No KMT cash for 228 victims

■ Politics
No KMT cash for 228 victims
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday acknowledged the party’s political responsibility for the 228 Incident, but disagreed that it should compensate victims. “Although the KMT was the then-ruling party, it was not directly involved in the event … The decision to send troops to suppress the riot was made by the government,” Ma said yesterday after attending an exhibition at the Taipei 228 Memorial Museum in his capacity as Taipei mayor. The exhibition features documents and photographs of riots taking place in southern Taiwan in 1947.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003294537

Well, although DPP is the ruling Party of Taiwan, it is not the government, so basically, the “economic slump” (although numbers say it differently) is because of bad government (and don’t forget that KMT is a big part of the government).
Anyone saying that the state of things in Taiwan is because of DPP should realise this.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]Well, although DPP is the ruling Party of Taiwan, it is not the government, so basically, the “economic slump” (although numbers say it differently) is because of bad government (and don’t forget that KMT is a big part of the government).
Anyone saying that the state of things in Taiwan is because of DPP should realise this.[/quote]

Gee, I didn’t realize Taiwan is a one-party fascist dictatorship as the ROC was circa 1948.

So when are the Japanese going to paying up for killing Taiwanese?

They already paid war reparations to the Taiwanese, just like they have to the Chinese and South Koreans and many other Asian nations.

Assuming that you didn’t realize this, what next? You’re going to find one example in the entirety of history and claim that the KMT should lower their standards and compare with the worst? Great logic.

With all that property that the KMT sold, not one dime goes to reparations for 228 or the White Terror? What a hypocrite considering your stance on the Nanjing Massacre.

When did the Japanese pay war reparations to the Taiwanese?
Do you have a date and the amount paid?

If memory serves me correctly, Japan barely recognized the ROC let alone paid war reparations to ROC when they defeated Japan in WWII.

well, they constructed a lot of stuff - development left by japanese in Taiwan is enough pay - applying the same rule of KMT.

And Stalin - it is an analogy. Anyway, anyone knows that DPP rules this country as in a minority - which means, basically, they are only the face, as they can’t even pass a single thing on the Legislative Yuan. And most of the big stuff has to go there. So basically, the government is not DPP but KMT also, although they say they are the opposition, they have enough power to block any big rule. It is like the famous Veto on the UN Secuirty Council - all the world may be for something, but if one guy there decides no, then it is no.

Isn’t a high standard of living, a developed economy, fantastic national health care and democracy enough compensation?

high standard of living? Fantastic National Health Care?

Are we talking about Taiwan?

If that’s the case then the KMT has already repaid Taiwan with interest. :laughing:

Where do people get the silly idea the Japanese paided the Taiwanese anything for war damages?

The truth is - how much the KMT people also put in their pockets for all the development they created? And how much of this development was due to the USD that were coming in? It is easy to develop a country when you got a lot of funds -> basic Simcity rule.
In many aspects, Taiwan is still underdeveloped - the quality of public transportation in Taipei city is really subpar to other developped countries in the world.
Guess we have to start checking some Swiis accounts to know that, don’t we?

But eventually US aid stopped. And to be frank ROC paid USA quite a bit of money during WWII, we even caught the USA overbilling us at the time and forced them to build a University for ROC on the Mainland.

Much of the initial capital to develop ROC, Taiwan was taken from Mainland.

It is not like the pan-Greens aren’t making money in office now. CSB office is well known for strong arming larger business on Taiwan, not to mention stock scandals around his wife…and the big scandal involving the MRT in south.

But of course the KMT still has a kagillion dollars and can make anything happen on Taiwan. :laughing:

How does wrong behavior by the Japanese excuse wrong behavior by the KMT in a completely unrelated event? Ac_dropout, what are you saying? The KMT shouldn’t pay reparations for 228 until the Japanese pay reparations for occupying Taiwan? What does 228 have to do with the Japanese anyway? I think you were just tossing a smokebomb into the room because you didnt like the topic!

All these digressions and no one’s addressing the original point.

Ma’s words seem very weasely here…trying to distinguish between the “ruling party” and the government …but he may have a point. A reparations program should be an orderly process not finger-pointing at anybody connected to any institution around at the time…
BTW, I thought a KMT commission in the 1990s sort of opened these floodgates by acknowledging many of the allegations about 228? Was there no talk about reparations at the time?

Quite a bit actually, there were factions of rioters that were fighting on behalf of Japan during 228. And some were fighting for the CCP. And some were just fighting for themselves.

For 228 or White Terror? I think the pan-Greens are just using this as an excuse to put the opposition on defense.

[color=indigo]Posts relating to a socio-economic comparison (taxes, public services, etc.) of Taiwan and other countries have been split to this thread:[/color]

[url]Tawian: A socio-economic comparison with other countries

Sincerely,
TheGingerMan
TP Forum Mod.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]When did the Japanese pay war reparations to the Taiwanese?
Do you have a date and the amount paid?

If memory serves me correctly, Japan barely recognized the ROC let alone paid war reparations to ROC when they defeated Japan in WWII.[/quote]

58 billion yen.
This was because Japan was still paying “war reparations” to the “Chinese” or the ROC before it shifted recognition to the PRC, in which it actually upped the “war reparations” upon request from the CCP, resulting in 25% of China’s entire infrastructure to be paid for by the Japanese from the mid to last 1990’s.
jiyuu-shikan.org/e/faq/faq1.html
(Note: Yes I know the source also believes that Nanjing Massacre’s real deaths were around the common Japanese view of 100,000 as opposed to the general Chinese view of 300,000 but that doesn’t change monetary amounts).

All I can say is, if 228 victims gets reparations, then I want a cut of the pie too. Why the heck not? The ROC/KMT robbed mainland China of all her gold reserves (not to mention antiques) when it fled to Taiwan… and don’t get me started about the number of innocent mainland Chinese killed illegally by ROC forces. As the descendent of former ROC citizens who were deprived of their wealth this way (and I’m still trying to figure out why I’m not considered a ROC citizen), I deserve reparations.

Add in 6 decades of interest, and I figure a few trillion NT should do the trick. I do take plastic.