Nightlife in Yilan?

I am in taiwan for vacation and after visiting taipei, i am now in my 2nd day out of 4 days in yilan. However, there seem to be nothing much to do here after the evening? Is there any bars or clubs that welcome foreigners? I can speak some chinese if that helps!

I am new to this forum and apologize if the tags are wrong. Also, I have created this thread as the last post about nightlife in yilan was back in 2011 that says nightlife is basically dead here.

1 Like

Hmmm. Perhaps check out the Luodong Night Market?

Sorry if this response is not helpful. :grimacing:

Guy

https://g.co/kgs/wPUhZ6x

Say hi to the lady boss.

2 Likes

Also, check out this thread:

2 Likes

Hotsprings, beaches, camping etc are quite nice at night in Yilan.

Everyone goes to Karaoke after dark. That’s the Taiwan equivalent of a bar/night club. Look for signs that say KTV.

They’re not meant to be visited alone though. If you want a venue where you can meet other people, you’re in the wrong country. There are only a small handful of bars and nightclubs.

1 Like

Did you do Kavalan whiskey tour during the day?
Free glass of it at the end.

I did the tour and didn’t know there was a free glass. Arrived late cause the bus timings are reflected wrongly on google maps and the kalavan gelato.

Wow it seems that all of the recommendations here are in luodong; guess i picked the wrong place to stay when i chose somewhere in yilan

Where in Yilan are you then? It’s pretty big, and public transport is poor. If you’re looking for something within reasonable walking/taxi distance to where you’re staying, you’ll need to be more specific.

Central Yilan City is a bit of a nightlife sleeper except for a few passable dispersed bars so just have to find one or two and make the best of it.

2 Likes

You’ll find that the bars in Taiwan aren’t necessarily always located in the most interesting towns. They’re only there because foreigners live there, and the foreigners tend to live in quiet towns.

Drifter’s in Wai’ao is the only place I know of in Yilan with significant foreign population at night, mostly just on weekends, but even then it can range from dead to busy depending on what’s going on.

1 Like

Luodong isn’t that nice. If bars, party style though, you want to go to such industry towns that seem greasy. They are ripe with drugs, prostitutes and that side of things. When we stay in Luodong, we bring a sleeping bag for the hotel bed :upside_down_face:

I stay close to yilan station

To be fair this describes most old school hotels in Taiwan before the industry began a long-overdue process of improvement around 8-10 years ago (bad hotels still remain but at least now they can be avoided!!!).

Guy

2 Likes

As a society, we do tend to be less itchy as time goes on!

1 Like

Those old-school hotels in Taiwan . . . Just thinking about them makes me want to book a ticket to Japan!

Guy

Kinda nostalgic though. I won’t say I like them. But I do enjoy reminiscing, so long as I don’t need to stay in them again…although I still often do. Nice thing with taking a truck is a mattress can be thrown in the back. It’s the business meeting trips that are terrible, need an iron, shower etc and the usual human grime persists.

When I became too old to sleep on my grandparents’ couch, I stopped coming to Taiwan to visit them exactly because of these shitty old-school hotels.

Extremely hard mattresses, paper bath towels, no shower curtains, and toilet paper that got clogged in the toilet.