Non-Meat Eaters Thread

[color=red]Edited: Even I didn’t know what the heck I wrote the second time I read it. :laughing:
[/color]
I don’t eat land meats but I eat seafood. On most days I eat only vegetables. 3-4 days a week I eat fish, prawns, lobster, or crab.

Here’s the problem: I CRAVE A BIG MAC SOMETIMES. Today I could shhhmell it. I could taste the soggy middle bun, the fattening thousand island sauce and the so-called “100% Pure” beef patties.

The non-smoking thing I’ve been fighting for years. But the no land meats thing has only been two years. How do you cope? What do you do? How do you not drool?

I don’t want to eat land meat. I’m also hoping to wean off seafood. I just want to know how to stop these weird Big Mac cravings.

How do you non-meat eaters deal?

You’re in trouble:

Scientists have found that plants have feelings too.

Time to start eating dirt and sunlight.

But wouldn’t it be ok to eat cold-blooded killers of sentient animals? That would put more food on your table, eh?

Um, seriously, do you eat turtles? Nothing funny intended. They’re cold-blooded, like all reptiles. They don’t appear bright enought to have feelings. If you do eat 'em, pls save the shells for me so I can practice carving oracle bones. Tenjew berrymud!

First, stay away from the choir boys and altar boys. Head straight for the convent. Lots o’ frustrated young nuns there, I’m told.

My brother was at the top level in ironman events. The 12 hour kill you type. He was fanatical about diet and did not eat red meat. I was veg at that time as well. He ended up with seriously anemia problems. I’ve listened to my body since that happened. Maybe yours is asking for red meat and you might have to find an iron source. Have you had any blood work done for B12 and haemaglobin?

An Uncle has had to cut tea out with his meals, he had the same problems due solely to the tea as mentioned below.

Maybe you just want a big mac. Just listing some possibilities to check.

Take a Mac…

I was a vegan for years. Sometimes I would force my ex (this could be why he is my ex) to eat the things I craved. I would sit and watch while he ate something I loved. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes I wanted to throw him on the ground and run off with the steak.

Mac Attack?

Just watch “Supersize Me.” That’ll put you off.

I haven’t eaten cow in nearly ten years. Nowadays I can’t even stand the smell of cow being cooked.

If I were you and the thought of eating a Big Mac popped into my head, I’d think back to the book “Fast Food Nation” which said that in one hamburger, there is meat from up to 100 different cows.

That simple fact is so absolutely repulsive to me, that I don’t worry much about even going back.

BTW, I totally agree that plants are sentient. They just can’t run away.

Do as I do, eat it sometimes (red meat that is) … ever couple of years a snake or leatherback turtle, once in a while a frog or two.

And … seafood

And tofu and stuff … stinky too sometimes

But mostly, dairy and veggies … and whole wheat and multi grane breads.

Forgot… fruits and cereals as well.

So, I eat a ‘balanced’ diet.

But also too much sweets lately … belgian chocolate and ice cream, piesa and other things I make here… :s

I was wrong again, it’s not leaterback turtle but snapper turtle … the ones they breed in Taiwan for consumption. They too have a soft shell back but they can bite off your finger. :noway:

Have you tried just getting a veggie burger from a breakfast shop?

I find it hard to understand because I absolutely never get cravings for meat. You said you want to stop with the seafood too, so maybe after you stop that, all the cravings will disappear.

There is also the possibility that your body crves iron or something that it is deficient in. Male vegetarians who eat dairy and eggs, and eat reasonably well, shouldn’t get iron or protein deficiencies, but females sometimes need extra iron when they menstruate. Good multivitamins should be sufficient for iron and zinc needs (and don’t take extra on top of this - too much is not good).

Brian

914, I was a vegetarian for 3 years. During that time I ate absolutely no meat or seafood. Just the thought of eating meat made me feel sick.

Then one day, I suddenly started craving meat again. I resisted for a while, sticking to my vegetarian ways, but then one day I snuck off by myself and had a big juicy steak. Oddly enough, I really didn’t enjoy it, but my 3-year vegetarian streak was broken and I couldn’t go back. I started sneaking things that I used to really love, like chicken strips and Wendy’s cheeseburgers. Eventually I had to announce to my family and friends that I was no longer a vegetarian.

It was so strange. When I was a veggie, it was such an important part of my life and I’m still totally opposed the inhumanity of the meat industry. But, I just don’t know how I could go back to being a veggie now, since enjoying all kinds of delicious Chinese dishes is one of my favorite favorite things in life.

I’ve said all that to say this: 914 don’t give in to the temptation. Trust me, that Big Mac isn’t worth it. Stick to your ideals -Don’t become a 偽君子 like me!

914: You could go here:

factoryfarming.com

…to remember why you stopped eating cows in the first place. And then go here:

farmsanctuary.org/

…to adopt a cow or some other animal. If you empathize with the animals you may acquire a distaste for sandwiches made from carcasses.

[quote=“jdsmith”]I haven’t eaten cow in nearly ten years. Nowadays I can’t even stand the smell of cow being cooked.

[/quote]
I’m curious. You said that you don’t eat beef (that is still what we call meat from a cow :wink: ), but do you eat other meats? Unless you can manage to find free range meats, pretty much everything we get in the supermarkets is factory farmed. The ways in which beef, chicken, pork or any othe kind of meat come to market are all equally disgusting to me, so I eat all of them.

That is true for me as well. When I was full on vegetarian I would cook barbecues for my friends and nearly be throwing up turning the meat.

I’d go to supermarkets and see kindly old ladies picking over the dead carcass of something (picking up a prepacked meat tray actually) and think how can they not know where that came from.

Worse still we still farm back in Australia and when I go home there are cows only a few feet from the dining room window when we eat.

Now, I enjoy vegetarian meals WITH MEAT. Fantastic mix of flavors.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“jdsmith”]I haven’t eaten cow in nearly ten years. Nowadays I can’t even stand the smell of cow being cooked.

[/quote]
I’m curious. You said that you don’t eat beef (that is still what we call meat from a cow :wink: ), but do you eat other meats? Unless you can manage to find free range meats, pretty much everything we get in the supermarkets is factory farmed. The ways in which beef, chicken, pork or any othe kind of meat come to market are all equally disgusting to me, so I eat all of them.[/quote]

Yes, I stopped eating cow for my gf/now wife. We happened by a small farm in Scotland on a trip. She thought they looked cute and asked me to not eat them anymore.

Thank god she didn’t ask me to stop boozing. :slight_smile:

But yes, I still eat most other meats. I find that meat may actually be beter in Taiwan as the small shops/kitchens I order food from get their meat via the blue truck side of pork delivery each morning…

I would love to go veggie; alas, getting started is a bitch.

Dear 914,

what keeps you from giving up Big Macs and seafood? You have your own will, so just do it!

I’m vegetarian since 8 years and vegan since 6, but was brought up as a meat-eater, so I know how good meat can taste. But I gave it up because of my compassion for animals.

Do you want your children to remember you as someone who satisfies his needs by killing helpless beings? I wouldn’t.

I’m not an ascetic, I like to eat and drink. I learned to satisfy my desires with a plant-based diet. Learn to cook, experiment with the many plant-based foods and you’ll find out what you like and what satisfies your hunger. You’ll see that you won’t need animal products anymore to be happy.

Take a look at myAcademy.tv if you don’t think you can manage it alone.

Yours,

Ralph.

And remember 914, cover your ears as you slurp down those oysters next week, so you don’t hear their tiny voices screaming in shellfish terror when they feel the sting of the Tabasco. :wink:

As A. Robbins would say … “you haven’t got enough leverage on yourself” which really means you haven’t found enough compelling and/or motivating reasons to STOP you from the infamous “Mac attack.”

Basically you need to associate massive pain to the idea of eating meat (think heart attack, early death, barbaric slaughtering of animals, etc.) and on the other hand you need to associate massive amounts of pleasure to the idea of eating veggies (think … clean colon, boundless energy, love of animals, etc.).

It’s really that simple, though the reasons are different for everyone. You just need to find the ones that are relevant (and deeply meaningful) to you personally. Those are the triggers!

I’ve been off meat for about 10 years now, and two things did it for me (again, not to say that’s going to help you):
a) new information - specifically a book called ‘Diet for a New America’
b) rediscovering my connection to others (animals included) through meditation

Good luck with it.
M

I’m a vegetarian for I don’t know how many years, about 13 I guess. Just from one day to the other, I stopped eating meat and seafood and never had a craving for it. I never liked meat anyways and not eating seafood from where I come from is a peace of cake :wink:

I didn’t even eat meat or seafood during my year in Mainland, even though it was really, really difficult.

Then someday, I decided to eat seafood again as I spent more and more time in Asia and it was quite difficult to get veggie food.

This went on for years. Until one day a few years ago at Shilin nightmarket I just had to have one of these chicken thingies. I confess. Gosh, it was really good, but I had such a bad conscience afterwards and never did it again. I never had a craving for it again anyways. :unamused:

Do whateve you wanna do 914. Don’t be a slave of your principles.