NHI is great, but what are some of the more unknown perks?

The last time kidney cancer came up in this forum someone pointed to studies linking kidney cancer to Chinese medicine and genetic factors.

Edit: Here is a wiki link which specifically mentions Chinese medicine in Taiwan in connection with kidney and liver cancer.

2 Likes

Very very very very very.

This is my theory and seems to make the most sense.

I’m not sure the prostate exam is the “ happy ending” most would enjoy :wink: I wonder if there is a top- up to basic NHI available , for better facilities ?

Private insurance is available from multiple different insurers and you can negotiate almost any kind of policy. Better/most modern cancer treatment (this is the big one), better room, all meds included, unlimited hospital stay, fancier hip replacement, etc etc

I think nobody in my wife’s family relies on basic NHI only.

It’s on treated renal disease. How is the statistics if you include untreated cases?

So where is China in the statistics? They are huge in making fake Chinese meds.

Not if you don’t like ending up in 3-4 person room in a hospital!

There is one benefit if you can call it that.
If someone has a issue that is chronic, the doctor will write a letter to nhi telling them why, and then the registration fee is much lower going forward permanently.

So I thought I found a couple of these lovely little extras.

The hockey career is not doing my 57-year-old knees any favours. I have an in with TMU’s top knee guy, and, two weeks ago, he hooks me up with some knee juice, taps a little cyst bile from this unnatural protuberance I have growing out of said knee and sends me for xrays. Snap snap, back in his office, orders an MRI (which I book for the following Wednesday). My better half notices something on one of the walls offering free colon and oral cancer screenings, so we take advantage of that (these are the supposed* "extra perks). We grab the necessary accoutrements for the at home gathering of the stools, and head up to the dental wing. Two shakes of a lamb’s tail later, a resident is poking around my gob with a mirror, sees something she didn’t like, calls the top guy over, he explains he wants to biopsy a white spot they see. They fire up the fricken’ lasers and go to work, not only grabbing the sample they needed, but searing the entire spot from out my mouth.

We pay, using the automated cashiers, return the juice (weirdly, he always makes me refill the steroids he’s pumped into me) to the knee guy and back to the car in the B2.

Time Elapsed: 2 hours
Cost: 200NT
Parking Cost: 120NT

*supposed

Turns out, these “perks” are available to those of us over 55. Woot Woot! My first senior moment.

1 Like

Jesus, I would assume it would be much higher right?
Never though of that

Yikes!

How does it work if a person is super low income and needs some type of operation in Taiwan?

They they still preform the operation on the basic NHI, but your forced to share a recovery room?

Maybe your tongue was leaning too far to the left ?:rofl:

Not recommended! BAD! You won’t recover at all, whole families will be around you visiting, helpers will be there 24 h and give your room mates massages, they will snore and make any noise they like, they will have the lights on at night, share the bathroom/shower. So, take private hospital insurance, if possible.

1 Like

Fact is, any sort of universal healthcare isn’t going to provide the absolute best, it’s designed to provide adequate coverage to ensure that the population is healthy. But on the flip side if people are getting renal failure from traditional Chinese medicine then NHI should step in because that’s adding to their burdens.

I don’t know how other countries do it but people use private insurance if they want the absolute best. The difference is in the US even basic healthcare costs a lot of money and premium ones cost more than most can afford.

Just my feelings on the Chinese medicine comment but I don’t think the nhi funded TCM clinics are the big issue. It’s all the unlicensed stores that sell herbs direct to people and who act like they are trained tcms without actual training. The local TCM I see points out that all nhi accepting Chinese medicine doctors have an approved list of covered herbs they can use and they get randomly inspected and will lose their license if unapproved therapies are used.

An argument obviously could be made on their effectiveness or lack thereof. For me I feel it’s. Been useful but I realize many think it’s bull

It can cover massages actually. Some physical therapy covered by the NHI basically give you massages of all kind. I had some knee and ankle issues and I basically got a covered foot sauna in hot steam and a foot massage.

Does NHI cover those hair salons with the dim lights in Ximen who offers massage?

I need it because it’s very therapeutic.

On the subject of Chinese medicine, something needs to happen because a lot of Chinese medicine are in fact poison, and you really should only be using it at the direction of a doctor. Just eating ginseng because it might have “health benefits” is folly. They can be very harmful at the wrong dosage. Perhaps the gov. has to crack down on those unlicensed pharmacies, since kidney transplants and dialysis is costing NHI money too.

1 Like

It covers physical therapy. Some places basically give you massages as physical therapy is what I’m saying t.

Can you link some reading with regards to ginseng’s false health benefits? And dosing?