No buses to Chiayi airport

I’m in Chiayi, to take a flight to Punghu. I figured I could take a bus from the train station, where my hotel was, to the airport. To my surprise there are no buses to the airport. The closest bus stop is at the Topic of Cancer monument, which is a 15 minute walk to the airport.

The taxi mafia must be strong in this area.

3 Likes

Welcome to rural Taiwan! (Or most of Taiwan outside of Taipei City around 15 years ago. I remember feeling this frustration too.)

I hope you enjoy your time in Penghu!

Guy

2 Likes

I going guess even with he taxi fare, lit less than flying out of Tainan (has bus), and Kaoshiung (bus, and rail service) from where you are? There seems to be one or two flights from Chiayi airport thus no bus, but to TPE airport there is a bus just more business I guess)

Chiayi has an airport?

2 Likes

Don’t be cheap. Take a taxi.

There are a number of former military airports in Taiwan—in Taichung, in Tainan, and in Chiayi—that have been converted for civilian use.

Guy

2 Likes

it appears you are correct.

If you’re early go next to the parking lot.

樵驛KTV
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YgE9QJ8dZ2VaqS1e9

Or here on the highway
Green Wave Café 格林威咖啡
No. 1015, Section 2, Zhongshan Road
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ptjvJNsYbcpSS5XPA

Took the words right out of my mouth! I never knew. Now that I do, not at all surprised there are no busses haha.

2 Likes

Heh heh, I made it a personal goal to get around Chiayi, from last night when I arrived to this afternoon when I flew out, without using a taxi or renting a scooter. All day today was local trains, buses, and walking. I’m even taking a bus right now from Penghu airport to downtown Magong, first time ever.

I’m saving my money for all the little islands I’ll be visiting in Penghu, which means lodging, scooter rentals, and boat rides between each island, etc. :moneybag:

4 Likes

It may not be your bucket list material. But do check out the outrageously cool ficus temple!

1 Like

There were lots of daily flights with multiple airlines at chiayi and other cities before the HSR.

There were so many domestic flights before HSR, could just show up at the airport and catch the next flight to or from Chaiyi, Tainan, Taichung…

1 Like

Jeeze, I never knew. Makes sense, every county seems to have an airport,.evenp pingtung. But just figured government and military used some of them.

Guess now given the convenience of the trains, and relative close proximaty from them, buses and taxis make airports in every county a bit useless. Probably tainan, ktown, taichung, taipei and taoyuan are good enough. Taiwan isnt THAT big hehe.