Non Covid related emergencies during quarantine

Hello everyone,
We are arriving in Taiwan in 2 weeks and will spend 2 was in quarantine.
I just had to bring my wife to ER here in the US for anaphylactic reaction due to allergies.
And we are now worried about our quarantine time in Taiwan
This brings to the question . What happens during the quarantine days , if my wife gets anaphylaxis. Can she be taken to ER? We are with 2 young kids 3 and 5 and we are worried how this is going to be.

After a wait of 4 months we finally got the approval to come to Taiwan and now this happens. I’m not sure what to do. This is going to be our first time jn taiwan and we don’t speak Chinese.
Looking forward to some advice here
Thanks in advance.

Of course she can be taken to the ER. I’m in quarantine right now and a note on the instruction sheet says

If you need to go to the hospital during your quarantine period, you must notify the front desk. Do not step out of your room without agreement.

What that means for you and your children I don’t know, but I assume you would need to stay with them at the quarantine location. If you are needed at the hospital I’m sure there would be provisions for such emergencies, especially if you let them know the possible anaphylaxis situation ahead of time.

So far this process has been very English friendly. If you’re staying in Taipei I’d imagine it will be even moreso.

2 Likes

See if your wife can get a prescription for an Epi Pen (Epinephrine injector) if you are concerned that she might have a recurring problem with anaphylaxis. My mother has one with her at all times, and a spare in the car.
Traveling internationally with an Epi Pen-contact the airline to query if you need to fill out any forms for bringing it on the plane. Make sure the prescription label is on the injector; and you might need to show proof of medical necessity, so have a letter from the doctor saying that the Epi Pen needs to be with her on the flight.

2 Likes

Also, in my experience of quarantine, there was always someone who spoke English; and they call for ambulances for Covid symptomatic/positive guests, so I think they would be pretty quick to get her to a hospital if necessary.

1 Like

I experienced anaphylaxis last year in Taipei and had to be rushed to the hospital. It was my first allergic reaction of any sort and was quite a scary experience.

Epipens are not available in Taiwan, so I recommend bringing a few from the US. This can help buy a decent amount of time in case of emergencies.

Many quarantine hotels ask you about allergens so mention them if you know the root cause. And yes, really try to find the root cause in the US if you can. It can save a lot of stress.

3 Likes

I’m shocked that such a simple life-saving product isn’t available here.

1 Like

God my memory’s awful. I was surprised too - and it looks like I was also surprised last year, in a discussion that started with @DunderMifflin’s post, in an exchange I participated in and yet have no memory of.