taipei Municipal Yangming High School
    Their cost is 100k NTD or so per semester, right?

International Bilingual Schools at Science Parks are as follows:

1. International Bilingual School at Hsinchu-Science-Park
    1. International Bilingual School at Central Taiwan Science Park
    1. International Bilingual School at Tainan-Science-Park

You will find more information on EPEC

1 Like