New strict Laws for Drinking and Driving

Usually you aren’t such a dick when you disagree with people obviously arguing in good faith. Save the sarcasm for the trolls and the disingenuous please. :bow:

Look, I understand that people who love to drink is pissed about not being able to drink and drive, for all the inconvenience. Telling the driver your home address while being drunk is more difficult than just driving there with almost ampty streets, I get it.

But as someone who eventually will be on the street, I’m glad not having drunk drivers around. Taiwanese drivers are already bad enough.

Now to the other thing: People is essentially stupid being sober, now when they drink is even worse. I have been working as a safety&health manager in the construction sector. Workers know they shouldn’t drink before or during work, but they do it anyways. I’ve caught in the act workers who were drinking the first aid kit alcohol, for god’s sakes! What’s so difficult to understand? Accidents happen more often than not even when the workers aren’t drunk. Alcohol just makes it easier. Same with driving accidents.

Look, I understand that people who love to drink is pissed about not being able to drink and drive, for all the inconvenience. Telling the driver your home address while being drunk is more difficult than just driving there with almost ampty streets, I get it.[/quote]

No you did not get it. :wink:

Taxi home = 250NT$ = one or two pints of beer. Considering that before one or two pints were considered safe to drive by a lot of people, this new limit increases the total cost of an evening out by a factor of 1.5 - 2.0, that is what bothers the drunk driving apologetics.

Option one: Don’t drink.

Option two: Don’t drive.

It’s really not very difficult. If you can’t spare the couple hundred NTD for a taxi, cut out before the MRT stops at midnight or find a creative way to stay out until 6 am the next morning.

Look, I understand that people who love to drink is pissed about not being able to drink and drive, for all the inconvenience. Telling the driver your home address while being drunk is more difficult than just driving there with almost ampty streets, I get it.[/quote]

Taxi home = 250NT$ = one or two pints of beer. Considering that before one or two pints were considered safe to drive by a lot of people, this new limit increases the total cost of an evening out by a factor of 1.5 - 2.0, that is what bothers the drunk driving apologetics.[/quote]

Nonsense. Driving while intoxicated can have disastrous consequences. Your reflexes are not the same, even if you only drank half a pint. And traffic in Taiwan is dangerous enough to drive through even when sober, specially if you’re in a scooter. How much can the medical bills cost if you are involved in an accident and you break a leg or an arm? If you don’t have an accident, that will boost your self-confidence and odds are that you’ll drink more next time. Until something happens. And even if you don’t have an accident, what about the police controls? If they stop you and you’re intoxicated, you’re in for many fun soap-dropping sessions at the nearest jailhouse, and/or you risk being deported. Risk is too high either way, and the consequences outweight having to spend NT$250 in a taxi. If you’re out drinking with buddies, you can also try to carpool and take turns behind the wheel. There are enough options.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Option one: Don’t drink.

It’s really not very difficult. If you can’t spare the couple hundred NTD for a taxi, cut out before the MRT stops at midnight or find a creative way to stay out until 6 am the next morning.[/quote]

That’s about it.

No you did not get it. :wink:[/quote]

Nonsense. [/quote]

No, you really didn’t get it. :laughing:

Taxi home = 250NT$ = one or two pints of beer. Considering that before one or two pints were considered safe to drive by a lot of people, this new limit increases the total cost of an evening out by a factor of 1.5 - 2.0, that is what bothers the drunk driving apologetics.[/quote]

Nonsense. Driving while intoxicated can have disastrous consequences. Your reflexes are not the same, even if you only drank half a pint. And traffic in Taiwan is dangerous enough to drive through even when sober, specially if you’re in a scooter. How much can the medical bills cost if you are involved in an accident and you break a leg or an arm? If you don’t have an accident, that will boost your self-confidence and odds are that you’ll drink more next time. Until something happens. And even if you don’t have an accident, what about the police controls? If they stop you and you’re intoxicated, you’re in for many fun soap-dropping sessions at the nearest jailhouse, and/or you risk being deported. Risk is too high either way, and the consequences outweight having to spend NT$250 in a taxi. If you’re out drinking with buddies, you can also try to carpool and take turns behind the wheel. There are enough options.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Option one: Don’t drink.

It’s really not very difficult. If you can’t spare the couple hundred NTD for a taxi, cut out before the MRT stops at midnight or find a creative way to stay out until 6 am the next morning.[/quote]

That’s about it.[/quote]

I should have added “/s” for sarcasm.

I was told from a friend of someone running one of the popular foreign centric bars that they were informed new laws stipulate any foreigners caught drink driving can be deported unless they have an APRC. (in another thread I have posted about such a scenario which I am waiting to find out more about).

Whilst this will never effect me as I don’t drink, it may be of concern for idiots that do drink and drive. And those that do, I suggest finding out if this hearsay is actually law.

This is not exactly a “new law”. But then again I do not expect illegal-Kindergarten-turned-Pub-proprietors to exactly know what they are talking about.

The Immigration Act is very clear on this. Irrespective of whether the foreigner holds an ARC or APRC, any conviction to a prison term of one year or more will lead to deportation. Refer to Articles 32 and 33 of the Immigration Act.

Punishments for drunk driving can easily be in a relevant range, i.e. a prison term of more than one year (rf. Article 185-3 of the Criminal Code.

Hence APRC holders face the same deportation threshold as ARC holders.

Aside from these specific instances, the government may very well decide to not let you re-enter Taiwan for any criminal record either abroad or in the ROC. You may also be banned from entering if your presence is simply not desirable to the powers that be (rf. Article 18, sub-paragraphs 13 and 14, Immigration Act.) It would appear more likely for the government to apply a strict standard to most ARC holders and be more lenient towards ARC holders with local spouses and APRC holders.