New type of license plate for classic cars and motorcycles

From what I can gather, the government has approved an ‘antique license’ for classic cars. I’m quite pleased and excited about this, as keeping a classic car can be really expensive. Maybe this will encourage more cars to be saved! Some key points:

• Cars older than 35 years are eligible
  • The style of the license plate is white lettering on brown, with KUA-###
  • the cars have to be original (interior, engine, gearbox, brakes, chassis)
  • Certain restrictions apply:
    • Cars can only be driven on Sundays, public holidays, or to participate in vehicle related activities
    • Cars can only be driven in the city / county where it is registered
    • Cars cannot use freeways or highways
    • unless you have special permission.

Does anyone have any more info, like how will this impact license tax?

source: 「古董車牌」到底是什麼?古董車可以上高速公路嗎?古董車牌 2023 年底上路前「 5 大重點」一次公開! | GQ Taiwan

2 Likes

Utter BS, rules just for the sake of rules.

In Italy just 3 weeks ago I got married and we chose as wedding car a young 80 years old Lancia, still going strong.

Talking to the owner, he has no restrictions whatsoever, can go on highway, has reduced car registration tax, discounted insurance. You must register the vehicle with an ad-hoc procedure to determine the historic value, besides that, all good.

TW really can’t care less about the heritage, so many old buildings and vehicles just get disposed to get the nth Toyota RAV4 or lexus or mercedes… Very sad

3 Likes

I’d say it’s great progress. The big change, from what I can understand, is that it’s now reasonable to import a classic car/motorcycle from abroad and make it road legal.

1 Like

So, it’s for rich people to keep their investment in their garage.

2 Likes

Oh cool. No big deal at all. Congrats.

1 Like