NHI Coverage Question

My family and I just received our NHI cards. I’m a little confused as to how it works. Is it accurate to say that most preventative care (e.g., blood tests, mammograms, dental cleanings, etc.) is considered out of pocket expense? I contacted a couple of hospitals about doing a full body exam and they said NHI has no bearing on the total cost, and I’d have to pay the full cost myself. Thank you!

Dental cleaning + check is free every 6 month. Mammograms is free after certain age.
Full body check is not free. They expect jobs to pay for full body check every year or two. But not all the companies do it. There are a lot of packages that you can check for full body check.

2 Likes

Not exactly, but the focus of the TW medical system is to treat issues after they occur, preferably using a colorful cocktail of pills.

2 Likes

They are covered when there’s a need. For example you are on certain meds that require monitoring, you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, need follow-up on something or doctor suspects something such as thyroid problems etc…
I think over 60 there’s an NHI inclusive physical with blood test every few years.
Children also get an NHI physical with blood panel every few years at school.
You could just visit your neighborhood clinic and ask the doctor if there’s anything you all qualify for as new NHI members. Could be some kind of general blood panel to establish a baseline. Otherwise you could just pay yourself and it’d be a few hundred. Many clinics have prices and service for self pay blood tests also.

1 Like