Nice (gift) bottle of Kinmen Gaoliang?

I’m looking for a nice bottle of Kinmen that comes in a box for a gift. Everywhere I’ve seen gaoliang from Kinmen, it has been a relatively cheap bottle with no box. Is there any good stuff out there?

Or is that the nature of the liquor (kind of cheap)? I typically stay away from clear liquors so I don’t know. But this friend does some brewing of these kind of liquors in Korea and I think he would enjoy the gaoliang.

I had one that looks like a bomb in a wooden case, like huge. They have one that looks like a boot with helmet on top.

1 Like

They have fancy bottles in boxes in Carrefour, also airport departures.

I’ll look again. I saw one variety in a box but wasn’t impressed. I can’t remember why. Maybe I need to try another branch.

This website also has a list of suppliers that stock gift style bottles of gaoliang

That’s very nice. Thank you!

This place is worth a look. I remember they have gift oriented items, fancy ceramic bottles and the like.

1 Like

Nother option for you. Go to 7-11 and ask for the moon festival catalogue. Its a red catalogue with pastries and stuff that you can pre order and then collect at the store. It includes a few of the fancier Kinmen Gaoliang bottles

I’ll check that out tomorrow. Thanks!

The distillery in Kinmen has a great many varieties of gift bottles to chose from if you want to make the trip :slight_smile: hey it’s a pretty cool place anyway imo

Would suggesting check the TTL (Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor) stores all over be too obvious or just wrong?

Gaoliang is nasty stuff in general. However, my neighbor had a bottle that had been aged 3 years, and it almost had some flavor. I’d look for something with an age statement.

I love it.

Thanks everyone for the info. Been busy as hell at the office with vacation time right around the corner. I’ll look into 7-11 first as that’s easiest.

It seems I’ve passed by one or two, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you where I saw the stores.

I agree. But my friend would probably like it. I don’t like most clear liquors.

1 Like

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Word to the wise, and your experience may be totally different, BUT…

The second last time I went back, I snagged a bottle of KL at Duty Free for the boys out on the farm (they love that shit).
I was flying direct to Vancouver with a ridiculously short stopover then an onward domestic flight.
Security tagged me for the bottle I was (obviously) carrying on, telling me they didn’t allow any carry on alcohol. And I would definitely miss my flight if I went back and checked it in at the main desk.
So the guy confiscated it.

I told him “I hope it gives you the scoots”

2 Likes

Can I offer the advice that for a 金門高粱 connoisseur, the first thing they will check is the age. If you buy a beautiful bottle of NEW wine, they will be disappointed since they will have to wait around 10 years for it to mature. More impressive than a box and fancy bottle is a WELL AGED bottle. These are easier to find if you’re on site at 金門, but can be found at some liquor stores.

This advice is for buying for connoisseurs only. Otherwise, you can do as I did and buy a 馬英九 and 蔡英文 set for my father. He only knows its special. He would never drink it. As for experts, I bought a bottle for my TW friend when I visited 金門. He was disappointed and brought out a 25 year old 高粱. So flowery and smooth.

Another story. First time I drank it, was at a 尾牙 party. Had no idea. Thought it was water and downed a glass in one slug. Damn near choked to death. Got real pissed that night.

2 Likes