Nice things in Taipei

No, I don’t like it. I love it. I have a sneaking suspicion that the soul of Taipei resides somewhere in the dark recesses of that building.

2 Likes

I think we disagree on this one. I like the Japanese houses next to it but this 11 storey building needs to go down. It’s wasting valuable airspace above it.

it’s also warping the very fabric of space time due to it’s immense mass… black hole style.

1 Like

Sigh. You uncultured foreigners just don’t understand mid-1970s Northern Taiwanese Brutalist architecture.

4 Likes

Soul? More like the evil spirit of old taipei
that is ONE ugly building

BRUTALIST? i like that :slight_smile:

It does have a bit of a mid-50s Stalinist vibe to it, I concur.

That building needs more than a sprinkling of salt. The lack of salt has probably been the cause of other similarly ugly buildings mushrooming around Taipei.

With a light dusting of Tito.

Taipei is a harsh mistress.

1 Like

Riverside paths are lovely.

Xiangshan view over 101.

The 228 peace park is nice

Another nice park is the Youth Park

Taipei in general is looking better and better and getting better and better. One thing I dont like is the new dome and the malls being built around it. Would be so much better as a park or a forrest or anything else.

8 Likes

Agreed. I go there regularly with my local mates for some rounds of chess and a few six-packs of Taiwan beer. Just a bit annoying that there are so many noisy young people around.

1 Like

Weren’t you the guy claiming in the other thread that any kind of housing built by developers is fine, just let the market decide?

Come on Marco, we expect you to be more consistent! : D

Guy

Different argument. This is a subjective preference of mine. I hate THIS building, but I don’t think it makes Taiwan any less of a developed country. There are plenty of examples of high density developments in other developed countries that offer poor design. But I, myself don’t like this building and want to tear it down because I, myself think it’s ugly, not culturally significant and feel that being so close to one of Taipei’s city centres, a waste of valuable airspace above.

That was the thread arguing that various subjective things make Taiwan a developing (or in their words, third world) country.

I think these 70s flats in Toronto are ugly as sin as well

In fact, the 70s seems to be, universally, an architectural dark ages worldwide.

You stated you believe developers should do whatever they like with residential housing. If you keep this position, be prepared for many many more monstrosities, even if you had your way and demolished this one. : D

Guy

I like the roadside gardens along parts of Renai road. And Ofcourse biking from Dajia park to Xizhi

Used to be whole communities of homeless Little People lived in there until the cops chased them out.

That’s not what I said.

I never said I believe developers should do whatever they like with residential housing.

The abundance of clean, free bathrooms everywhere.

1 Like

Especially this part when the fountain is turned on.

3 Likes

I like it, it’s kind of a nostalgia thing for me. I remember passing by it in taxis going over the bridge over the railway there, it always stood out as monumentally ugly.

2 Likes