No medical services if unvaccinated? (SOLVED: NOT TRUE)

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4416674

“Also starting on Friday, Chen said that hospital inpatients, accompanying patients, visitors, and residents in long-term care facilities must provide proof of vaccination with at least two doses of a COVID vaccine…”

So what happens to a person who is unvaccinated and needs to stay overnight for emergency situations?

I called the cdc 1922 to confirm. The guy just kept saying you need to be fully vaxxed to enter hospitals.

Update: My wife called the CDC again to clarify. They will not deny treatment to the unvaccinated. (please see my post below for more)

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re SOL if you’re unvaccinated. That’ll certainly increase the rate of double vaxxed to 99% with speed!

Edit: it makes sense. Hospitals will be liable if they have people who come in with a negative COVID test who got in a scooter accident but then catch COVID in the hospital and die. It’s kind of the only way for them to cover their asses — at least if you catch COVID you’ll be less likely to die

hmmm, what was that he said about being humane?

:thinking:

and what about children?

3 Likes

This must be a translation mistake. No country in the world has refused to treat unvaccinated people. I don’t think they are gonna leave grandpa dying on the sidewalk.

6 Likes

I agree with this. There must be something we’re missing.

1 Like

Frankly, it sounds to me as if the dentist-in-chief thought this would be a good way to pressure people into getting vaxed, but didn’t spend more than 30 seconds considering all the implications.

Doctors have a professional obligation to treat the sick regardless of their “vaccination status”. I’m pretty sure the CECC can’t tell them not to.

3 Likes

My wife, who’s fluent in Chinese, just called the CDC again to clarify. They said this only applies to inpatients in hospitals at Taipei, New Taipei City, Keelung, or Taoyuan counties.

The unvaccinated will not be denied emergency treatment and are still allowed to see the doctor. They just won’t be allowed to be long term inpatients. That’s what my wife got out of the phone call.

8 Likes

I asked a couple Taiwanese. They say it is incorrect. It’s supposed to be talking about visitors of patients and people accompanying family and friends to the hospital.

AFAIK

But they could be wrong too.

8 Likes

Wasn’t there something recently in Singapore? They want the unclean to pay, I seem to recall.

I heard they wanted them to pay for their covid treatment if they needed it. Don’t know if that actually happened. Haven’t heard anything about any country refusing to treat someone if unvaccinated.

That is what I think.

But what if you went in for emergency treatment and had to stay in long term?

Take the jab or we are rolling you out. Can’t see it.

I think maybe they are talking about the old people hospitals where they basically live there.

They’ll probably roll you out to another hospital outside of the 4 counties listed. But honestly, I really don’t know.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I think we can safely say there was a misunderstanding.

If you get vaccinated in Taiwan, I assume your NHI card shows that right? No need to carry around other proof?

And in the Taiwan"News" Who would have thought it.

I suppose this doesn’t (yet) apply to someone who is accompanying grandma to her doctor’s appointment in a hospital yet, does it?

That’s what I’ve been wondering as well. There is some information that that is shared on the network (it’s not actually stored on the card) and can be accessed between hospitals, and some that isn’t.

My NHI card has three small stickers, one from each of the vaccinations, although I don’t know how much legal validity those have. And yes, the information is definitely linked in computer systems - when applying for the vaccine passport the other day, I needed to type in the numbers on my NHI card.

Since it’s apparently the CDC who are misunderstanding things, I’m not so sure at this point. I’ll wait for them to actually think this through and make a public announcement about what they mean by this.

I haven’t seen anywhere such rules for hospital patients. TaiwanNews got it wrong here.

4 Likes

I think this is settled, locking this.

2 Likes