No place like Taiwan for offshore wind power?

I’d say put a nuclear reactor on the Taichung smokestack and turn it into a nuclear plant, but that’s just pipe dream. Nobody wants to touch nuclear with a 10 foot pole.

That Taichung smokestack released far more radioactivity than Chernobyl while it’s in operation. What you don’t think coal dust is radioactive?

Opponents of fuel (coal, gas, oil) powered power plant will complain against the pollution caused.
Opponents of nuclear power plant will complain about the nuclear waste.
Opponents of hydroelectric power plant will complain about the effect on water ecosystem.
Opponents of solar power plant will complain about the side effect of PV panel manufacturing.
Opponents of wind power plant will complain about the dizzying noise, the annoying shade effect, the fact that it kills 2 birds per year and the cost of fiberglass blade recycle.

At the same time, the complainers cranking their AC to sub 20 on summer months.

Doing a half assed research, I conclude that wind power is the most dangerous of them all, with 4 complains compare to the other that has only 1 complain each.

1 Like

What the hell is “wave energy”?

The electricity created by wave movement.

Wind power utilize wind.
Hydroelectric utilize water flow.
Wave converter utilize ocean wave. Even for renewable, this is a bit out of mainstream.

3 Likes

Dual use solar power is doing wonders for berry growers in the Netherlands and other European countries. The panels cuts down sun light and shields the berries from strong winds.

2 Likes

You need to make sure the panel surface that facing sun doesn’t covered by the shrubberies or debris though.
When covered, there will be close to zero electricity generated.
One popular way in Japan, to use farm animals like goats for clearing the shrubs.

They better use underwater currents power.

But then you don’t have berries. No shrubs, no berries.

That’s a simple landscaping job.

They could put them in the arctic and have them maintained by squids?

In taiwan they just put them on the ground in food security lands and later let people compain why solar is shit and why food might be a future problem LOL!

If farming is the narrative about solar…2 words: fungi and fresh water aquaculture. There are FAR better installations than agriculture for farming, but its not bit pointless because the nareatives seem to be the extremes of either yes or no. When solar should just be one of many inputs to reduce coal, nuclear and other things we are slowly walking away from.

That is actually downside for land reserved for electricity generation of any kind. The land will unusable for the most part. Renewable installations in central South Taiwan sometimes done in waste land, like floodplains.

1 Like

I’m not sure about 8%. Can you send me a link?

The months ahead I expect to be really rough on Taiwan. The competition for fossil fuels is probably going to mean reduced imports of energy at a much higher cost. If there is a crunch because of so much energy being sent to Europe we could be facing brownouts here in Taiwan.

It’s in the video.

Link please

1 Like

Here is a recent video I watched. It says that currently Taiwan imports 98% of its energy needs. Most of these needs are satisfied with fossil fuels.

The video is in this thread I started a number of weeks ago. Seems to be huge challenges in the way of leaving fossil fuels behind.

I’ll follow the link you provided. Thanks

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/taiwans-energy-security-dependency/219533

Not at all derived from mantou counting then?

In that case I am at a loss to account for the mantou counting reference.

Must be a multimantou cultural thing.

https://www.taipower.com.tw/d006/loadGraph/loadGraph/genshx_.html

Green energy is providing 22% of the power around 1PM

2 Likes

Today was a great day for solar it seems