Non-legal aspects regarding advantages of having Taiwan Citizenship

The advantages of having citizenship here is being told by lot’s of foreigners who are pissed off about me being a citizen is they will tell me no matter I have citizenship I will never be accepted as a local citizen. From people on this forum claiming that naturalized citizens will never get those coveted bank loans etc. A friend of mine who has been here since 1984 after having dinner with me on Monday has decided to finally naturalize. He gets the fact that he has no ties to his country of citizenship, has no property or family there and never intends to live there again. He is setup for retirement in Taiwan. Why not get the benefits of citizenship for us old age persons.

I understand a lot of long termers plan not to retire in Taiwan and want to move back to their " home countries" if only they can get their Taiwanese partner to follow them. For them Taiwan is never home so citizenship here is irrelevant.

1 Like

What I love are those who tick all these boxes:

Born in Taiwan.
ONLY ever lived in Taiwan ALL THIER LIFE.
All their friends and immediate family are in Taiwan.
Chinese is their native language.

These people then typically say: “I don’t want to renounce my ‘birth’ citizenship.” LOL

There was even some guy with a Polish mother who could just change his APRC to Poland have his dual citizenship that way. He could keep his German/Polish (as Poland won’t allow renunciation) and have Taiwan citizenship.

I know these is an argument of if renouncing just one is legal… but I know of a Canadian/NZ citizen who asked the HHR registration office if he could switch to his Canadian citizenship on his APRC so as to renounce the Canadian, they said YES. He then went to immigration and explained what he was doing and was allowed to do it.

So then he renounced the crappy Canadian citizenship to gain Taiwan citizenship and retain his NZ citizenship.

Yeah imagine giving up citizenship of a country you have never lived in nor have any intention of ever living in. The horror? lol Especially when some of them already have dual citizenship from other EU countries and could choose one to renounce… It’s not like you lose anything renouncing one of the EU citizenships.

because parents raise them as foreigners in Taiwan. the country they visit once or twice a year it their home country.

I know of a person who claimed he was going to raise his mixed Taiwanese foreign kids in Taiwan as ethnically from his foreign country by not letting them even learn Chinese or speak to their Taiwanese mother in Chinese. Surely worked out well. His children were meant to go to International schools cause he would be earning millions. By the time his kids has to go to elementary school it was a local school where the kids had no Chinese ability at all.

1 Like

Ah yes. how to assimilate. raise your kids to be foreigners in the country they were born and raised in… what could possibly go wrong? lol People do the same thing in other countries then wonder why their kids clash with the culture of their parents from a country they were not brought up in.

2 Likes

You mean they spend 25 years of their 25 years of life, living away from their “home country” and go back for short vacations… And Taiwan isn’t their home country? They are sounding like part of the problem to me!

Then when they go to their “home country” wonder why they suffer from culture shock and don’t fit in lol. They run down to China Town to feel at home.

1 Like

LOL and start a youtube channel showing off their “impressive Chinese skills” as a white faced grown man :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

my kids can make their own decision on their citizenship in a few to several years, if we will still be here. let’s see how they will decide.

1 Like

I’d LOVE to see a follow up on this! LOL
Is he/she still in Taiwan or left? (Clearly looks down on Taiwanese people)

I’ll be honest and say I love it when my daughter speaks a little in Chinese to me. Or points at something and ask me how to say it in English

@Satellite_TV was at my house the other weekend with his ship navigator friend from Japan. We were playing Jenga and @Satellite_TV tries to team up with my daughter in Chinese. My daughter refused and only spoke English lol. She said she was being fair to everyone.

3 Likes

My son decided to get his Taiwan nationality when it was available at the right time. After all born and raised in Taiwan so he has best of both worlds.

It takes either 1 full year (in any period) to get household (provided you have been here the 3 or 5 years required to naturalize)

or

• two years, for more than 270 days a year
  • five years, for more than 183 days a year

I am unsure what mean by 2 years with one year being a full year. That is wrong

You have no dignity here? What have you been doing for the past 5 years living with no dignity?

Again, not the point. It’s Taiwan which has the discriminatory dual stance on dual citizenship, not my country. If Taiwanese also were not allowed dual citizenship, then this rule would change quickly. Also, giving up your citizenship is not trivial, even if you can get it back. There are things like property rights, pension rights etc that you would suddenly lose, and may not be so easy to get back.

1 Like

Please stop misinterpreting my posts. Little things like getting a phone contract, credit cards with certain companies are not allowed without a Taiwanese ID.

That’s nonsense.

Taiwan is doing this to everyone who naturalises. Regardless of where you’re from. Unless you are a special person which you (and I) are not.

Also, when faced with a problem you search for every solution you can. You don’t rule out one because of “principle” Wouldn’t it be a much better FU to use your home country to beat their system?

So what have you done to fix the problem. Or did you bend over like the rest of those here faced with these problems and let them … you?

those things may be bothersome enough to complain, but little enough not to try to change.

1 Like

Isn’t it wonderful to be cursed with choices. Lose money to gain a foreign citizenship or live with no dignity on an APRC JFRV ARC. hmmmm…

I liked it when I could not get citizenship back. Was a much better deal. Renunciation is good for the soul, shows commitment to the otherwise fleeting nomads. There is no anti dote for being a foreigner, that stranger living in a strange land feeling. No anti-dote for the crazy balance of your mind.

For me I made a home in the wilderness where I have a tin roofed abode, fresh air, and a rolling river nearby. For those living in the cities life is just a race between the traffic lights. When you have lived here long enough you will learn your life has run through your fingers like dust and your next adventure is on the slab, being sliced and diced as you have gone to the Grim Reaper.

That’s rude, and you’ve obviously never even tried as otherwise you’d know.