No street food in Ximending?

We went to ximending around 6pm and we were surprised to see that there are just a few food stalls left!!! Are they illegal or what??

Is that where people usually go for street food? I usually go to a night market. I thought Ximending was mostly shops and gay bars.

In Taipei, particularly in areas like Ximending, there have been night market-style food stalls that operate in a somewhat informal or unlicensed manner, leading to occasional conflicts with local regulations. These food stalls might indeed be considered illegal because they often lack proper permits or licenses to operate. The authorities sometimes issue fines or warnings to these vendors for not adhering to regulations or for operating in unauthorized spaces.

The article reports a rising issue of illegal food stalls in Taipei’s Ximending area, which attracts over 2 million tourists annually. As of August that year, there were 1,644 cases of illegal stalls, exceeding the previous year’s numbers. Vendors often evade police patrols, hiding in nearby alleys to avoid fines. They are willing to risk a NT$1,200 fine for the opportunity to serve the tourist crowd. Despite police efforts, the vendors continue to operate, making the most of the bustling area’s economic potential.

There are so many food options in Ximending , some are in the following link

This is shocking to me coz most of the " food reviews" from travel vloggers do say that ximending is one of those that got lots of foodstalls sad to say we had to go home after it coz of the trauma that there was a police and the stalls had to scurry off and we havent even tried the food yet lol

Sometimes, you can find numerous food stalls in Ximending, especially on weekends, but that would be my last choice for dining in that area.

Instead, I recommend visiting the nearby Ningxia Night Market, known for its legally operating food stalls, or exploring Dadaocheng Pier Plaza for more western style options and the opportunity to enjoy a scenic sunset by the riverside.

5 Likes

Thanksss wil check it out

I almost got run over by those street vendors because they were running from cops. Not going to give them my money if they’re going to do that.

There’s a bunch of street vendors in Ximen last time I was there unless they have completely upped their enforcement. There was this vietnamese lady with some really good french sandwich.

There’s street vendors everywhere in any touristy places in Taipei. Lots in Danshui too.

1 Like

FYI, you might well annoy a decent proportion of Vietnamese people by referring to banh mi as “some French sandwich”. :sweat_smile:

I doubt it was a targeted assassination attempt. Unless it was the Vietnamese lady insulted by you asking for a French sandwich.

Yes, the police regularly go through there and clear out the street riff raff now. been.like that for years. I too have a hard time figuring.out the logic with the police, but they do sweep the area. it used to be after 10 or.11,but more recently tey seem.to have more random sweeps. walking out of the ultra shopping blocks, there are still loads of street vendors. so just walk outside the obvious shopping streets. lots of street and psuedo street food around still.

watch your feet, the past few years more and more feces, urine and vomit abound :frowning: much better areas to eat if a 10 min bike ride is acceptable.

I think we all know 法國麵包 is the Chinese translation of bánh mì. TL sometimes (perhaps OFTEN) annoys us, but, in this case, the reason may be based in a poor translation that has persisted for many years.

To add insult to injury, I usually use TaiGi (tsà lūn-piánn) to order 炸春捲 (Chà giò), which is my fat-assed favorite :yum:. It’s also much easier to pronounce in 臺語 personally.

3 Likes

They’re called “banh mi” which directly translates to 餅麵.

They sometimes call them 越式法國麵包 in Taiwan, which translates to “Vietnamese baguette”. Not “French sandwich”.

We wanted to try scallion pancakes but because of a random police sweep we had to just go home and find another decent one “mo’s burgers” in particular

Omg thank you for this i’ll keep on the lookout

Ximending has deteriated. There is now over regulation and the major brand stores are what you find there.
I wish the authorities would pay as much attention to residential areas that are not markets , like moving illegally parked scooters off sidewalks , and leave places like Ximen Ding alone to bring back that bustle and hustle of the traditional Taiwanese night markets.
Wenhua might be more your style it’s been regulated but not like to the extent of Ximending and is close by.

2 Likes

Ximending is, IMHO, the wrong place for this kind of thing.

As others have suggested, head over to Ningxia Night Market or other better food districts to eat.

Guy

I thought Ximending was a shopping district with major brand stores. I would never have thought to get street food there.

The nearest street food you’ll find near Ximending is in Snake Alley. I guess the proper name now is Huaxi Street Night Market. Don’t miss Wang’s Broth, one of the best Lu Rou Fan shops you’ll find in Taipei.

Perhaos one of the bigger shopping districts of recent history. people had to eat. it was always surrounded with loads of food.

now, we get to see drug addicts with failing organs relieving their bowels and/or upper digestive tracts all over the sidewalks. it is a shit hole, to be sure! at least by Taiwanese standards. dont let the actual physical presence of newish sidewalks fool you.

Where is this “Perhaos” place? :thinking:

Guy

perhaps. it’s still a main draw for Taiwan and the superficial crowds.