No charge for driving on a toll road?

My car doesn’t have an etag. I drove in a toll road late at night a few weeks ago. I went to 7-11 today to pay at the kiosk, but it said there are no outstanding charges.

Are toll roads free to drive on late at night?

Hi Flint, and welcome to Forumosa! I’ve no idea about late-night differences, but my wife (who also doesn’t have an e-Tag yet) says they will send a bill, all in Chinese, every once in awhile ( perhaps quarterly). But you can’t take that to a convenience store to pay it like other bills. You have to take it to an iBon machine at a 7-11, use a Chinese language interface, go into the eTag section, and get it to issue a payable bill. We didn’t finish the conversation but I think then you take that to the counter to pay it.

So if you’re not very fluent in Chinese, you definitely are better off applying for the eTag (and you’re probably better off even if you are fluent, because it’s a hassle if you don’t have one).

5 Likes

Hi Dragonbones, thank you for your reply.

I used an ATM-like machine at 7-11, with Google Translate to try to pay the toll charges. It said no charges could be found. I tried twice - entered my car numberplate and ARC’s last 4 digits…nada.

I’m just worried that I may get a fine if I take too long.

They will send a bill to the address that your car is registered to. Then you take that to the 7-11 and work the iBon machine to generate a bill. You can pay that at the counter. I assume you just need to wait. Also, I believe if you go over-due on this cost it will increment by 30 or 40 or something, no big deal.

4 Likes

They only issue the charges periodically; they’re not fed remotely into the “iBon” (what you called an ATM-like machine) daily. Just follow TaipeiGuy2000’s instructions below. I don’t know the fine increment or timing. There’s also such a thing for traffic violations so it might be good to learn how those work (notification process, how to pay, and late payment fines).

1 Like

Increment by a multiple of 40? :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

No , however each vehicle receives 20 kilometers daily allowance of free travel

To simulate the previous model, where a vehicle would not pass toll collection over short-distance travel, each vehicle receives 20 kilometers per diem of free travel and is billed NT$1.2 per kilometer thereafter. Buses and trailers are subject to heavy vehicle surcharges. The highway administration may alter fares (e.g. remove the per diem) during peak travel seasons to facilitate distribution of congestion to midnight hours.

六、車種及費率:
(一)小型車:包含小客車、小貨車、小客貨兩用車、代用小客車、
小型特種車及小型車附掛輕型拖車。
計程收費費率:每日行駛 20公里以內每公里0元,超過20公里
每公里1.2元,超過200公里每公里0.9元。

More info and sources
ETC Service Brochure
待繳費用查詢
Taiwan Highway Electronic Toll Collection System (ETC)
國道高速公路通行費徵收計畫

2 Likes

Toll fee probably not processed yet.

1 Like