Newsweek's piece on Trump

I don’t know what to make of this.

I imagine it’s gonna trigger a lot of bias against Taiwanese in USA.

It’s Donald Trump in a Fox News interview. For better or for worse, literally every syllable of that conversation is carefully designed to, “spark fury and concern”. :man_shrugging: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

A snippet from Trump’s September interview on “Meet the Press with Kristen Welker” (from about 32:09 to about 32:47):

An excerpt from The Taiwan Relations Act:

https://www.ait.org.tw/taiwan-relations-act-public-law-96-8-22-u-s-c-3301-et-seq/

4 Likes

To Add:

Unless I miss it, I am surprised that no major Taiwanese news media caught this piece except the comment on Ukraine.

I did see it being discussed on a store-front display this weekend, but we were just walking by and I didn’t see which channel it was.

1 Like

And it’s been further edited by Newsweek. So yeah, sparking fury and concern by designs (plural).

3 Likes

The article seemed like a smear piece.

1 Like

Yes, and there will be plenty more to come. In fact, I suspect Trump will enjoy a steady diet of smear pieces even after he’s dead and buried.

I take his (possibly clumsily made) point to be that he will not rule “anything” out because ruling things out in the press could make China’s decision-making re:Taiwan more straightforward.

2 Likes

That is a perspective that didn’t cross my mind. I have simply interpreted this as not disclosing true intentions in order to keep the adversary guessing.

2 Likes