Nobody in Taiwan cares that the US Postal Services still uses "Taiwan, Province of China"?

Call me Judy and spank me, but I was wondering why nobody in Taiwan
seems to care that the United States Postal Service still referst to Taiwan
as “Taiwan, Province of China” on its website This is also true at the
computers used inside retail post offices.

My buddy sent me an express mail package from Taiwan. It was mailed
at a post office in Taiwan on May 10.

When I entered the tracking number on the US Postal Service webiste,
it showed up as:

Processed Through Sort Facility May 10, 2013, 03:22 pm TAIPEI INT AMF, TAIWAN PROVINCE OF CHINA

Acceptance May 10, 2013, 09:57 am TAIWAN PROVINCE OF CHINA

MOst of us are happy when the package actually gets sent to Taiwan instead of Thailand !

1 Like

you mean they’re not the same country!!!??? :roflmao:

You may be interested in this petition!

change.org/petitions/iso-cen … -to-taiwan

It is the ROC, so I am not offended in the least :laughing:

Technically, the ROC doesn’t have a province called Taiwan anymore… :slight_smile:

PRC still has a province called Taiwan… :slight_smile:

Technically, the ROC doesn’t have a province called Taiwan anymore… :slight_smile:

PRC still has a province called Taiwan… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Technically you are right :laughing:

It’s funny that when I tell people back home that I was in Taiwan, they all say Thailand? So I end up saying its an island beside China, otherwise they are clueless usually.

1 Like

I think “Taiwan, Province of China” is an ISO thing, which is a UN body. China has been using its leverage in the UN to try and brainwash everybody in the world to believe that Taiwan is part of China.

PRC still has a province called Taiwan… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Technically you are right :laughing:

It’s funny that when I tell people back home that I was in Taiwan, they all say Thailand? So I end up saying its an island beside China, otherwise they are clueless usually.[/quote]

Incorrect. There is still a Taiwan Province, but it’s getting smaller every year. These days it only includes 40% of the population we usually refer to when we say “Taiwanese people” because it excludes the five major cities as well as Matsu and Kinmen – and it will get even smaller at the end of the year when Taoyuan becomes an ROC direct-controlled municipality, too. The current ‘chairman’ (an awkward term, 省主席) is Lin Jung-tzer (an awkward spelling for 林政則), who was appointed in 2010. I bet he spends most of his time at the office reading, playing golf, or otherwise trying to pretend there is a purpose to his position.

1 Like

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]You may be interested in this petition!

change.org/petitions/iso-cen … -to-taiwan[/quote]

Thanks, just signed.

There are other things you can do to help. A lot of companies and organizations just take this ISO list when they build their websites. I’ve had success emailing them and asking them to change Taiwan to Taiwan, saying I was really confused. No need to get into a political rant – money talks.

I bought something on Ebay from a China-based seller, and I just noticed after shipping that they modified my English address to say “Taiwan, Province to China”.

Will this cause any problems at customs or with the TW post office?

No.

1 Like

OK, thanks for confirming.

Wanted to check because sales of Huawei phones were banned in Taiwan due to the OS “region” setting saying “Taiwan, China” . So clearly the TW government finds this phrase problematic.

You’d think that, if anything, they would ban Huawei phones for national security concerns. Not naming issues.

3 Likes