No Satire, and murder is not ok

Score one for reason.
:bravo:

[quote=“BBC”]
Cartoons protester found guilty

A British Muslim has been found guilty of soliciting murder during a London rally against cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad.

Umran Javed was also convicted of using words likely to stir up racial hatred at the February 2006 protest by the jury at the Old Bailey.

Javed, 27, of Birmingham, had said: “Bomb, bomb Denmark, bomb, bomb USA.”

Javed had claimed his chants against the two countries were “just slogans” and that he “regrets” saying them.

Remanding him in custody, Judge Brian Barker said he would not pass sentence until several other trials relating to the protest had concluded - expected to be in April.

The maximum penalty for soliciting murder is life in prison. [/quote]

Excellent. Reason is the starting the year off well.

Patchy success. Bets on who will be in the clink longer, this fool who chanted “Bomb”, or the Indonesian bastards who actually set them off?

Give him what he was calling for. Death

Give him what he was calling for. Death[/quote]

Life in prison or DEATH for attending and participating in a POLITCAL RALLY!?!?!

I’d be more afraid that he was saying this kind of crap in PRIVATE.

I used to attend Peace rallies in college, when the students were protesting the first Gulf War. I wanted to kill some of them for being so stupid; so who should go to jail in that case?

Yeah, life in prison? Not the most reasonable sentence.
So far, stupidity isn’t a crime though. whew
Incitement of violence and hate on the other hand… :idunno:

How does one incite hate?

Wouldn’t inciting stupidity be far worse a crime?

Oh man, the prisons would be bursting. And the internet shut down.

I don’t know, do you really have a case for inciting violence if nobody actually does anything based on it? If so is there anyone out there that hasn’t incited violence at some point?

Special dispensation for those seeding torrents though. :smiley:

Not the COMFY CHAIR!!!

[quote]Cartoons protester found guilty

A British Muslim has been found guilty of soliciting murder during a London rally against cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad.

Umran Javed was also convicted of using words likely to stir up racial hatred at the February 2006 protest by the jury at the Old Bailey.

Javed, 27, of Birmingham, had said: “Bomb, bomb Denmark, bomb, bomb USA.”
Javed had claimed his chants against the two countries were “just slogans” and that he “regrets” saying them.

Remanding him in custody, Judge Brian Barker said he would not pass sentence until several other trials relating to the protest had concluded - expected to be in April.

The maximum penalty for soliciting murder is life in prison. [/quote]

Did you not catch that JD? Off to the gallows with him. :smiling_imp:

Yeah yeah, I know, no more gallows in the UK. But “off to life in prison” just doesn’t have the same dramatic effect.

Sorry, I don’t buy it GBH.

Someone made a movie last year about assassinating GWBush. That to me is much closer to the “line” of abusing free speach than some rattleheaded yahoo inciting his testosterone-laden brethren to get wood in public.

Really, why? It may be more offensive, but surely not dangerous.
An abuse of free speech, but surely subject to different sanctions (boycott/ shunning vs. prison/ fine/ whatever).

Would the Silent Treatment be enforceable?

If no one went to the movie, or gave it mention in reviews, that might be effective.

As long as he’s joined on the gallows by every righty wearing a “Nuke’em Till They Glo” T-shirt.

I think under the standards applied in this case half of IP wpould be up there with him.

Sorry, I don’t buy it GBH.

Someone made a movie last year about assassinating GWBush. That to me is much closer to the “line” of abusing free speach than some rattleheaded yahoo inciting his testosterone-laden brethren to get wood in public.[/quote]

Hmm…maybe you’re right. I think I’d rather err on the side of free speech on this one.