Non-Lethal Rat Trap?

I have a rat digging holes in my garden.

Anyone know where I can get a non lethal trap?

[quote=“ice raven”]I have a rat digging holes in my garden.

Anyone know where I can get a non lethal trap?[/quote]
You sure it’s a rat, not a mole? I know how to make non-lethal rat traps if yer sure.

I wasn’t sure if it was a snake or a rat until it started nibbling on my spuds.

I doubt you live anywhere near me, I’m in the Dong.

But if you could give some advice on how to make one, or what kind of places sell them, that would be great!

Get a large coffee tin. Something that has a strong, removable lid. About half-way down the tin (on each side) attach rubber bands ( you need to pierce the tin to do this). Attach the rubber bands to the lid (one on each side) and make sure they are tight enough to snap the lid tight enough so the quarry can’t escape. Next, pierce the tin and the lid both about halfway down. Make a loop of relatively firm wire on both so that the loop sticks out of the top of the can and the lid. The one on the can should have an extra length of wire to create a hook inside the can. The one on the lid firm, and the one inside the can free-moving. You then need a piece of very stiff wire (or a knitting/darning needle with a tapered end). Rats love carrots, and they are difficult to remove from a hook. Attach a piece of carrot to the hook. Precariously balance the stiff piece of wire so that it needs only a smidgeon of movement from the hook side to spring the stiff piece of wire and render the trap closed. Because the carrot is firm, the rat will attempt (with it’s forepaws) to remove the morsel and carry it away for a private feast. SNAP. BANG! It’s now trapped! Take it and dump it in your least favorite forumosan’s garden!
I caught a million rats with this method in my youth.

Now I just rat out other foreigners.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Get a large coffee tin. Something that has a strong, removable lid. About half-way down the tin (on each side) attach rubber bands ( you need to pierce the tin to do this). Attach the rubber bands to the lid (one on each side) and make sure they are tight enough to snap the lid tight enough so the quarry can’t escape. Next, pierce the tin and the lid both about halfway down. Make a loop of relatively firm wire on both so that the loop sticks out of the top of the can and the lid. The one on the can should have an extra length of wire to create a hook inside the can. The one on the lid firm, and the one inside the can free-moving. You then need a piece of very stiff wire (or a knitting/darning needle with a tapered end). Rats love carrots, and they are difficult to remove from a hook. Attach a piece of carrot to the hook. Precariously balance the stiff piece of wire so that it needs only a smidgeon of movement from the hook side to spring the stiff piece of wire and render the trap closed. Because the carrot is firm, the rat will attempt (with it’s forepaws) to remove the morsel and carry it away for a private feast. SNAP. BANG! It’s now trapped! Take it and dump it in your least favorite forumosan’s garden!

Now I just rat out other foreigners.[/quote]

can you post a pic for “one i did earlier” please.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Get a large coffee tin. Something that has a strong, removable lid. About half-way down the tin (on each side) attach rubber bands ( you need to pierce the tin to do this). Attach the rubber bands to the lid (one on each side) and make sure they are tight enough to snap the lid tight enough so the quarry can’t escape. Next, pierce the tin and the lid both about halfway down. Make a loop of relatively firm wire on both so that the loop sticks out of the top of the can and the lid. The one on the can should have an extra length of wire to create a hook inside the can. The one on the lid firm, and the one inside the can free-moving. You then need a piece of very stiff wire (or a knitting/darning needle with a tapered end). Rats love carrots, and they are difficult to remove from a hook. Attach a piece of carrot to the hook. Precariously balance the stiff piece of wire so that it needs only a smidgeon of movement from the hook side to spring the stiff piece of wire and render the trap closed. Because the carrot is firm, the rat will attempt (with it’s forepaws) to remove the morsel and carry it away for a private feast. SNAP. BANG! It’s now trapped! Take it and dump it in your least favorite forumosan’s garden!

Now I just rat out other foreigners.[/quote]

And for a really lethal one just do Jimi’s recipe and add a coke can with the top cut off and a hand grenade inside. What do you really do with those rats Jimi?

I just bought one at my local hardware store for 45nt. Freaking rat jumped off the kitchen counter while my husband was making tea one night :noway:

Could always go call the priest who hunts cats, I am sure he could snipe all your moles/rats/and assorted vermin

Nobody told him you’re supposed to kill them before preparing them for the pot? That’s men for ya, eh? Can’t be trusted with even the simplest of tasks.

JP, you can do a side business by making these contraptions and selling them here on the forum ‘humane catching of rats’!

Thanks Jimi, very interesting post, and very helpful, but I’m having problems picturing how the lid is attatched to the can. Could you post a pic please?

I see online one person bought a rat trap and attatched it to a coffee can, and the trap acted as a powerful spring that shut the door.

Sorry, mate, don’t have no pics. Haven’t made one for years. The lid isn’t attached to the can. The two elastics on either side of the can (and the lid) hold it in place.