No place like Taiwan for offshore wind power?

Thanks

So the Dutch and Danish are the major investors. Among the smallest nations in Europe, too. I also saw some numbers about the numbers of immigrants here, around 200-something Danes, 400-something Dutch. Less than 1000 people representing the major investment sources. Average 3 per household (?). So 300 families connected perhaps?
Yes, indeed insane proportionally.

2 Likes

What does shipbuilding have to do with windmills? Just curious.

Am i on crazy pills or is that not at all how investments overseas work?

1 Like

It is off shore wind power.

Think about it.

You need ships to build and maintain the windmills. Taiwan can support the whole process making it cheaper.

1 Like

If this is a legit question, then check this complete guide from The Crown Estate UK

Steel needed for construction of transition piece and tower (although right now still manufactured outside TW).
Shipbuilding capability needed for making CTV, SATV, SOV and Jack-up vessels. (although now still manufactured outside TW).

1 Like

It would be quite unusual.
Vast majority of countries are surely dominated by US, Japan, Korea, China ,German , France foreign investment .
Although Holland and Denmark have some significant industries and companies as noted.
Taiwan has very little foreign investment although it doesn’t hold back it’s economy (but does hold back wages ).

Compare to IT industries which are powered by people. They import thousands of foreign workers per multinational foreign investment . Totally different dynamic. Makes Taiwan a bit boring IMHO.

2 Likes

Weird stats

I imagine most of that is either in China or stashing money in the Cayman Islands.

Other than Foxconn, I don’t know of any company with investments the world over.

You have the countries that invest and the countries that sell services and goods (like dredgers, turbine manufacturers, blade manufacturers)

Pilons (towers), turbine cases.

1 Like

Let’s say I am an insider in renewable energy industry.

I know this an old thread but what about geothermal energy? See Green Island Geothermal Power experimental Project.

Is are potential for harnessing geothermal energy in Taiwan, possible areas include Huadong Valley, Mount Lu, Tatun Volcano Group and Yilan Plain?

Yes and there are companies doing this already.
But a) energy potential is limited , it’s more micro and local energy production at present
b) the hit springs themselves are a very valuable resource already
C) national park areas should be protected

There’s probably a way to do mass harvestng of geothermal energy but it’s going to be (very) expensive. Like sinking deep pillars or tubes into the earth to get energy from the temperature difference or waking the homes in Winter . It’s not as useful here in Taiwan as in other countries that are very cold like Iceland maybe. Unless that heat could be conveyed to ‘coldth’ for the Summer.

2 Likes

You don’t need a surface hot spring to be present to be an effective site for geothermal power. Usually geothermal sites would drill much deeper into the surface. If they build a geothermal power plant with the binary cycle system, it doesn’t even need to get all that hot to efficiently produce power.

The Geysers plant in California is capable of generating 1,590 MW, with an annual output of 6,516 GWh. As a source of carbon energy, geothermal power is almost as good as a nuclear power plant.

That’s pretty much what I said. But very expensive.
The easiest place are obviously the hot spring type areas but they are exploited already for the hot spring industry .
And Taiwan has tonnes of earthquakes and typhoons I don’t know how resistant they are to those.

That geysers plant is very interesting. Powered partly by shit.

By 1999 the steam to power extraction had begun to deplete the Geysers steam field and production began to drop.[7] However, since October 16, 1997, the Geysers steam field has been recharged by injection of treated sewage effluent, producing approximately 77 megawatts of capacity in 2004.[20] The effluent is piped up to 50 miles (80 km) from its source at the Lake County Sanitation waste water treatment plants and added to the Geysers steam field via geothermal injection.[20] In 2003, the City of Santa Rosa and Calpine Corporation partnered on constructing a 42-mile pipeline that became known at the Santa Rosa Geysers Recharge Project (SRGRP). Since 2003, SRGRP has delivered approximately 11 million gallons per day of tertiary treated wastewater to replenish The Geysers’ geothermal reservoir. In 2004, 85% of the effluent produced by four waste-water treatment plants serving 10 Lake County communities was diverted to the Geysers steam field.[20] Injecting treated water into the Geysers field increases the amount of power that can be generated.[20]

I don’t think shit powered hoy spring water will be a goer locally.

I’m not saying Taiwan shouldn’t put w big effort into this low/no carbon alternative, it should, just doubt they ever will cos of cost. Wind power is much easier to expand quickly.

I drive by one a few times this year, anyon know what it is? Looks touristy so not sure if its a plant or more like a museum. At the old big Hong Ye Hotspring place that got destroyed on the river. Taitung county. Its right on the hotspring area.

Taiwan has one geothermal plant. I bet it was built as a test then quickly abandoned because it was not cost effective to do at all.

Nuclear would be great if there wasn’t serious political problems to overcome.

Wind and solar is great if you want to live intermittently, or find some way to store extra energy. Maybe offer massive subsidy or even free solar panel installation on existing rooftop. It would not only produce energy but part of that energy being used to heat up the building during the daytime could be used for running AC.

1 Like

The first wind turbine jacket foundation has been installed at the Greater Changhua 1 and 2a offshore wind farms in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Anyone here know about temporary housing for wind contractors in Taichung?
I’m looking for a place for 6 - ideally a serviced apartment - from mid November until end of June 2022. Any suggestions of places or agents welcome

1 Like

Not at all. We have a brand new state of the art 3.15kWh binary cycle system that just became fully operational at Tshing-tsuí, replacing the defunct old testing facilities from the 80s.