New strict Laws for Drinking and Driving

You definitely are unique, and your humor eludes me. But I still think you’re not at all a bad guy, somehow

Why,Thankyou louisfriend. Sorry,was that meant for MM?. :wink:Problem with humour,is that it can be so different,even within Europe,that many witty comments are missed,or seen as unfunny. I know,mainly mine,before someone posts!. :stuck_out_tongue:
I think the “banter” between friends,is one of the things I miss most,living here.Forumosa can,at least, make me smile,in an all to serious World.
What was the Topic ,again?.

Hey they are NOT joking about this. This news clip shows what is said to be a guy who is the first guy to be stopped in Taipei who refused a breath-analyser test. He was fined 90,000nt and GOT HIS LICENSE SUSPENDED FOR THREE YEARS. He was just over the limit.

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Q1k13X0jqk

Apparently there has been so many cases in recent years in Taiwan, where many (especially those on scooters) have been knocked down and killed by drunk drivers.

And worse they only got very light sentences of a year in prison or so, or less.

Different then in China where one recent 30 year old was drunk driving and killed 4 people. He was sentenced to DEATH.

ck101.com/thread-2384134-1-1.html

Drunk driving has to be eradicated one way or another.

I’m sorry, maybe it’s different for everyone but ONE beer will definitely impair you in some way. The worst thing about drinking is you think it’s ok to drive because you’re not drunk. How many drunks have you heard saying he’s not drunk? more than I can count.

If you drank alcohol, you shouldn’t drive PERIOD. This goes for sleeping pills, antihistamines, or other substance that makes you feel drowsy or impaired. Perhaps you think you’ve driven long enough you think you can react to anything that goes on, or things you are not aware of until .001 seconds to impact, however driving demands your utmost attention even when everything seems slow and easy. 0.01 second is the difference between escaping unharmed and a pile of mush on the pavement.

If you been to a bar and knows you need to drive home, order cranberry juice or something. If you end up drinking go call a cab. Don’t put everyone else at risk just because you think you can wing it. I know the law sucks but it’s’ time they do something about it, cause I for one am sick of people disregarding traffic rules and having every block I walk or bike be a death defying adventure!

It’s your choice, drink OR drive, but not both!

Fixed.

I think anyone that says they can handle 4-6 beers with very little effects (high tolerance) should play some racing/flying video games. I did this in college sometimes those nights I considered myself ‘not that drunk’. I was always running into shit and missing turns in the video games.

Fixed.

I think anyone that says they can handle 4-6 beers with very little effects (high tolerance) should play some racing/flying video games. I did this in college sometimes those nights I considered myself ‘not that drunk’. I was always running into shit and missing turns in the video games.[/quote]
How much alcohol you can handle, depends on how active you are while drinking.
If you are sitting in front of a video game, and don’t do any physical activity, your liver won’t break down any/much alcohol.
If you are dancing your body will lose 0.01 blood-alcohol per hour, maybe even more.
So if you drink one beer, your blood-alcohol will rise to 0.05 minus 0.01 for every hour dancing.
In Germany, the limit used to be 0.08. After 2 beer and three hours of dancing, it was pretty certain that you’d pass any alcohol controls.

If they ever catch you, keep exercising till they actually take your blood.

Sorry, nothing except time will reduce your blood alcohol level or the level of impairment. Food and activity will have an effect on the perceived level of drunkenness (possibly due to slowed rate of absorption of alcohol.

In any case do not think dancing will get you off the hook, they can extrapolate the blood test to the time of driving.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

It takes me 3 drinks according to the chart in the article (at my body weight) to get me over 0.05%, and after that many drinks I know I can’t drive (I speak from experience). Hell I wouldn’t even drive with one drink because I definitely feel something, and the slight loss of concentration could mean an accident!

We don’t really need another Zain Dean.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]
We don’t really need another Zain Dean.[/quote]

I’ve never been so drunk that I tried to leave Taiwan with another person’s passport.

Fixed.

I think anyone that says they can handle 4-6 beers with very little effects (high tolerance) should play some racing/flying video games. I did this in college sometimes those nights I considered myself ‘not that drunk’. I was always running into shit and missing turns in the video games.[/quote]
How much alcohol you can handle, depends on how active you are while drinking.
If you are sitting in front of a video game, and don’t do any physical activity, your liver won’t break down any/much alcohol.
If you are dancing your body will lose 0.01 blood-alcohol per hour, maybe even more.
So if you drink one beer, your blood-alcohol will rise to 0.05 minus 0.01 for every hour dancing.
In Germany, the limit used to be 0.08. After 2 beer and three hours of dancing, it was pretty certain that you’d pass any alcohol controls.

If they ever catch you, keep exercising till they actually take your blood.[/quote]

There’s a big difference between 2 beers and 4-6 beers. Unless someone is 300lbs they are going to be impaired. it won’t matter how much dancing you are doing or what your tolerance is.

One beer will impair you in some way, unless you’re very heavy. Even below legal limits (which takes about 2 beers by the way) your inhibition is lowered enough that you shouldn’t drive. Lowered inhibition makes you want to take stupid risks and loss of concentration means you won’t actually pay attention when taking those risks.

Please no more discussion on how to circumvent alcohol detection methods. It’s against the law and therefore against forum rules to talk about it. If you got booked for using cough syrup or mouthwash a blood test will reveal that you have little to no alcohol in your blood. Also cops won’t stop you unless your driving shows that you are impaired.

No problem really. Don’t stop at drinking and meds. In order to get a driver’s license you must pass an IQ test and physical test as well, Goodbye to anyone scoring under 100 or having physical challenges. No handicaps please.

And we can also eliminate anyone over 60.

Thank god the Flynn effect is finished in developed countries in spite of what our politicians have proven or contraverse. Truly intelligent eugenics would require sane people to stay off the road and let blunder meet buss.

of course this is meant in jest.

The laws were already strict. They just became stricter. And in the future they will become even stricter, and stricter, and stricter… but this will not solve the problem; instead it will net more and more innocents.

It’s a tricky one in a country like Taiwan, which is kind of an all or nothing place in terms of law enforcement.
You let one guy BBQ on the street next year there’s a hundred guys bbq’ing.

You let one gal ride her scooter and park it on the pavement 10 minutes late there are 5 scooters parked beside it.

Ya get the idea.

The problem I have is it’s the usual wood for the trees approach, driving behaviour and licensing here needs a complete overhaul.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s a tricky one in a country like Taiwan, which is kind of an all or nothing place in terms of law enforcement.

The problem I have is it’s the usual wood for the trees approach, driving behaviour and licensing here needs a complete overhaul.[/quote]

Agreed. Nothing will change. They introduced laws about being buckled up in the back seat of a car, and I see that worked as well as every other law they pushed through as a knee-jerk reaction to some horrible accident or event. In a few months time, the drink-drivers will be one the roads again, shooting traffic lights, meandering into oncoming traffic and doing what they do best.

They are dangerous enough without alcohol so perhaps they should start with general driving skills and not giving licenses to anyone who can pay the fee (and bribe).

Innocent Taiwanese drivers? There’s an interesting concept :smiley:

Sorry if this is a bump and off-topic question but how much would be over the limit for, say, a 150 lb male?

Would 1 x 330ml can of beer be ok?

What about 2 cans?

Thanks

There are calculators out there, but needless to say about 2 cans will put you over the limit, or just under the limit. If it’s .08 (like some US States) then it’s around 3 cans.

The only way to be sure is not drinking at all if you’re planning to drive. If you want to drink, just grab a taxi. Everyone will be safer.

[quote=“zeno”]Sorry if this is a bump and off-topic question but how much would be over the limit for, say, a 150 lb male?

Would 1 x 330ml can of beer be ok?

What about 2 cans?

Thanks[/quote]

Its all moot if you get in an accident. Now everyone in an accident is tested, and if you have alcohol in your system but are under the limit, you are still in trouble.

Its basically zero tolerance already, so all you ‘if you are going to drink get a taxi’ clowns can continue your mastery of the obvious with the full confidence that you are correct.

Golly, sounds a little like Sandy Hook’s new gun control law that restricts target shooting because some maniac shot up a school.

Except that in that thread, you declared:

[quote=“Chris”]Baby steps.

A tiny bit of progress beats no progress at all. And it certainly beats regress.[/quote]