New strict Laws for Drinking and Driving

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]

I would be more concerned about the low limit since this could be exceeded by using certain mouthwashes, eating over riped fruit, etc.[/quote]

The penny finally drops.

Virtually everybody is going to be over the limit at some time of the day, even those who would never dream of DUI. Criminalise everyone but continue to fail prosecuting those who are the worst offenders.[/quote]

I find that very hard to believe considering very sane countries such as Sweden have very low limits as well and some places have zero levels for learners. Any real science behind your claim?

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]

I would be more concerned about the low limit since this could be exceeded by using certain mouthwashes, eating over riped fruit, etc.[/quote]

The penny finally drops.

Virtually everybody is going to be over the limit at some time of the day, even those who would never dream of DUI. Criminalise everyone but continue to fail prosecuting those who are the worst offenders.[/quote]

I find that very hard to believe considering very sane countries such as Sweden have very low limits as well and some places have zero levels for learners. Any real science behind your claim?[/quote]

oh c’mon. That’s your answer? How many people do you know who make a habit of eating several kilos of rotten fruit?

0.05%BAC is not a trivial amount. You need to ingest about two units of alcohol: a pint of beer, or a couple of glasses of wine. You would feel drunk (slightly). I am absolutely astounded that some people here are arguing that it’s our divine right to drive with our senses impaired, especially in a country where people don’t pay attention at the best of times.

Also overlooked, I fear, are factors that are likely to make driving while intoxicated (fair enough, I won’t say “drunk”) more dangerous than it might appear:

1. It’s 2am. You’ll be sleepy. This in itself is unsafe.
  2. The roads will have more than its usual share of drunk drivers.
  3. Your attention might be occupied by, say, rehearsals of what you’re going to do with the la mei in the passenger seat.

If you’re still sure that 0.05% is draconian, you may want to write to the FAA on behalf of those poor pilots who are forbidden to touch alcohol before a flight. A pint to calm your nerves is just what the doctor ordered, surely?

[quote=“finley”]oh c’mon. That’s your answer? How many people do you know who make a habit of eating several kilos of rotten fruit?

0.05%BAC is not a trivial amount. You need to ingest about two units of alcohol: a pint of beer, or a couple of glasses of wine. You would feel drunk (slightly). I am absolutely astounded that some people here are arguing that it’s our divine right to drive with our senses impaired, especially in a country where people don’t pay attention at the best of times.

Also overlooked, I fear, are factors that are likely to make driving while intoxicated (fair enough, I won’t say “drunk”) more dangerous than it might appear:

1. It’s 2am. You’ll be sleepy. This in itself is unsafe.
  2. The roads will have more than its usual share of drunk drivers.
  3. Your attention might be occupied by, say, rehearsals of what you’re going to do with the la mei in the passenger seat.

If you’re still sure that 0.05% is draconian, you may want to write to the FAA on behalf of those poor pilots who are forbidden to touch alcohol before a flight. A pint to calm your nerves is just what the doctor ordered, surely?[/quote]

0.05 was fine for a steep fine. Making that the line for criminality is where my beef lies.

You seriously can’t drive after 1 beer?

Great post Tommy! Can I be your campaign manager when you run for Mayor of Simpleton?

Have you ever made an even boderline decent post in this forum?

I AM the Mayor of Simpleton already :slight_smile:. Just keeping it REAL and SIMPLE.

If you allow an inch the peeps go for 2 inches. IF you know you absolutely can’t even have ONE DRINK, then maybe you will take a cab to the event . Then when you actually had 3 glasses of wine , you can still get home …in a cab.

As a person who’s job used to involved huge amounts of entertaining. Which meant drinking alot. I certainly can see where at times I might have been less safe on the road.

With these new rules, I would just forget about it and …take a cab.

Too bad there’s not a better way to measure safety than BAC. I understand alcohol affects reaction time more than people who have been drinking realize at the time. But I have to agree it’s lame to have to worry about getting caught driving after drinking one lousy beer. Tolerance is the single biggest factor, which itself involves a slew of factors. I know some girls that might have a hard time even starting a car after one beer. A seasoned drinker like myself, well, I could drink a 6 pack and still juggle 3 bowling pins while riding a unicycle. That doesn’t mean I would drive after having 6 beers, but low-tolerance guys might actually puke after drinking that much. I hate to think what my bar tab would be if I drank enough to get sick. Maybe drunk driving certification would help prevent fatal accidents and unnecessary worry from those with battle-tested livers. Personally, I would ride shotgun with DD after he had a few pints and not worry one iota.

He he :smiley:

Hey, how did you get that? I never released rights to that pic. And that was after I was too drunk to juggle bowling pins

What about cell phone use while driving?
What are the laws in Taiwan?
I remember reading more than once that using your phone while driving is akin to drink driving - what stage I don’t know.
Any accident in the west now results in all phones taken and analyzed.

I don’t get this attitude. Laws are made to apply broadly. Yeah, some 14 year old are mature enough to vote and drive but we make them wait.

Tolerance is a bullshit measure, as it goes up and down even within the individual especially if they are taking medicine (which at any one time about 1/3 of the adult population is). Personally I know if I am a bit dehydrated from heavy exercise one beer can make me feel light headed enough I shouldn’t drive. But that’s probably because I am more self aware than most people and honest with myself. Also, for the past few months I have been taking an anti-inflammatory medicine. If I have more than two drinks I have near hallucinatory dreams. Completely makes me spaced out. Yeah, well, millions of people are right now taking this exact same drug daily (and the average dose is twice what I am taking). One drink and they are definitely impaired.

Find a country where pharmaceuticals are not routinely prescribed and you may have a point to make.

I’m a 5’2" female: my reactions would be impaired. And I can drink every Taiwanese woman I’ve ever drunk with under the table. I guess if the law is to err on the safer side, then a western guy who regularly drinks isn’t really an indicator of who is driving round Taipei. Women, 50% of Asians, slimmer people, all get impaired by a much lower level of alcohol than you might think is reasonable.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
[/quote]

I’m a 5’2" female: my reactions would be impaired. And I can drink every Taiwanese woman I’ve ever drunk with under the table. I guess if the law is to err on the safer side, then a western guy who regularly drinks isn’t really an indicator of who is driving round Taipei. Women, 50% of Asians, slimmer people, all get impaired by a much lower level of alcohol than you might think is reasonable.[/quote]

Hell yeah. My ex wife would pass out if she drank a full glass of wine in a short period of time (under ten-fifteen minutes for example).

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
Tolerance is a bullshit measure, as it goes up and down even within the individual especially if they are taking medicine [/quote]

Uh, yeah, that’s why I said tolerance depends on a slew of factors :unamused: You been mixing up your meds again?

Lets leave the discussion about drinking to the grown-ups’ table, shall we? :laughing:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
[/quote]

I’m a 5’2" female: my reactions would be impaired. And I can drink every Taiwanese woman I’ve ever drunk with under the table. I guess if the law is to err on the safer side, then a western guy who regularly drinks isn’t really an indicator of who is driving round Taipei. Women, 50% of Asians, slimmer people, all get impaired by a much lower level of alcohol than you might think is reasonable.[/quote]

Hell yeah. My ex wife would pass out if she drank a full glass of wine in a short period of time (under ten-fifteen minutes for example).[/quote]

Yeah, there’s a gene for that stuff which Asians either do or don’t have (not no enny sie-unces). Did she go really red-faced as well? I can’t drink red wine: one glass makes me slur my speech and lose my balance, but I’m Anglo-Celtic and evolved beyond the grape-line.

OK, so that’s maybe not fair on the rest of youse, but you want the like of me and MM’s ex-wife off the roads, not just big guys who had 10 pints.

[quote=“louisfriend”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Tolerance is a bullshit measure, as it goes up and down even within the individual especially if they are taking medicine [/quote]

Uh, yeah, that’s why I said tolerance depends on a slew of factors :unamused:
[/quote]

Yeah, but your point was that a one drink limit is lame. Why make that if you agree a one drink limit is actually perfectly acceptable as a general rule?

Now that is seriously lame. :unamused:

Lets leave the discussion about drinking to the grown-ups’ table, shall we? :laughing:[/quote]

Like I said, I am honest with myself. And really really genuinely impressed with your high tolerance. What was it? Six pints? :roflmao:

Where and when did I ever agree to anything of the such?

From your posts I’d say you’re on your 4th beer

[quote=“louisfriend”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Yeah, but your point was that a one drink limit is lame. Why make that if you agree a one drink limit is actually perfectly acceptable as a general rule?
[/quote]

Where and when did I ever agree to anything of the such?[/quote]

Oh dear. You are pulling a fred smith on us now. Okay fine. You didn’t agree. You merely stated that you understand that tolerance is relative, many people can’t handle more than one drink, but still want to claim a one drink limit is lame because you believe you can handle it?

Btw, I am on my third beer. One more and I bet you start to make sense.

[/quote]

Oh dear. You are pulling a fred smith on us now. .[/quote]

Classic, MM :smiley: !

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“louisfriend”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
[/quote]

Where and when did I ever agree to anything of the such?[/quote]

Oh dear. You are pulling a fred smith on us now. Okay fine. You didn’t agree. You merely stated that you understand that tolerance is relative, many people can’t handle more than one drink, but still want to claim a one drink limit is lame because you believe you can handle it?

Btw, I am on my third beer. One more and I bet you start to make sense.[/quote]

What’s your obsession with fred smith? :astonished: Anything to do with your meds? I guess anyone who questions your misguided responses probably gives you fred smith hallucinations.

I was just being playful when I posted the comment that mentioned riding shotgun with DD after he drank a few pints. I knew at the time some anal retentive regular would jump on it. No surprise it turned out to be you :smiley: I admit I provoked our continued exchange on this thread by taking a bit of cheap shot. It’s nothing personal. You seem like you’d be a cool chap in person. I’m a kitten and the flob is by personal ball of yarn. Since you’re so honest and straightforward about your alcohol tolerance you should at least admit some of your posts make you an easy target. Besides, the type of hair on your icon looks a bit like yarn

Jesus, dude, I know you are kidding. How many drinks have you had? I looooooove you toooo maaaaannnnnn.

Btw, I am honest that my tolerance level changes depending on my health, hydration, and so on. That should be something every adult recognizes. There are times I can drink pint after pint, or shot after shot, but there are times I feel lightheated after a single glass. Big fucking deal. I imagine it is the same for everyone though some tough guys will pretend it isn’t. That’s why I support tougher laws that pretty much make all drinking and driving illegal. Cause humans, especially guys, are fuckheads about regulating themselves and making sensible choices. After three pints most 18 year olds think they can take on the whole bar. :laughing:

Oh, and I llloooooooooveeee yuuuuuuuuu mmmmmmaaaaannnnn!!!