Noise, noise, noise

In the “Inconsiderate…” thread noise was mentioned.

While in that thread a week or go I thought, well, noise from construction work in my buildings has been a constant for me over the years, but luckily, it has been a while since the last “redecoration” next door. Guess what…

Two guys are hammering on the other side of the wall as I type this. They never seem quite satisfied with their premises do they? Always something that needs to be torn out and replaced.

Next up: Another pipe replacement in the alley in front of my house. Has been done countless times, sometimes without much of a break in between.

:rage:

1 Like

In summer, wouldn’t you keep the windows closed and use AC? I’d be much more likely to open windows in winter, but I always keep all windows closed and run dehumidifiers. The soundproofing in my building must be good because I don’t even hear low flying jets and I’ve never heard a neighbor unless I was on the patio. I did hear a water pump when it went bad, but it was nothing a little ambient noise couldn’t cover and it was fixed quickly. My interior doors suck at soundproofing though.

Noise cancelling headphones. I wear them approximately…whenever I’m at home, even if I’m not listening to anything.

3 Likes

Does it work against modified scooter noise?

Not as well as one wishes. The best defense against modified scooters is a slingshot + excellent aim, since the police do nothing…

Modified exhaust scooters with subwoofer loudspeakers…

Hell on wheels

1 Like

I don’t think they ride scooters :motor_scooter:

Omg the noise. Right now I get to hear, again, the noise from the street below. I live near a highway so I constantly hear noise. I hear a, probably, expensive car now, I hear shitty vehicles as well with modified mufflers, fire trucks (fire station down the road) police (police station down the road), ambulances (hospital down the road)… Fighter jets (air force base down the road).

Other noises include loud neighbors. Often have construction, the next door neighbor opens and closes doors loudly and listens to old music loudly, and the worst is a neighbor upstairs DRUMS. They drum in the early morning, they drum late at night. I’ve heard drumming at 1:00 am and another time at 8:00 am. But really I get to hear them drum at least once a day for up to an hour each time.

I teach in a cram school, so of course I get to hear noise the whole time I’m working as well.

I’m in noise city ya’ll.

1 Like

Time to invest in some real sound panels. Studio quality. Put them on the walls. Put them on the ceiling. Put them in the hallway…

Public Peace

Not making noise in public is something everyone should observe, keep quiet at night, keep the volume down so as not to disturb those who are resting.

Keep quiet at night

Those who make noise or commotion in the middle of the night and disturb public peace shall be fined up to NT$6,000

Source

When is “the middle of the night”?

This is such a good idea. If you hear one of them blasting MMMBop by Hanson, it’s likely me.

1 Like

hehe if you feel a sledgie to the side of your skull as you go past it likely me :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder if there actually is a 中文版 , the source would indicate it’s aimed at those pesky “migrant workers”.

1 Like

Yes, that official Line account is for blue collar workers from Philippines. They also have one for Vietnam and Thailand. But those are not in English.

I’ve officially been here too long. I find the noise comforting. It freaks me out when I go back to the States and there’s all this silence everywhere. I feel like I’m about to be murdered.

I dislike the practice of blocking off major roads with funeral tents though. That gets dangerous.

Spending time in two different apartments this week, not close to each other, and in both I can hear groups of people in close-by apartments shouting frequently and extatically playing games.

:confounded:

2 Likes

They didn’t invite you over ?

Two words twice…

Sonos multi-room
Ambient noise

Cures all.

Mahjong and Chinese new year, get with the program and learn to play the game.