NHI Application and Dual Citizenship

Hoping to get some insights… I am an dual citizen that recently just that just got my NHI reinstated on a trip to Taiwan and was told it would take 6 months to process. However, I live and work in the States so I immediately had to apply for the suspension.

When do I have to go back to activate my NHI so that my enrollment doesn’t get cancelled again? Also when I go back do I have to use my Taiwan passport so they know I have entered or is it ok to use my US passport and just report to the NHI agency that I am back?

Thanks in advance.

FYI

FAQs on the participation rights of nationals traveling abroad, in response to the impact of the epidemic

2 Likes

If you live and work in the USA you won’t be entitled to NHI here even if you are a citizen. NHI is for those living and working in Taiwan. My son’s NHI was cancelled when he moved overseas for this reason.

1 Like

Interesting, I was told by the NHI dept that as long as I have a Taiwan ID card, I would automatically be added to the NHI program and the only thing I could do if I was going overseas was to apply for a suspension.

NHI is cancelled for those not living in Taiwan. Yes citizens who move back to live and work here will be required to have it. So you don’t live and work in Taiwan correct? People have NHI paid into by their employers unless they are dependents or unemployed.

So yes when you move back to Taiwan to live and work you can get NHI. Foreigners can get NHI. Using your US passport means you would enter as a non resident on visa free entry. Tourists like you are not entitled to have NHI as for this they need to have an Alien Resident Certificate. So you won’t have one of these either as you do not live in Taiwan.

So you need to move back to Taiwan to live to qualify for NHI again not just make a trip as a tourist. Once you have lived here for 6 months without leaving then you can qualify for NHI. Just making a trip back wont qualify for that.

So it’s not 6 months to process its 6 months of living in Taiwan on a continued basis.