News/police helicopters?

You know I never seen any news or police helicopters in Taiwan, are they not allowed to use helicopters for that purpose or is there not a real need?

I notice most helicopters in Taiwan (apart from the helicopter Taipei tour) are military…

There’s no civilian aircraft in Taiwan, just like there’s no leisure watercraft, it’s against the law.

You didn’t know that??

I thought there is already a development of civilian yachts or something?

Sure why would they bother spending money on news helicopters when they could just make up news stories for free?

Don’t think so, man.

We build them, but we can’t own them.
Out of a Taiwan port, anyway.

Don’t think so, man.

Out of a Taiwan port, anyway.[/quote]

Sorry that information is incorrect. it has been legal to own a boat in Taiwan for around 18 months now. Most are not registered here ( although legal) as Taxation is cheaper if a boat is registered overseas but we can own them.

[quote=“Rocket”]There’s no civilian aircraft in Taiwan, just like there’s no leisure watercraft, it’s against the law.

You didn’t know that??[/quote]

Interesting… so the helipads on top of many high-rise buildings are for paramedic helicopters?

Don’t think so, man.

Sorry that information is incorrect. it has been legal to own a boat in Taiwan for around 18 months now. Most are not registered here ( although legal) as Taxation is cheaper if a boat is registered overseas but we can own them.[/quote]

A recent development then, I stand corrected.

Don’t think so, man.

Sorry that information is incorrect. it has been legal to own a boat in Taiwan for around 18 months now. Most are not registered here ( although legal) as Taxation is cheaper if a boat is registered overseas but we can own them.[/quote]

A recent development then, I stand corrected.[/quote]

It wouldn’t make sense, specially on a small island surrounded by even smaller islands. But then again, Taiwan logic… :loco:

Don’t think so, man.

It wouldn’t make sense, specially on a small island surrounded by even smaller islands. But then again, Taiwan logic… :loco:[/quote]

Yeah, why is TW so F…U… on some things. The big bike thing and the no pleasure craft/boats (until recently). Explains why I never saw a sailboat all the way down the east side of the island. I use to race sailboats (27’ and 30’) and sailing is a beautiful thing, you, the wind, and the water (no motors) a uniquely beautiful experience. What possible harm (other than a sizable amount to your own wallet) could a sailboat or even a power boat cause?

[quote=“Micahel”]Yeah, why is TW so F…U… on some things. The big bike thing and the no pleasure craft/boats (until recently). Explains why I never saw a sailboat all the way down the east side of the island. I use to race sailboats (27’ and 30’) and sailing is a beautiful thing, you, the wind, and the water (no motors) a uniquely beautiful experience. What possible harm (other than a sizable amount to your own wallet) could a sailboat or even a power boat cause?[/quote]It can cut into diesel subsidies, smuggling and contraband running. Taiwanese fishermen were busted for selling their subsidized diesel to Chinese fishing boats. If the fishing boat slavery stories are true, do you think they want rich people seeing it?

Indeed; You-tu-be is the Taiwanese news helicopter.

Don’t think so, man.

It wouldn’t make sense, specially on a small island surrounded by even smaller islands. But then again, Taiwan logic… :loco:[/quote]

Yeah, why is TW so F…U… on some things. The big bike thing and the no pleasure craft/boats (until recently). Explains why I never saw a sailboat all the way down the east side of the island. I use to race sailboats (27’ and 30’) and sailing is a beautiful thing, you, the wind, and the water (no motors) a uniquely beautiful experience. What possible harm (other than a sizable amount to your own wallet) could a sailboat or even a power boat cause?[/quote]

It’s all a throwback to the martial law days, they’ve been slow to change on some points. There’s also a lack of trust in how people manage themselves when they get freedoms

or just report what is happening on YouTube, as I often see on the local news here…

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
It’s all a throwback to the martial law days, they’ve been slow to change on some points. There’s also a lack of trust in how people manage themselves when they get freedoms[/quote]

Yeah, exactly, what he said. :thumbsup:
It wasn’t all that long ago that every bridge had a couple kids in uniform with acne and Armalites at each end.

And yeah, looking around on the drive in this AM, one shudders to envisage the sheer carnage that would ensue weren’t Joe Bag of Dou Gan restrained by, at least, gravity and/or friction.
:astonished:

there are certainly police helicopters. there is a lot of illegal activity in the mountains of Taiwan and it is actually a little surprising the game that is played out there. but they certainly own some decent equipment. Never mind they keep crashing it into stuff all the time. They even use remote operated vehicles, fun stuff.

I’m curious about those light craft flying crafts we see a lot here. Are they all illegal? The impression I got was they were legal but required registration of some kind?

Imagine everyone in Taiwan having a rowboat/kayak/canoe type contraption. I would hate to see the costs for rescue after 1 year of that. The waters here are not like calm lakes in other nations. I am not bad with various types of boats, and can swim very well but would still never try going out without a very experienced person. I’ve seen those whirlpools go beside the boat, no thanks!

Thankfully there aren’t.

Could you imagine what it would be like if Apple Daily had a helicopter?

[quote=“Biota”]
Imagine everyone in Taiwan having a rowboat/kayak/canoe type contraption. I would hate to see the costs for rescue after 1 year of that. The waters here are not like calm lakes in other nations. I am not bad with various types of boats, and can swim very well but would still never try going out without a very experienced person. I’ve seen those whirlpools go beside the boat, no thanks![/quote]

Yes things could quickly spiral out of control with these new found freedoms, now a person can actually own a rowboat (scary to think about it). Next thing they will want to actually swim in the ocean, wear bikinis, and buy designer sunglasses. TW could become the next Sodomy and Gomorrah.

As for the waters being dangerous, so are kitchen knifes without intelligent guidance. Fortunately, we have the over riding laws of Darwinian natural selection. Sometimes it is best to not interfere with nature.

If TW were to ever reach such a state of complete decadence, I’m sure it will be common to see the locals heading to the beach with the entire family on the scooter, boat in tow, likely without a trailer.