News Coverage on victims

What kind of State system do you support for Israel-Palestine

• Status Quo
  • Two Separate, Internationally Recognized States of Israel and Palestine
  • One recognized State where Palestinians and Israelis are both represented eg with some kind of bicameral government or what-have-you
  • Other

0 voters

first, i’m noticing a lot of threads in Open Forum are political discussions. Should Forumosa have a Politics (Domestic and International) Forum/Fori?

Sometimes I notice slight slants in news coverage of the Israel-Palestine conflict when youths/children/infants get killed or injured in the crossfire.

When it’s a israeli victim, the news seems to emphasize the gender and age more and maybe even get front page status highlighting that fact.

But sometimes when a palestinian victim of similar gender/age etc is reported, it doesn’t seem to given as much attention, kinda just “glossed over” so to speak.

btw, this doesn’t have to be about israel-palestine, just about coverage of civilian victims in general and how each side is portrayed by international media. could be about russia-chechnya etc.

Putting in a poll (I suppose this is dangerous and makes it more of a israel-palestine thread, but just curious all the same.)

From the title, I thought this was about the way the Taiwanese media thrusts TV cameras in the face of anyone involved in anything “newsworthy” here.

I’m sure we all particularly enjoy those shots of bloodied and distraught victims of car wrecks accompanied by such inane reporter questions as “How do you feel?” as the fire department struggles to cut the victims legs free.

Sorry, Jack: off the topic again.

Thin Lizzy

The flipside of your question, Jack, is distinguishing between freedom fighters, rebels, oppressed minorities, guerillas and terrorists. Like all humans, reporters and editors are biased and the distinctions are often subjective.

even as I now rack my brain for lyrics form that awesome band, I do not understand the reference,

Chou

even as I now rack my brain for lyrics form that awesome band, I do not understand the reference,

Chou[/quote]

The reference is: Thin Lizzy was a band, Status Quo were a bunch of talentless wankers (and that’s coming from someone who once owned a cheesecloth shirt and a denim waistcoat :blush: ).

[quote=“Soddom”]From the title, I thought this was about the way the Taiwanese media thrusts TV cameras in the face of anyone involved in anything “newsworthy” here.

I’m sure we all particularly enjoy those shots of bloodied and distraught victims of car wrecks accompanied by such inane reporter questions as “How do you feel?” as the fire department struggles to cut the victims legs free.

Sorry, Jack: off the topic again.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I thought Soddom! I won’t watch their ambulance chasing anymore.

yes, that was an implication I was well aware of. who are the terrorists and who aren’t. It’s not always obvious. When terrorists become victors, do they then get to be called Freedom fighters? Don’t forget, the Yankees were “law-breaking” treasonous rebels. Even the early Israelis (Stern Gang) used guerilla tactics against the British Mandate. The Brits called them terrorists. Their tactics are ironic given the Israel today.

Still, this point is distinctive from the civilian victims themselves. Is a Palestinian child less lamentable than an Israeli even if “we” perceive the Palestinian militants to be terrorists (and therefore associate/judge any Palestinian casualty as just “one of the bad guys”)? Is a 911 victim more sympathetic than a Afghani victim? Does the media give them the same consideration or employ the same tones (and not necessarily US media if that’s what you’re thinking although CNN, what rubbish :unamused: :unamused: )

History is written by the victors, as they say…

I definitely think there was nationalistic (pro-US) bias in the Iraq news coverage. Reporters are people too, and I felt the media was trying to show a positive light to the Iraq conflict. When that statue in the square in central Baghdad was pulled down and a US (and later Iraqi flag) placed on it by a Chinese American soldier from Brooklyn NY, how many times was that played over and over and over on CNN around the world? Yet there were maybe only 200 Iraqis in the whole crowd. If there had been a true groundswell of support, the scene would have been more like Eastern European cities at the end of the Cold War with thousands/millions streaming into the streets in protest and then in celebration.

The French government actually thought the US government was involved in a covert “smear France” campaign, and I personally suspect it was nothing more than the US media itself.